Toddlers - Swimming Pools

jprotzel

Some of the Princess ships have "splash pools" that allow swim diapers. It's a tiny pool (the size of a hot tub) that is part of the outdoor kids' area (you can see it on the deck plan). My one-year old twins LOVED this pool when we were on the Sapphire. There was never anyone in it. It is very shallow, so even my daughter who doesn't stand yet was able to sit and crawl around with no problem. There is a small slide and we brought inflatable beach balls for extra fun. Note though that because it's completely enclosed by a fence, there is no room for a lounge chair for a parent - which didn't bother me because I played in the pool with the girls.

Best,

Mia

Jackie

I don't believe toddlers in swim diapers are allowed in any pool. As

stated in another thread, we brought a small blow up pool which our

room steward was very happy to get blown up for us. We used it

in our shower and also took it up to the aft pool and found a little

niche beside the pool to put it. It was in no ones way and there

were no other blow up pools there.

A couple of the other toddlers aboard came over to play and enjoy.

We filled the pool from the shower rinse water and disposed of the

water the same way. The aft pool is less crowded and our toddler

was able to cool off on the days at sea.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

How about the Carnival pools? Do they have any special place for the toddlers. Our youngest will be 2 yrs old this August when we cruise on the Valor.
The carnival miracle had a small kiddie pool up on the top deck by the smoke stack that had a lot of swimmy diaper kids in it.It only had a few inches of water in it and our daughter did just fine in it.

• 2 weeks later...

We took our then 15month old on Navigator and there were no kiddie pools. My understanding was that your child must be potty trained and not in a diaper of any kind to go in the pools. While on Navigator I saw a number of kids in the pool with diapers. I just let my daughter walk around the shallow part where the water would splash up and she was just find doing that. We also had a mini blow up pool on our balcony for her.

We just got back from the Sapphire and like Mia mentioned, there was a "splash" pool but you had to go through the kid areas to get to it. Only one adult could be with the child in the kid area. My daughter was/is potty trained so she could use any pool but she still preferred the splash pool. No one was ever in it. BUT, right above the pool there was a sign that said swim diapers were not allowed. I know they didn't follow that rule because I saw parents carrying their diapered babies through the kid area, past the crew that worked there and into the pool. Anyway, that's just been our experience thus far.

My son will be almost three when we're on the Carnival Inspiration in a few weeks. He's not potty trained, but he does have good...control. He's never "dirtied" bath or pool water. If I put him in a swim diaper and covered it with a bathing suit, I don't think anyone would be able to tell that he was in a diaper. And even if he did have an accident, it would be contained. Does this sound like a bad plan?

My son will be almost three when we're on the Carnival Inspiration in a few weeks. He's not potty trained, but he does have good...control. He's never "dirtied" bath or pool water. If I put him in a swim diaper and covered it with a bathing suit, I don't think anyone would be able to tell that he was in a diaper. And even if he did have an accident, it would be contained. Does this sound like a bad plan?

Yes, it is a bad,unsanitary plan. Swim diapers do not hold in BM's which can contaminate the water. Why pose a risk to other passengers?

The carnival miracle had a small kiddie pool up on the top deck by the smoke stack that had a lot of swimmy diaper kids in it.It only had a few inches of water in it and our daughter did just fine in it.

We are on the Miracle in May, so I called and asked about this. The Triumph had a similar pool on the same high deck (windy as hell up there too! :mad: )

This is a children's pool which is 1 foot deep and 9 feet in diameter. It is for small children. The Carnival Rep told me swim diapers are not a problem here, and they have never enforced this rule in the children's wading/splash pool

The other pools, different story. If Carnival doesn't kick ya out I bet other passengers would based on what I read on these boards! :eek:

• 1 month later...

One Step Ahead has bathing suits with built in, invisible to the eye, swim diapers built in. You wear them very tight.

