bigger passenger

closure

I posted on the carnival board too, but was directed here. My fiance is a bigger guy, 400lbs+. He has no physical limitations other than his sleep apnea machine if that even counts. I was just wondering what problems we might encounter on a cruise.

On most cruise ships, in rooms with only a shower, the shower stall is small. Really small. The old joke is that you soap the walls and spin. You might want to verify the shower situation on the ship and for the specific room you are choosing.

I posted on the carnival board too, but was directed here. My fiance is a bigger guy, 400lbs+. He has no physical limitations other than his sleep apnea machine if that even counts. I was just wondering what problems we might encounter on a cruise.

I see you found this board! :D Do come back and check .. questions aren't always gotten to right away, but I'm pretty sure you'll get some more responses in a day or two!

In addition to then shower and toilet as other posters has mentioned , the dining chairs with arms may be a concern. Also the plastic molded deck furniture may also be an issue.

If the flight is full and the airlines requires you to have purchased to seats and you didn't, than you could be bumped from the flight.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Closure, the showers on Carnival are bigger than those on Princess, RCCL and Celebrity. He should NOT have a problem in the shower. If he feels a little claustrophic, he can always go up to the gym/spa area and use those showers - they are bigger.

i am like your fiancee. I make sure i research the cruise ships and look at tons of pictures of the public areas on the ship before i make any reservations. I would suggest you find any photos of the bathrooms in the cabin and if they are not appropriate, see if there are any wheelchair accessible cabins available. One thing ppl think, when viewing a larger passenger, is that they aren't handicapped cause they aren't in a wheelchair. But simply put, on some ships, it is an impossibility to use the bathrooms in the regular cabins. In those instances, an accessible room is the only way you'll be able to cruise. While the toilet is still often situated near a wall on one side, it has no wall on the otherside, which allows for accessibility. My first 2 cruises, the toilet was in an ok spot so i could use a regular cabin. On this cruise, it's tucked in a little alcove/stall.

Please be sure to contact the accessibility department of the cruise line and let them know your fiancee will be requiring alternative seating in venues that only have armchairs in them. It's a PITA to have to do that and quite embarassing to have an extra special chair hauled in, but it's necessary in order to have full access to all venues in the ship.

As far as treatment, ppl view BHMs in a much more positive light than BBWs, even the "supersize" ones so i wouldn't worry too much as to how he'll be treated. Besides, you'll never see these folks again so screw them if they have an issue. Just be nice, smile and kill them with kindness.

as for excursions, some excursions have a weight limit so you'll have to research those. THey're mainly the physical ones like parasailing, zipline, cave tubing and airboat riding. He probably won't be able to participate in them anyway but it's something to keep in mind.

hmmm, trying to think of anything else. Obviously, there's the airline issue but i'm sure he's had to deal with that before. There are plenty of elevators on the ship, so no worries about that. I would say my biggest piece of advice, is to reasearch, research, research. I am going on my October cruise, knowing that there are only 2 spots in the entire ship that i cannot have access to. But the accessibility department is also working with me to resolve that issue.

Tell your fiancee to go, have fun and live life to the fullest. Good luck and Bon VOyage.

Edited by MissRabbit

No one mentioned that the doorway is only about 21 inches. Getting in easily may depend on how/where he carries his weight.

fat squishes. lolol

trust me, you learn super quick to do the sideways twist to easily get through smaller entries like that.

21" doorways are small, but not so much doin the twist :)

A flight excursion has weight limits. If you are wanting to do one of those, you need to ask if this would not be a problem. He might be required to purchase 2 seats if they even will let him go.

I'm just glad you don't let anything keep you from enjoying life to the fullest. On our last cruise there was BHM that was a pleasure to watch. At the deck party after leaving Cozumel, he was right in the middle of the line dancing, etc. and kept up with all of the YSP (young skinny people). He was a really good dancer, and so obviously enjoyed himself, that everyone around him had more fun because of him.

My husband and I are large people too. We sailed on the Pride in September 09 in a balcony cabin. We both found the bathroom to be comfortable. The shower was way bigger than we expected. The dining room is very accomodating about providing armless chairs. We only had to ask once. The only area we had a problem was the perimeter tables and chairs near the pool area. They have armed chairs that were pretty narrow. The buffett area also had armed chairs, but they also had a booth-like side that was pretty roomy. Alot of the clubs, bars, and theater have bench/couch seating that is very comfortable.

Enjoy your cruise! I know we did!

I'm also 400+ and sailed on the Carnival Ecstasy in March in a regular outside cabin. The doors were fine. There's a step up into the bathroom, but I learned to propel myself through that door after I tried it a time or two. If your future hubby is used to solving size-related problems in every day life, he'll be fine on the cruise. I was worried about the shower but the whole bathroom on the Carnival Ecstasy could get wet, so I just stood partially in the shower and partially outside to get all soaped up, then squeezed in to rinse off, and it wasn't that big of a squeeze. They give you lots of towels, so getting the floor wet isn't a problem.

