Seattle hotel prices extremely high?

geomancer

I'm leaving out of Seattle the end of August and I'm looking at hotels, and they're blowing me away in just how expensive they are. Over 200-300/night, even for budget hotels.

Is this something that's better booking closer to last minute than a year out?

I wanted to use my Hilton points, but they want 70,000 !!!! points a night. That's double anywhere else.

I'm having horrible sticker shock. Starting to think I should just fly in the day of the cruise and take the risk.

I am guessing you haven't looked at Hilton family members in Ft Lauderdale during peak season. Similar prices. Supply and demand. I am paying $300 at an Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale Nov 5...partly cruise season, partly Boat Show.

As commonly discussed here, cheaper by the airport.

And what would you lose if you missed your sailing?

Seattle is extremely pricey and rack rates will not go down closer to your intended stay.

We flew into SEA on 9/1 and had booked the Best Western Airport but had a $100 BW gift card that brought the room rate down to $113 - in other words, it would have cost us $213 out of pocket. Booked Seattle Express shuttle to pier 91.

We stayed several nights at the Moore Hotel post cruise. It’s just a couple of blocks from Pikes Place on 2nd and Virginia Ave - and only paid $124 a night, and that’s the normal rack rate!!! It’s an historic hotel and some rooms have a shared bath - ours was private. Large, clean rooms but beware they do not have AC - not a huge issue for us as the windows open and it was pleasantly cool during the evenings.

Check them out......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have stayed at the Moore the last two times in Seattle and echo what the other poster said about it - the only concern some people have is that some rooms can be noisy from the street noise or if there is a concert at the adjacent Moore theater so ask for a room on the quieter side of the hotel.

Cheers!

Dennis

/grumble

I know I was ranting, apologies for that, I was just shocked that Seattle would be more expensive than manhattan.

I looked again near the airport and was able to get a room at the Hampton Inn for 30k points. More than I would like, but far better than the 70k downtown.

We plan to just use Uber. Since shuttles charge per person, they're not cheap for us.

And what would you lose if you missed your sailing?

A sea day. Not ideal by far, but we do have insurance. I'm wanting to arrive the day earlier to instead have flexibility in flights. Coming from the East Coast I don't relish the idea of getting up at 3 AM to catch an early enough flight.

Seattle summer hotel rates are insane and have been for the last four or five years.

My advice is to book a refundable rate that won’t put you into bankruptcy and start checking about three months out, up to your day of arrival. There’s a bunch of capacity coming online downtown over the next two years and nobody quite knows how much pricing effect will be seen.

Keep checking back and re-book as necessary. I have a post-cruise two night stay at the airport Best Western for $149/night for June 2018. Booked via booking.com. I also have a one night stay booked at the Fairfield at the airport for $146 (booked a Marriott Rewards Member special that is no longer available). I tried to add a second night and the rate changed to over $200, so that's why I booked the BW instead.

We're not sure if we're staying one or two nights yet; will cancel one when our schedule firms up.

I'm leaving out of Seattle the end of August and I'm looking at hotels, and they're blowing me away in just how expensive they are. Over 200-300/night, even for budget hotels.

Is this something that's better booking closer to last minute than a year out?

I wanted to use my Hilton points, but they want 70,000 !!!! points a night. That's double anywhere else.

I'm having horrible sticker shock. Starting to think I should just fly in the day of the cruise and take the risk.

I booked a money/points at the downtown Hampton Inn. Still pricey, but worth it by being downtown.

/grumble

I know I was ranting, apologies for that, I was just shocked that Seattle would be more expensive than manhattan.

I looked again near the airport and was able to get a room at the Hampton Inn for 30k points. More than I would like, but far better than the 70k downtown.

We plan to just use Uber. Since shuttles charge per person, they're not cheap for us.

A sea day. Not ideal by far, but we do have insurance. I'm wanting to arrive the day earlier to instead have flexibility in flights. Coming from the East Coast I don't relish the idea of getting up at 3 AM to catch an early enough flight.

Could lose almost your whole cruise. Especially if your sailing Seattle-Alaska-Vancouver-Seattle. Won't be allowed to board in Alaska.

