Cruising on Weight Watchers

scubaman

My wife has been a WW leader for 10 years and after losing 70 pounds has managed to keep it off. We cruise twice a year and she decided several years ago to eat whatever she wants on cruises. She will lose 5 pounds before the cruise below her maintenance weight. She usually gains 6-8 pounds during a 7 day cruise and maybe 10 on longer cruises. This despite being a vegetarian and exercising twice a day (she loves breads and desserts). When we return home she gets right back in the grove again with journaling and tracking. Within a few weeks the extra weight is gone. She also loves her Activelink, and wears it constantly. She works very hard at getting as many activity points as possible during the cruise. She didn't convince me to join WW, but she did convert me to a vegetarian. I prefer calorie counting and lots of exercise.

Hi everyone!

I did not read all the posts so this may not be new information ......I am a long time leader at Weight Watchers, lost 34 pounds 27 years ago.:p

My hubby and I have done quite a bit of cruising, Mexico, Eastern and Western Carribbean a couple of times. I have never gained weight on a cruise ( don't throw up! ) :rolleyes:

I have a real simple plan. We eat a healthy breakfast from room service on our balcony. High fiber cereal, skim milk, fruit, coffee. I would love to go to the buffet and eat everything in sight but I save up for later, when I really want something special. I eat fruit or something as a snack before lunch. For lunch we usually go to the buffet and I try to be careful. Not perfect, careful. Maybe a sandwich and whatever. AND a cookie! I drink water or diet Coke. Dinner is game on! I eat whatever I want, hence cereal for breakfast....appetizer, soup, entree and dessert. Many times I will eat some of a dish but not finish it. Still stick with 0 calorie beverages. Wine is not my thing, I will have a beer or a martini once a day. My choice, not for everyone.

I also get a ton of exercise! Walking, playing, anything but just sitting drinking foo foo drinks. First cruise lost 5 lbs! Last cruise about broke even, down a bit.

This plan has worked for me every time, I enjoy everything but I make sure what I am eating is worth it....and drink tons of water!

I wish you all the best! Mexico in two weeks on the Carnival Miracle! First time on Carnival, always Princess in the past. Group of 14! Woohoo!

I do not do weight watchers but I do count calories which is very similar. Over the last 2 years I've lost 125 lbs. I've been on 2 cruises since. What I do is light breakfast & lunch and then whatever I want for dinner. I also don't drink alcohol so that's not a problem for me. But yes, egg white & veggie omelette & fruit for breakfast (okay and half a bagel usually), salad & protein for lunch. I also used the stairs & walked a lot in port. First cruise I gained nothing, second cruise I gained 2 lbs. Drink lots of water, the sodium is crazy on the ship. The morning after I came home I actually was up 12 lbs! 12!!! By the end of the week it was only 2 lbs. I don't even know how my clothes fit at the end of the week.

Many people say that it's vacation, take the week off but that's just not for me. Especially now, I'm so close to goal that I lose a pound a month. I'm not gaining 4 lbs on my next cruise just to have to work so hard for 4 months to get off. It's not worth it to me.

I've lost 85lbs on Weight Watchers recently. It works! However...I will NOT be counting points for the 10 days I'm on vacation. I'll just take the stairs and I'll work extra hard when I get back. :p

Edited by Lyncoya

Hi again! Me the WW Leader:p, !

I have thought of a couple more things...set a goal for the cruise. I usually advise people to not gain more than they are willing to lose when they get home. 2,3,4 pounds ok. 15 ....not so much.

Good advice from others, use the Simply Filling technique..mostly healthy but fun too!

ALWAYS take the stairs, if you are able, every time.

Play everything! Have fun!

I started WW in May 2013 & so far I have lost 36 lbs. I should be at my goal in about 8 lbs. Since I started I have been on 2 cruises. I allow a 2 lb weight gain since I enjoy wine, etc in moderation. The first cruise I gained 0.6 lbs & the most recent 2 week cruise 0.8 lbs. I was just aware of what I ate & made better choices. I never felt like I deprived myself. I did get up 12/14 days & ran 3 miles on the ship in order to be able to enjoy myself. The biggest challenge since returning from vacation last week is refocusing on tracking. It has taken me a week to get "back on track". I am looking forward to reaching my goal weight within 2 months then I know I will be able to maintain as long as I have my WW support group.

