Sharing private islands

tnblomdahl

With some of the eastern Caribbean ports and islands needing a lot of repairs because of the hurricanes, I wonder if the cruise lines will open up their private islands to competitor cruise lines to help keep business flowing. Cruisers may get tired of going to the western islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by tnblomdahl

With all the cruise lines with private islands being affected by closed ports I would imagine that very little sharing will happen as they will need them for their own cruises. Also it gets into a logistics issue of how do you set up for a port that you haven't been to before.

My first question would be how many cruises is the average cruiser going to do in a single season that they would get tired of the Western Caribbean.

Second comment would be that some of the Southern Caribbean ports are, as of now, untouched.

Third comment would be that there are a number of variables. Capacity and current bookings for the private islands would be a key issue. Particularly as many of the private islands are within 12 or so sailing hours of the Florida ports, so they are usually visited on the first or last day of cruises. Thus cruise starting or ending dates would have been changed to maximize private island use, or ships might have to sail in slow circles off Florida to fit in newly scheduled private island visits.

I am sure each cruise line is looking at all options to get past this upcoming season.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival Ecstasy is now going to Princess Cays on the 10-day Journeys Cruise from Charleston on Nov. 5. Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk, Princess Cays, and an extra sea day is replacing St. Thomas, St. Marten, Tortola, Dominican Republic, and San Juan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a lot of Carnival itineraries including Princess Cays lately...moreso than before. Makes sense since Carnival PLC also owns Princess.

I remember a while back when Royal was "sharing" CocoCay, with Carnival stopping there on some itineraries, but that has ceased. (Darnit....I'd have liked to visit CC on a Carnival ship.)