We are cruising to Alaska out of Seattle May 2018. Booked flight and one night at Hampton Inn and Suites, SeaTac. Flying out of Richmond, VA, flights and hotel were $1,079, 2 people. Much better than cruise line booking. And breakfast included. Plus hotel picks us up. Going to use Seattle Express to and from Pier 91. Non-refundable, BUT credit card provides free travelers insurance! Hope it's not TMI!

There are a few things that come to mind for this post. You are VERY early to expect rates for August 2018? to be a good rate now. What we have done numerous times is find a place that you are interested in....make a reservation with just using your cc number but they don't charge you until your visit (be sure to cancel your reservation if you don't use them).

We have used different ways to get a good deal and this time for our May 2018 visit we booked our first Airbnb.com and boy are we happy. We have weekend rates, very close to Pier 91 area and walkable or Uber to Pikes Market area for $200 for the weekend!!! Super cute place and so excited.

We also still have a reservation that we made (need to cancel) near the airport at Cedarbrook Lodge for same weekend for $386 which was also a good rate for that time BUT too far away from Downtown for our liking.

I have plenty of good information and a $40 off first Airbnb visit if you want to email me at home so I can provide that to you as well as a great private towncar service we like etc. This will be our fourth time to Alaska as it is such a great trip. Email me if you want some discount codes and a lead to the cute place we have reserved for May/June 2018. Compson351@cox.net

Happy travels whatever you decide to do ! Charlene

As a Hilton Honors member myself, I recommend SeaTac Doubletree or Hampton Inn on 28th. Have also stayed at Doubletree at Southcenter. All have shuttle to/from airport. I gave up on downtown hotels a few yrs. ago. I don't think 30,000 points is bad at all. What I expect to pay for an airport hotel.

Doubletree at SeaTac is a Seattle Express stop. You can book online and they will take you to the port.

Roz

We will be a family of 6 including two small children.

We would like to spend several days in Seattle.

Which hotel would you recommend?

I agee about the prices.

We were planning to go to NYC for a few days this month and gave up on the idea because hotels are so expensive. The taxes are high. They often add on a Resort fee (this seems to be the new trend) and of course parking is expensive. We felt that all added in would be over $500 and not worth it.

So I guess we now will put that money towards a Seattle hotel!

I agee about the prices.

We were planning to go to NYC for a few days this month and gave up on the idea because hotels are so expensive. The taxes are high. They often add on a Resort fee (this seems to be the new trend) and of course parking is expensive. We felt that all added in would be over $500 and not worth it.

We stayed at the Moore hotel as well; 2 adults 2 children. Huge room and bathroom. 2 queen beds. We were facing the street but heard no noise.

I could not find anything downtown with tax and fees under 300. But since I am only staying one night and want to do a little sightseeing the day we arrive and then go to Pike Market the morning of the cruise I felt it was worth it. Book thru the hotel sites and you can always cancel. Staying at Hyatt House Diwntown with free breakfast Right next to Space Needle and monorail

I agee about the prices.

With 6 people you would be better off renting an apartment thru VRBO or Home Away. We (3) rented a cute apt that slept 4 in the Belltown area for our July visit especially since you will be spending several days. We were able to walk to Pikes Market and the Space Needle/ Chihuly Gardens.. Have used VRBO for many rentals over the years, even for Europe and have not been disappointed, just read the reviews for each place you are interested in.

I could not find anything downtown with tax and fees under 300. But since I am only staying one night and want to do a little sightseeing the day we arrive and then go to Pike Market the morning of the cruise I felt it was worth it. Book thru the hotel sites and you can always cancel. Staying at Hyatt House Diwntown with free breakfast Right next to Space Needle and monorail

Did you look at the Moore?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out the Cedarbrook Lodge close to the airport, it's really lovely resort and the prices are very reasonable. It's a lot classier than the average hotel downtown, it includes breakfast and airport transportation. Check the rates as they have reduced rates for different groups, such as AARP, AAA. We are staying there before our cruise in May-already booked. Held with a credit card and you can cancel up until 2 days before your stay.

I really enjoy Cedarbrook. It is close to the Amtrak Tukwila station as well as the airport. That said, it is a ways from downtown Seattle and isn't that city feel at all. Another option if you are willing to leave Seattle are places in Tacoma. There are some lovely museums there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...