Affordable Restaurants in Sydney

Disco Duck

OK, this is a secret tip. Don't tell anybody!

"William Blue Dining" is across the street from the Museum of Contemporary Art (= the Rocks/ = cruise ship terminal ).

It is a training restaurant for a hospitality school. Very decent food. Lovely service. All done by senior students kinder eagle eyed supervision.

A small but clever menu and inexpensive wine list.

Very , very inexpensive. Lovely meals. Open lunch and dinner. Bookings a must. Check them out on TripAdvisor or their website.

Thanks for responding everyone. I received an e-mail from this restaurant and they said they were having a "special" and the breakfast was $110 AUD for two. That is almost $85 in US money which is very expensive here. We usually pay about $30 for a big breakfast of eggs, toast, coffee for two so I was surprised. When I looked up the restaurants this seemed to be the rate and was just wondering if this is what we should expect. We are not picky eaters at all....I do need to eat gluten free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

GUT2407....thank you for your response. We are not picky eaters....I just have to eat gluten free. We are staying near The Rocks and saw that a breakfast for 2 was about $110 AUD....we pay about $30 US for the same breakfast so this made me wonder if this was the going rate for breakfasts. I don't want to eat in any US chain restaurants (I don't eat in them here) like McDonalds.

Thanks for responding everyone. I received an e-mail from this restaurant and they said they were having a "special" and the breakfast was $110 AUD for two. That is almost $85 in US money which is very expensive here. We usually pay about $30 for a big breakfast of eggs, toast, coffee for two so I was surprised. When I looked up the restaurants this seemed to be the rate and was just wondering if this is what we should expect. We are not picky eaters at all....I do need to eat gluten free.

You won't get a big breakfast for two for $30 here (unless it's Maccas or Subway or similar), $30 ea maybe.

Buchhalm....thank you so much for the information on William Blue Dining. I looked it up today and they do offer Gluten Free Meals and this is exactly what we were looking for price wise. I am going to put this information in my calendar and in January I will be sure to book maybe a couple of nights dinner here! We really appreciate this!

Buchhalm....thank you so much for the information on William Blue Dining. I looked it up today and they do offer Gluten Free Meals and this is exactly what we were looking for price wise. I am going to put this information in my calendar and in January I will be sure to book maybe a couple of nights dinner here! We really appreciate this!

I've never eaten at William Blue but have heard good things.

Might try and snag a table at the weekend.

Pancakes on the Rocks will be near where your are staying for a hearty reasonably priced breakfast. I'll also second Harry's for a unique lunch experience. The meat pies are great.

Edited by jmps

Pancakes on the Rocks will be near where your are staying for a hearty reasonably priced breakfast. I'll also second Harry's for a unique lunch experience. The meat pies are great.

Yep, love pancakes at the Rocks.

Thank you. I will look into those also.

Also don't limit yourself to restaurants in the Rocks. If you like Asian food I suggest a short train trip to Chatswood (you'll have to change trains at Wynyard Station). On the upper level of the Chatswood Station there is a new restaurant area called The District which has restaurants spanning a number of cuisines.

Also there are a lot of cheap and cheerful eateries at the southern end of the city, around Chinatown.

Also don't limit yourself to restaurants in the Rocks. If you like Asian food I suggest a short train trip to Chatswood (you'll have to change trains at Wynyard Station). On the upper level of the Chatswood Station there is a new restaurant area called The District which has restaurants spanning a number of cuisines.

Also there are a lot of cheap and cheerful eateries at the southern end of the city, around Chinatown.

Thank you. We do love Chinese and will look into this information.

You'll find some seriously good Asian food here in Sydney - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indian.

Since you like Chinese food you might enjoy Mr Chows Peking Restaurant in Kent St (The Rocks end). It's about a block from the corner of Argyle St. We went there a couple of years ago with friends and had a very nice meal. Can't remember what the prices were like though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You'll find some seriously good Asian food here in Sydney - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indian.

Since you like Chinese food you might enjoy Mr Chows Peking Restaurant in Kent St (The Rocks end). It's about a block from the corner of Argyle St. We went there a couple of years ago with friends and had a very nice meal. Can't remember what the prices were like though.

Thank you. I will look into those. I love Thai food.

I agree breakfast here can be pricey and most places do not have "full" breakfasts as you do in the US. A main course will often be $18 or so and the coffee around $4 so if you want fruit or something else as well, it isn't cheap.

If you get out of the city there are many many great Asian and other ethnic places which are great value. They are usually BYO, ie bring your own alcohol at no or little corkage. In the city the food courts usually have some breakfast places and they open early, as work starts very early here.

Remember too that the price you see is the cost. There is no tax added (by law the price shown has to include tax) Tipping is strictly optional and much less than you would tip in the US.

