Elbe River

acruisinprincess

We are on The Elbe River Cruise from Prague to Berlin near the end of July. Viking has Cruise updates for current sailings that indicate low water levels on the Elbe River may affect these sailings. Viking will offer no explanation of what effect the low river may have since it is not our sailing.

Does anyone know the situation on the Elbe River and how Viking changes for low River conditions on Elbe?

When we were on The Grand Mediterranean Tour Amsterdam to Budapest two years ago, we were on the ship 7 days before they told us the night before to pack our bags for a ship swap. The cruise director was asked repeatedly and said they didn't know yet but that is hard to believe because they knew the conditions already and weather forecasts. Disheartening to be treated like children who didn't need to be aware of Cruise changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Elbe river is on a low stage right now. The Dresden steamers have to skip two landings.

Just an explanation: On the Elbe river there´s no lock and dam system on the German part of the river. So everything depends on how much water is in the river. Currently we do have quite hot temperatures and pretty dry weather here in Germany.

How can it affect your cruise? In case the river is too low the boats can´t go on anymore. It´s depends. Sometimes they can move on a stretch and then you have either to switch ships or being bussed. Sometimes they use the ships as floating hotels and bus you to all other ports. As far as I remember that´s what they mainly did on the Elbe river last year.

steamboats

Official low water on the Elbe

I happened to read yesterday myself that the Elbe is low. Quite a few of the official gauges are marked as low. As steamboats has already mentioned, it is hot right now. In actual fact, it has been mentioned on television as being a meterological official heatwave. The situation is unlikely to change in the next few days. The Viking page says this: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Last year was so bad that there were no sailings for at least two months (over the whole season). A few people here on this board where ok with the bussing but there have been complaints about re-organizing, being informed late, etc. Some Viking cruisers even made it into the main news in Germany, unfortunately, as the situation was extreme (statistically).

I do not want to add insult to injury but I for myself have decided never to use Viking on the Elbe. I will only go with CroisiEurope. I need to tell you though that they also had to cancel some sailings last year, but not as many as Viking.

One company, I cannot remember which, withdrew plans for a new boat on the Elbe as the situation is too unpredictable.

Currently, The Elbe is very much affected. I would say get yourself prepared for all eventualities.

As for your Danube experience, you have been informed late but ships often do wait for almost the last minute as the situation in low water can change within two to three hours. In the end it is down to the captain to decide which river stretch is safe to sail and it depends on the draft of the ship which can vary with load (i.e. passengers and water tanks). Viking has some of the deepest drafts in the river cruise industry. While the Elbe ships have a unique design they still are prone to problems as the Elbe is notoriously "unpredictable". A lock system in the Czech Republic keeps water retained which can sometimes make a crucial difference in centimetres. At the moment they are operating the lock so that steamers are helped with sailing.

According to this German article there are currently no barges sailing, no river cruise ships, only local steamers. The river level in Dresden is at 75 cm. That is very low and perhaps a good thing to remember, should it stay this low you will have an interrupted cruise (rule of thumb). Here it is: https://www.sz-online.de/sachsen/keine-binnenschifffahrt-auf-der-elbe-3704331.html

I shall report back.

notamermaid

I have just remembered that the BFG has a website section in English. Here is the data: http://www.bafg.de/EN/06_Info_Service/01_WaterLevels/waterlevels_node.html

These are statistical dots but you can put the cursor on them and they show you the actual figures. Basically, you do not want the dot in Dresden to be red... Data from this morning says the level is at 70cm.

NB: Please allow for delayed uploads and computer errors on the website, the figures are posted for the general public. They also need to be seen in context with the actual navigation channel.

notamermaid

75 cm is bad but currently it´s down to 69 cm (see here). I´d say the Viking ships got stuck somewhere. I found the Viking Beyla in Bad Schandau. They draw at least 90 cm to 1 m of water. No way they are running with only 69 cm at Dresden.

steamboats

Steamboats, I also must assume they do not sail at least not on a considerable stretch. I seem to remember from last year that the "point of no sail" was around 80cm at Dresden, not sure. At 75cm the navigation channel is 105cm at the shallowest point around Dresden. It would make it unsafe to sail with a draft of 1m. A local article I found from 2015 explained that river cruise ships do not sail at a 75cm level but did not give more details.