Good luck to all!

I always make a strong effort to ( and sometimes takes a bit) to get dinner menus for the week on day one. I then take the time to analyze what I really want and what is not that important to me. I adjust my daily and weekly meals as needed. If it is a must for dinner then I adjust other meals for the day. Trust me it works!!!

I have lost 44lbs doing slimming world in the UK, dropped 3 dress sizes and I am only 5lb from goal weieght. I have bought all new clothes for my up and coming cruise and feel amazing when I stand in front of the mirror looking so slim, so I agonize every day what to do on our up and coming cruise. My hubby wants to get the cheers program which will mean a lot of my weight gain will come from alcohol as well as food. I think I am going to be sensible, but not deprive myself of desserts etc and take any gain on the chin but then be really strict when I return home.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I always go on board with a healthy WW attitude; but usually submit to all the temptations. I am going to do better this April on our 8 day cruise on the Breeze. We have a store called "Branch and Vine" in the town that I live in where I purchase a strawberry-balsamic vinegar that I use in place of any salad dressing. My best discovery to date for keeping salads low in points. Now, if only I could find a wine that could save me from really, really overindulging!

I lost 35 pounds with WW and have maintained that loss for 2 1/2 years. Since then I have been on four Carnival cruises two of which were almost two weeks long. What works for me is to use the stairs as much as possible and use the gym. You will also be walking in the ports, pack your pedometer. There is a spa selection evey night in the Main Dining Room. The portions are small and I always order steamed vegetables on the side. I drink wine but stay away from the fruity drinks. You can still indulge in a dessert or two. On my last cruise which was six days, I gained one pound which I quickly lost.

• 4 months later...

Glad to find this thread!

I'm on week 6 of doing Simply Filling (and loving it). I'd love to know some of the best buffet foods you all have found for Simply Filling. For those who don't know "Simply Filling", just think of real foods, with no sauces and no white flour.

Specifically, I'd love to know if Carnival offers whole grain or whole wheat pasta, and whether baked potatoes are available on the buffet lines at lunch. How about any fat-free dairy (skim milk, FF yogurt, etc.?)

Thanks! Great to hear some inspiration from some of you. We set sail on Sunday!

I have not done it yet and I am on a different diet plan than WW, but its a low calorie plan. I have done WW before a few times though. Actually I am techinically on a VLCD now with all shakes, but will be switching to a low calorie in the next month. I have been thinking about what I plan to do when we cruise. I don't plan to be 100% strict on my diet, but I also don't plan to go all out.

My plan has some shakes even on LCD, I think two per day and snacks and one meal. I may just do one shake per day for breakfast. I would probably want bacon and eggs or waffles anyway, so I would rather just do the shake anyway.

Snacks- I will just have cheese or fruit or some veggies from the salad bar. That should be easy.

Lunch, I will probably try to have a salad with some veggies and vinegrette or a drizzle of vinegar and oil dressing. And some grilled chicken, fish or other lean meat.

Dinner- I will probably do what I want within reason. I may have a taste of dessert a couple times, but not the whole thing.

And will limit the frozen drinks.

Basically, I plan to be good for two meals and the third one let loose a little bit, but not too much. Drink lots of water and exercise more. Atleast this is what I hope to do, I will have to talk to the nutritionist about it.

As far as excercise, I hate doing it, but I don't mind walking around the ship. I don't know if you have a good pedometer, but it is helpful. I love my fitbit flex, it is worn as a bracelet.

Good thread! I'm on South Beach since April.... down 22 so far. (and NO it's not low or no carbs...that's Atkins) I do count calories also. I suppose I'm on a mix of WW and SB. I just don't eat most breads, pasta, cakes, chips, etc.... I do eat whole grains. Not sure how available these items will be the on the ship.

I plan on eating a light breakfast and lunch for the most part and eating what I want for dinner. I'm not a serious snacker and would drink maybe 1-2 drinks per day. Not going to be too worried about it as I will get back on track after getting back.

Most of all I'm going to have fun! Exercise is part of that for me these days! 3-5 days per week so I plan on doing that while on my cruise.