DD isn't quite potty trained yet, but she might be by the time we go on the cruise. That being said, I'm a big fan of keeping a pull up, swim or otherwise, on until we are sure, sure, sure, and just use pull up as a form of underwear. In our local pools, we'll use a swim diaper throughout the summer, just in case...

Given the outrage of passengers who see a swim diaper, the One Step Ahead swim suits w/ built in diapers might be an insurance policy without flipping out fellow passengers. I just think it is worse to assume child is 99% potty trained, but not use a swim diaper because it upsets other passengers to see them. Ideally, we'll stay out of pool area entirely, but it just might not be realistic.

Here's a poll: has anyone every found poop in a swim diaper? I have 2 kids and there's never been poop. I don't think kids poop while swimming in cold water.

I

Sorry....I just do NOT get it

I had not thought much about babies onboard...but after reading some of you figuring ways to take untrained infants in pools I am simply sick

don't you know that most of the pools are NOT chorinated?? except for princess..and they are NOT set up for swim diapers

this is just disgusting...

also think of the other little kids in these pools..maybe babies big sister or brother....what if they get sick from your infants mess??

please stop with the rationalization...I think the cruise lines should read som e of this 'poop" in this thread

it is simply unsanitary..

I realize that you want a good vacation, that you do have to pay for the infant *mostly cause the ship counts each passenger towards it's capacity,

and I think most people will be tolerant of a baby being fussy or whatever

but swimming?? that is simply disgusting....these pools are NOT set up for this

look at the norovirus and stuff that goes around these ships....who knows what this could bring?

Sadly it is other little kids who are at risk....you take your untrained infants where other little kids are swimming...

well...I hope people see you and question you and report you

this is just unsafe and unsanitary

kudos to the intelligent and caring parents who can read the ship rules NO swim diapers, NO un potty trained babies in the pools

Thanks, kaki, for the info on the kiddie pool. We, too, will be aboard the Miracle in May. (May 21st to be precise). Our 1 year old LOVES the water so it'll be nice for her to enjoy some quality splash time.

Cheers,

Kimberly

Unfortunately Kaki was wrong...no un potty trained kids in pools

no swim diapers

there is NO pool on these ships for babies, sorry, some of the staff may be too "nice" or uniformed...but please..think about it

NO chlorine

and the "little pool" you are thinking about is for little (potty trained) kids

you are putting them at risk

can't you read the cruise rules?? NO infants in pools

just like no one can go in and smoke a cigar in the dining room...not even for the "customary photo op"

or people can't decide to bring their hunting rifle on board for a 'photo op"

and you can't set up a barbq grill on your balcony

some things are for being "nice"...but others are for health...of the whole ship

please read your cruise docs and do a little research

It is my understanding that RCCL does not allow any child, in any kind of a diaper in the pools. We will be taking a blow up swimming pool for our balcony as recommended by wentworth on another thread.

Thanks..this is a good idea, I hope some of these other parents can be as sensible and intelligent as you are thanks

Okay, if there's no chlorine in the pool, it isn't safe for anyone. Why in the world would anyone have a pool without chlorine? We're not even talking about diapers here. All people carry a certain amount of bacteria on them at all times. Would you take a bath with strangers? There are all sorts of diseases that can fester without chlorine. Chlorine is a must. I'm concerned that diseases spread on cruise ships because they aren't clean enough. What could possess them to have pools without chlorine?

In a chlorine pool, I'm not worried about siblings catching anything from younger kids. There's chlorine. I will not set foot (not even my foot) in a pool without chlorine. What are these ships thinking?

Okay, if there's no chlorine in the pool, it isn't safe for anyone. Why in the world would anyone have a pool without chlorine? We're not even talking about diapers here. All people carry a certain amount of bacteria on them at all times. Would you take a bath with strangers? There are all sorts of diseases that can fester without chlorine. Chlorine is a must. I'm concerned that diseases spread on cruise ships because they aren't clean enough. What could possess them to have pools without chlorine?