There has been talk of deepening the channel. And as per usual the "nature people" oppose it. Not saying it is good or bad, I just think this for-and-against debate will go on for a long while.

notamermaid

In the long run, no, for a few centimetres right now so that ships do not scrape across the ground, perhaps. A lock downstream from Dresden would be an option, but again there are people against it.

notamermaid

A good question, HokiePoq. April and May would seem ok normally but the Elbe has had bad floods in previous years in Spring (2006 and 2013). It varies. June and July had been a good months before but last year and this year the drought came early. I am not sure about the overall statistics (say 20 years) but would say late April into May is worth looking into.

notamermaid

A good question, HokiePoq. April and May would seem ok normally but the Elbe has had bad floods in previous years in Spring (2006 and 2013). It varies. June and July had been a good months before but last year and this year the drought came early. I am not sure about the overall statistics (say 20 years) but would say late April into May is worth looking into.

notamermaid

Thanks so much. We are on the Danube now..low water but as someone mentioned, the locks help here. Very hot..that April sailing is looking better all the time.

notamermaid

What about mid September - that is when we are booked for next year.

Paulchili,

that is very far into the future, I just hope that the Elbe will get more rain in Spring next year (the upper Elbe that is) to last through the summer. September and October weren't good months last year.

notamermaid

Paulchili,

that is very far into the future, I just hope that the Elbe will get more rain in Spring next year (the upper Elbe that is) to last through the summer. September and October weren't good months last year.

notamermaid

Thank you.

I meant mid September historically or statistically, not necessarily this year or next (which is unknown at present).

I see. "Undine", an official website listing among other information historical events of low and high water, mentions the months of August and September the most for low water. That is over a period of 100 years. I have as yet not found a "laymen's website" that lists easy graphs for the last 20 years or so showing exact listings that give a quick overview of statistics.

notamermaid

I see. "Undine", an official website listing among other information historical events of low and high water, mentions the months of August and September the most for low water. That is over a period of 100 years. I have as yet not found a "laymen's website" that lists easy graphs for the last 20 years or so showing exact listings that give a quick overview of statistics.

notamermaid

Thank you.

Let's hope for an exception for next September :)

My husband and I boarded the Astrid Viking and she nor the Beyla ship sailed. We were bused to sights and switched ships part way through. No fun and very exhausting. Water levels are still low and we will be disembarking today. Hope things improve for the next sailing passengers

Rose

Sorry to hear that, roebud. Did you now the situation before boarding or did it only become clear the day you arrived at the ship?

I hope you were able to enjoy the sights.

It does not look too good for the next passengers as after a short rise in level (perhaps due to the lock operations in the Czech Republic) Dresden is at 84cm again and falling. Rain is falling a little in the area but only substantial amounts around the border and upper Elbe will help in the long run. I have no weather info for the Czech Republic. Much of the Elbe (Dessau, Magdeburg and some stretches further downstream, but not the lower Elbe) is still showing low levels.

Have a safe trip home.

notamermaid

StrongCoffee,

my pleasure. And you will have noticed then that the Moselle and Rhine are fine, the Main is showing up a little low in parts. I have checked the Elbe and while doing that I noticed that the figures on that English page are out of date. They are not updated as much as would be desirable. Hmm... if I have time tomorrow I will look into that.

notamermaid

My husband and I boarded the Astrid Viking and she nor the Beyla ship sailed. We were bused to sights and switched ships part way through. No fun and very exhausting. Water levels are still low and we will be disembarking today. Hope things improve for the next sailing passengers

Rose

Viking tells us there haven't been any adjustments to sailings up to this point. Very confusing based on your experience.

We are on the Astrid on July 23rd in Prague boarding ship on Tuesday, July 25, 2017.

When were you advised that the trip was basically bus tours? How long were you on buses for each tour and when did they tell you to pack to change ships? There are days you could have lunch on board the ship, so how did you get lunch if you were on buses?

Only one ship swap?

I am very unhappy to hear Viking not advising clients in advance of the problems.

Currently Viking have the following listed for the Elbe:

ELBE RIVER

Due to low water levels on the Elbe River, we anticipate the following sailings may be affected:

• June 28th Elegant Elbe aboard Viking Astrild
  • June 28th Elegant Elbe aboard Viking Beyla

They don't tend to list problems very far out as to be honest the situation on most rivers can change within a few hours.

But... the Elbe does not tend to be one of those that improves quickly and Viking have always been too slow, in my opinion, to let people know that there is no real prospect of sailing.

I remain surprised each year that they continue to offer the Elbe as without structural changes the odds of getting an uninterrupted cruise due to low water during the hotter months seems poor...

About the bfg webpage: there appears to be a software problem, the institution will try and get it sorted. When you click on an individual dot another page opens and you do get the current level. It is just that when you hover over the dot it shows up wrong meaning the colour of dot could be wrong as well.

notamermaid

Rose

When were you informed that the ships were not sailing? Ship swap? Viking currently says sailings are on schedule which contradicts your experience!

Were the bus rides long? Most ports had half day tour and then you had lunch back on the ship and could go to explore on your if you wanted. How did they handle this?

We don't sail till later - July 25.