Adding ultimate dining package

kristy29

Hi all. I am sailing on the gem in April, it will be me and my boyfriend and boyfriend's brother and his wife in one room. We did the take all 5 promotion, but I put the guys as 1 and 2 in the room because they drink and us girls don't. But then they got the dining package as well. Can anyone tell me what the cost would be to add the dining package for the 2 of us? They are men who like meat so I know they will want to eat at the 2 steakhouse most nights so if it's reasonably priced it might be worth it for us to add the dining package for the 2 of us versus paying out of pocket or making them go to the free restaurants and waste their perk.

OP

You/they have already paid the 18% gratuity on the dining package perk.

For the money approx $81.00 ( 69.00+18% gratuity) to purchase it's worth it to enjoy more of a "restaurant " feel than the huge dining rooms.

You mentioned 2 Steakhouses ( Cagney's/Moderno) , I assume. Cagney's was fantastic! Didn't eat at Moderno but for meat eaters it's well worth it from numerous reports. Also has a fantastic salad bar.

I would recommend that you book the restaurants ahead of time. We ran into trouble when we got the dining package, we were unable to use all of them up since the restaurants were fully booked. They would not refund it or let us transfer the it towards our kids (we didn't buy them the dining package). Keep in mind we were sailing over New Years so it was probably a busier time. We booked 3 restaurants before sailing but wanted to save the 4th to see what we were in the mood for. All restaurants were booked by the 3rd night of the cruise.

It is the the 3 meal specialty dining, does that mean only 3 days? Which 3 days? I didn't realize when we booked it that it wasn't for the whole cruise. I guess it's ok, we can do the steakhouses the 3 days and the free restaurants the other days.

Beerman, I went to moderno on breakaway and I really enjoyed it. I know my meat loving boyfriend will enjoy the all you can eat aspect of it lol.

Vitamincruise, thanks for the tip. I've only been on ncl once, it was the breakaway 2 years ago. We had pre booked 2 specialty restaurants but decided at the last minute on the last day to do moderno. We got the last time slot of the night, guess we got lucky but I won't take that chance this time.

Thanks for all the responses!

OP

You/they have already paid the 18% gratuity on the dining package perk.

For the money approx $81.00 ( 69.00+18% gratuity) to purchase it's worth it to enjoy more of a "restaurant " feel than the huge dining rooms.

You mentioned 2 Steakhouses ( Cagney's/Moderno) , I assume. Cagney's was fantastic! Didn't eat at Moderno but for meat eaters it's well worth it from numerous reports. Also has a fantastic salad bar.

I just saw somewhere (from a travel agent) that the gratuities are going to 20% as of Dec. 1st). Someone please check this out also as I find it steep.