In a chlorine pool, I'm not worried about siblings catching anything from younger kids. There's chlorine. I will not set foot (not even my foot) in a pool without chlorine. What are these ships thinking?

Most cruise lines pools are SALT water, which does not need the chlorine then. The hot tubs are freshwater, but really NO child should be in a hot tub ever...read the medical advice on that one.

Princess has fresh water pools...but small, and not heavily chlorinated /filtered the way a "baby swim" pool SHOULD be

that is why smart people "freak out" when they see you with a swim diaper in even a regular public pool

here in florida, most condo/neighborhood/family backyard pools and hotel pools are NOT set up for babies in swim diapers

I know of a few community pools that offer baby swim classes etc, they would have a small pool especially filtered for this, with appropriate rules

This may seem "mean" but I am sorry....if people don't follow guidelines like "no jeans in dining room" that may hurt one's sensibilities, but to not follow the swim pool rules could really hurt someone's health...far more important

unfortunately , the ones who might be affected will be the other small kids in the pool where a leak occurs...remember these are small pools to start with so the "concentration" is greater

e colli is a real threat

then think>> kids infected, pass to parents, and then can spread to others on the ship

I really hope you reread some of the stuff on this thread and think it thru

People do and will 'freak" when they see a baby in a pool ...with good reason

An individual crew member or an employee trying to get you to book or to appease or please you may tell you what you want to hear, but I do not think any of these cruises are set up for this and do NOT allow this

Disney? yes it seems they do, maybe others should have a little "spray" area or "sprinkler" area where the little ones can run around, as that would be more sanitary,

I doubt most mass lines will have a true "baby swim" pool as those have a LOT of chlorine, a very expensive extra filtration, and then we would hear people complaining about the chlorine etc. Those sort of pools really are for teaching babies to swim, not for hanging out in most times

From reading here, seems some people take a small blow up pool or "tub" for their balcony which might be a good solution, just be sure to have someone figure how to drain it, the room steward could help, so that the water is not put onto someone else's balcony

and of course on port days, most likely a beach trip is the easiest and best choice with an infant, so there is the OCEAN <grin>

have a great trip, but please please do THINK about the small/concentrated pools, no cholorine, and the consequences of sneaking in a baby ...to the other kids, to the other people on the ship, even to your own family. thanks

Sorry....I just do NOT get it

I had not thought much about babies onboard...but after reading some of you figuring ways to take untrained infants in pools I am simply sick

don't you know that most of the pools are NOT chorinated?? except for princess..and they are NOT set up for swim diapers

this is just disgusting...

also think of the other little kids in these pools..maybe babies big sister or brother....what if they get sick from your infants mess??

please stop with the rationalization...I think the cruise lines should read som e of this 'poop" in this thread

it is simply unsanitary..

I realize that you want a good vacation, that you do have to pay for the infant *mostly cause the ship counts each passenger towards it's capacity,

and I think most people will be tolerant of a baby being fussy or whatever

but swimming?? that is simply disgusting....these pools are NOT set up for this

look at the norovirus and stuff that goes around these ships....who knows what this could bring?

Sadly it is other little kids who are at risk....you take your untrained infants where other little kids are swimming...

well...I hope people see you and question you and report you

this is just unsafe and unsanitary

kudos to the intelligent and caring parents who can read the ship rules NO swim diapers, NO un potty trained babies in the pools

Sharecruises:

I think you make some valid points but I think the tone of your post is a little harsh. I don't think ANYONE is trying to "rationalize" being unsanitary.

You say "don't you know that the pools aren't chlorinated" - NO I didn't mainly because though I have been on several cruises, I have never gone in the pool. But now I questioning whether I will dip so much as a toe in the adult pool myself.

I would NEVER think of taking my child who isn't potty trained into the pool that is off limits and I don't condone those who do. If there is an area where it is appropriate for my child to enjoy in her swim diaper, then I will use it. If not, I am taking a blow up pool for her. However, I think you are a being a bit naive if you don't think that older children who are potty-trained (and some adults) aren't peeing in the adult pool. In other words, it isn't just the babies/toddlers you should be worried about.