The dining room chairs were great, and some of the chairs on the ship with arms worked too. For the ones that didn't (buffet area and on deck), you can ask for an armless chair and someone will get one for you. There was only one outlet in our cabin so we did bring a power strip. If should be allowed since it's medically necessary, just be sure it's a good quality one so it doesn't present a fire hazard.

The toilet is mounted on the wall and is close to the wall, but I didn't have any problems with it. A fellow supersize BBW traveler felt hers was unstable so she asked for reinforcement and they took care of it immediately by putting some sorts of blocks (wood, I think) under the toilet and caulking it in place.

Happy Honeymooning! (Our 19th anniversary is on 10/26!)

My husband and I are also plus size. At women's 3x, I was happily able to use the robe Carnival provided, but at Men's Big and Tall 4x , my husband didn't even try. Other than that, everything everyone else said is true. NO problems.

My husband and I are also plus size. At women's 3x, I was happily able to use the robe Carnival provided, but at Men's Big and Tall 4x , my husband didn't even try. Other than that, everything everyone else said is true. NO problems.

Yeah i'm not going to even attempt to use the robes provided for us in the cabin. I wish they had larger sizes.

I hate that so many toilets are now just suspended from the wall. I swear i feel like it's just going to break away!

I'm just so glad that the accessibility department on cruise ships are so willing to help accommodate your needs. We all deserve to have just as fun of a cruise as everyone else.

Happy cruising to all of you.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I posted a similar question on the cruise questions board and got similar responses. I didn't even think about the toilets being an issue (as far as being suspended from the wall). We have chosen the cabin for our cruise, but perhaps I should contact the cruiseline and request an accessible cabin instead.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I posted a similar question on the cruise questions board and got similar responses. I didn't even think about the toilets being an issue (as far as being suspended from the wall). We have chosen the cabin for our cruise, but perhaps I should contact the cruiseline and request an accessible cabin instead.

Certainly call and ask. If one is available, check out where it is, though. They're not always in the most desireable locations, and you might like your cabin location better. While you're on the phone, you can ask about the size, how the toilet is situated and so on, and see if that will be an issue for you, in the cabin you're in.

Have a great cruise!

My DH and I were on the Pride a couple of years ago, balcony. We are both what most would call morbidly obese ( I prefer the word Fat- plain, simple and no mistaking what it is !, it is only a word people. ) We never found any issues with mobility, access to rooms , bathroom etc a problem. In fact, we love the fact I can shower and he can shave at the same time in the same bathroom !! We were sold on that alone ;). Enjoy your trip, and be grateful for the time together and the memories you will make. Heck, he even won the hairy chest contest baring it all !! You either love us or we don't care !

When u get on the ship go to the dining room & request an armless chair. U can also request a table that is more accomodating to get in & out of. Last yr, my husband who uses a power chair & weighs 340 & I were assigned to a table opposite side of room from the doorway. It was a struggle for him to get there so after dinner we requested a different more accessible table. No problem at all. Everyone is very accomodating. But you have to ask. Go & enjoy your cruise. We larger people are NOT in the minority, believe me. I am 250 & enjoy swimming, don't care what I look like in a suit. I try to wear clothes that are becoming & no bikinis!! A skirted swim dress for me.

lolol if i wore a bikini and sneezed, they'd have to call in Search & Rescue to retrieve it!

I wear a swimsuit and shorts to the pool and beach. Even then, i'm gawked at. This cruise, i'm determined to just go and enjoy it to the fullest. I'll be with the man of my dreams who loves me to death. I am thankful for every moment with him. Nothing else and no one else's crappy comments should matter. (they do, unfortunately, but they shouldn't and i'm gonna try hard to block it out this time)

Happy cruising to everyone!

lolol if i wore a bikini and sneezed, they'd have to call in Search & Rescue to retrieve it!

I wear a swimsuit and shorts to the pool and beach. Even then, i'm gawked at. This cruise, i'm determined to just go and enjoy it to the fullest. I'll be with the man of my dreams who loves me to death. I am thankful for every moment with him. Nothing else and no one else's crappy comments should matter. (they do, unfortunately, but they shouldn't and i'm gonna try hard to block it out this time)

Happy cruising to everyone!

lol, bless your heart, love your attitude. I'm the same as you, got a gorgeous hunky man who loves me to death too. I have a t shirt that says "Fat people are hard to kidnap" and another one says "If you keep staring I may do a trick" LOL! And I don't care what anyone else thinks either! :p