We found even a couple of years ago when our dollar was higher, we would see a price in the US and need to add 50% to cover the exchange rate, tax and tips.

Title out of the city

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, not meaning to be rude to the other posters but if they are coming to Sydney for one day they do not want to eat at macdonalds or pie face.... they want a unique experience!!! Who doesn't want to try some fresh avocado, farm eggs and Aussie bacon???

So as a Sydney resident who's lived here all my life there are many amazing breakfast spots in Sydney. If you want something close to the overseas passenger terminal where the cruise will be docked then these are my recommendations:

- Pancakes on the rocks: you will get your $30USD traditional full breakfasts here and it's about 2 mins walk literally from the ship. They are open 24 hrs and it's super popular for tourists so there may be a ten minute wait line but that's ok it moves quick. You can also get really good pancakes and crepes here hence the name!

- If you want to explore and eat I recommend walking around past the Opera House, through the Botanical Gardens and to the Andrew Boy Charlton Pool it is a cafe called POOLSIDE over a lap pool which has awesome views and a nice fresh menu. Pretty secret spot even to Sydney residents. Or you can keep walking 5 mins to the Woolloomooloo Bay finger wharf and eat at Crinitis which has soooo much variety. You can get a big breakfast for two for $30USD. It's about a half hour walk to these places but very scenic and you can always get a cab back for $10-15 if you are tired of walking. POOLSIDE open 7.30 and Crinitis opens 8.00am.

For lunch or dinner there's lots around the city and OPT. If you want Aussie pub food and a sweet rooftop view try the Glenmore right near the cruise terminal, the rooftop bar is great. If you want a full city view without paying to go up the tourist trap Sydney tower then try O Bar and Dining on George street but just for a drink as the restaurant is super pricey. It's a revolving bar so you can sit on a cocktail or wine for an hour while it does a full circle. This is also a secret even to Sydney residents.

If you have a specific cuisine you're after let me know and I can advise.

Also a new dining precinct just opened up right next to the cruise in Circular Quay with heaps of dessert options like Messina (Australia's #1 gelato) Adriano Zumbo (for macarons) and high end takeaway options. It's above the Ship Inn so you can google that if you want GPS location.

Ok,

Braliza,

Can you get gammon steaks(not sure what they are called in AUS) but in UK they are normally grilled or fried and served with egg/pinapple.

Thanks.

129033-HERO-5d40d262-b1e5-42c6-bee0-fd3f241e0cbd-0-472x310.jpg

Ok, not meaning to be rude to the other posters but if they are coming to Sydney for one day they do not want to eat at macdonalds or pie face.... they want a unique experience!!! Who doesn't want to try some fresh avocado, farm eggs and Aussie bacon???

So as a Sydney resident who's lived here all my life there are many amazing breakfast spots in Sydney. If you want something close to the overseas passenger terminal where the cruise will be docked then these are my recommendations:

- Pancakes on the rocks: you will get your $30USD traditional full breakfasts here and it's about 2 mins walk literally from the ship. They are open 24 hrs and it's super popular for tourists so there may be a ten minute wait line but that's ok it moves quick. You can also get really good pancakes and crepes here hence the name!

- If you want to explore and eat I recommend walking around past the Opera House, through the Botanical Gardens and to the Andrew Boy Charlton Pool it is a cafe called POOLSIDE over a lap pool which has awesome views and a nice fresh menu. Pretty secret spot even to Sydney residents. Or you can keep walking 5 mins to the Woolloomooloo Bay finger wharf and eat at Crinitis which has soooo much variety. You can get a big breakfast for two for $30USD. It's about a half hour walk to these places but very scenic and you can always get a cab back for $10-15 if you are tired of walking. POOLSIDE open 7.30 and Crinitis opens 8.00am.

For lunch or dinner there's lots around the city and OPT. If you want Aussie pub food and a sweet rooftop view try the Glenmore right near the cruise terminal, the rooftop bar is great. If you want a full city view without paying to go up the tourist trap Sydney tower then try O Bar and Dining on George street but just for a drink as the restaurant is super pricey. It's a revolving bar so you can sit on a cocktail or wine for an hour while it does a full circle. This is also a secret even to Sydney residents.

Also a new dining precinct just opened up right next to the cruise in Circular Quay with heaps of dessert options like Messina (Australia's #1 gelato) Adriano Zumbo (for macarons) and high end takeaway options. It's above the Ship Inn so you can google that if you want GPS location.

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing list for us. I will be in Sydney for over a week and will try to take advantage of everyone of these.

I have to eat gluten free and was wondering if I will have any trouble finding places to eat.

Thank you again. I'm sure we all appreciate this!