Also, what about when you go to the beach? There are a lot of "unsanitary" things in that water...and I am sorry but you aren't keeping me from putting my child in the water there.

Overall, Share, you sound like you have a biased against babies in general. Your comments such as "most people being tolerant for children being fussy or whatever" and "I realize you want a good vacation" are very prejudicial against parents and families. Yes, we have a right to a good time as long as we are respectful of other guests. But the same can be said of everyone. In other words, my fussy baby is no more disturbing than someone's obnoxious husband who has had too much to drink. We should ALL be respectful cruisers. You are insinuating that parents should just sit at home until their children are grown.

I guess I take offense to this because my child IS very well behaved and is a good traveler. She made a 8 hour international journey to the UK at 8 months and not a peep out of her the whole time. The airline attendants complimented her on her behaviour. By the same token, we had to listen to 3 jerks talk loudly, sing, and bellow for 8 hours.

I just think that you came in on the middle of a conversation where parents were exchanging information and BLASTED us as if we were criminals.

Sorry if you feel I am being harsh...I only came to this thread cause of another one on the other board where again moms were "sharing" ideas of how to let babies swim in swim diapers

The ocean is a whole lot bigger than a tiny confined pool..:)

Yes, I am sure there are kids who are not that well behaved in pools, that is a scary thought...that is why I will probably use the adult hot tub in the gym area if anything, honestly reading some of this stuff is just scary

I do hope people will keep their kids out of the adult hot tubs, not to mention that hot tubs are NOT reccomended for any kids, let alone babies

I guess some older folks could ...make a mess too ?? I don't know...it is something to think about. I think I was simply shocked when I read the various ways that parents would try to "work around" the rules. I hope the staff on the ships will stop this, but many of them are out for the tips, and are trying to just keep things "happy" so who knows??

I think that most of you do know that little babies are not allowed in pools in swim diapers, that is why there are all these posts telling "how" to hide the swim diapers or get around the issue.

I personally do not feel that strongly about some stuff that people get upset about, like if you wear jeans I may not think it is great, but it wont make me sick

But...a baby's dirty diaper, could get the kids in the pool sick...could spread to parents....could be that they touch stuff in the buffet line...others get sick

you know...all these "sick cruises" start somewhere don't they??

Here and on the other thread we have people simply sharing ideas of how to sneak their kid into a pool with swim diapers or sneak an untrained infant into a pool

Disney apparently has a pool or spray for babies, that might be a good idea, or you might suggest it to the cruiselines..

this is not just about being "polite" or "manners">>> this is about health issues.

You know...some of the replies and the posts by parents of infants are really scary...

It is not a matter of "i want">> I know that babies can be on board, I don't have a problem with that....I expect their parents to follow the rules and health guidelines....period. Then NO problem right?

However, in both this thread and in other threads I see over and over that parents of infants seem to want to bend the rules or bring up irrelevant things like people's bladder control when drinking

I hate to say it, but thanks for letting me and others know of the way that people are getting around these health rules. As other people said on the other thread, some of the parents are very flippant about this and seem to want to find loopholes and ways to sneak their kid in.

The funny part is...in a few years when your little one IS potty trained and able to use the pools, you would be the first ones to get upset if another parent snuck their untrained infant in and your child got sick from their feces

Think about it...after reading this stuff I dont even plan to go into a pool to be honest with you, but I do worry about the little kids that you want your swimdiapered baby to share the pool with

Urine is sterile - feces are not!
If you say so,i guess that makes it ok.Did you ever hear"we don't swim in your toilet,please don't pee in our pool"bottom line is it's disgusting no matter who's doing it.I'll even go one step further that if you took a water sample out of the regular pool and the kids pool and analyzed it,It would probably be pretty close which one is worse.Most people police there kids pretty well.Can't say that for alot of the adults.