Trip insurance

Shammy1

I've always purchased insurance on my own as I find better coverage elsewhere. Check out Insuremytrip dot com for options. If you need to cover your airfare, I would ask the cruise line to make sure.

I agree, other covrage usually is a lot better than what the cruise line offers, and usually cheaper too.

If you are elderly you may find that the cruise line insurance is cheapest (as it is the same price irrespective of one's age); if not then you should be able to find a better policy than the cruise line offers for less money. Insuremytrip.com is a great website for researching policies.

If you opt for cruiseline insurance, make sure you tell the cruise line (or travel agent as appropriate) that you wish to purchase it immediately. Otherwise, even though it might show up on your invoice, it's not technically in force until you make cruise final payment.

Cruise care insurance or buy insurance on your own?? If you don't book your airfare through the cruise line it probably doesn't cover, correct??? i always buy on my own but was just wondering.

RCI's CruiseCare insurance does indeed cover independently booked air. Here's some relevant portions of the plan document:

"The CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program provides coverage for independently booked

air, accident and sickness medical benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much

more. Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company."

"PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air....................................Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air........................Up To 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost"

Getting back to the question of value. #1 as previously noted the CruiseCare cost is not based on the traveler's age so those in the upper age brackets pay what someone in their 30's would pay. #2 By being able to cover your air tickets at no additional cost there can be another savings compared to using a third-party insurer and insuring the cruise+air. The CruiseCare plan has a Cancel For Any Reason benefit at no additional cost (I don't believe the CAR benefit applies to independently booked air).

The "never buy the cruise line's insurance" meme was certainly a valid one years ago as the plans were pretty weak but they've come a long way toward being very competitive for some cruisers. Like any travel insurance policy they're not for everyone but when doing your homework you should at least take a look.

I need to know more about this- I thought you basically had to buy insurance within very short time of when you booked your cruise, (or air?) otherwise it was pointless. Well, I booked last February for the cruise, booked in Sept. or so for the air, and have yet to buy insurance. What if anything do I have as options at this point? I probably won't even be able to buy insurance until mid-late February. Final payment is March 13 or so.

??

I need to know more about this- I thought you basically had to buy insurance within very short time of when you booked your cruise, (or air?) otherwise it was pointless. Well, I booked last February for the cruise, booked in Sept. or so for the air, and have yet to buy insurance. What if anything do I have as options at this point? I probably won't even be able to buy insurance until mid-late February. Final payment is March 13 or so.

??

For most third-party insurers you can actually buy your policy up until the day prior to your departure.

The insurers realize that the closer you get to your departure date the less likely you are to buy a policy. So they throw out several inducements to buy your policy early -- often within 14 to 21 days of making your first payment on the trip. These can include coverages such as:

1) Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions

2) Cancel For Any Reason coverage

3) Financial default coverage

Yes, if you wait those benefits won't be availiable to you but everything else will be.

Thank you! I have looked over different policies several times since I booked the cruise back in February, but honestly, I can't really tell much about which policy would be most appropriate for me to buy, which company to use, etc. I am fairly young, don't have any pre-existing conditions, etc. My kids are all in good health, but my daughter did have jaw surgery this week, which I can't imagine could possibly have any impact on the trip, since it's four months away. Can anybody tell me what I should look for or which company might be a good match? I don't want to spend a bundle but I don't want to lose an even bigger bundle because of some freakish unforeseen event that we never even contemplated the possibility of!

Thank you! I have looked over different policies several times since I booked the cruise back in February, but honestly, I can't really tell much about which policy would be most appropriate for me to buy, which company to use, etc. I am fairly young, don't have any pre-existing conditions, etc. My kids are all in good health, but my daughter did have jaw surgery this week, which I can't imagine could possibly have any impact on the trip, since it's four months away. Can anybody tell me what I should look for or which company might be a good match? I don't want to spend a bundle but I don't want to lose an even bigger bundle because of some freakish unforeseen event that we never even contemplated the possibility of!

I feel like you. The policies are overwhelming and have so much info to read over before purchase. I am looking at insuremytrip dot com and there is a lot to look at!

I feel like you. The policies are overwhelming and have so much info to read over before purchase. I am looking at insuremytrip dot com and there is a lot to look at!

I'd start br calling insurenytrip (or any of the other comparison site) and with just a couple of questions I'm sure they can narrow your best choices down to just two or three. At that point read the fine print for those choices and get answers to any questions you might have then purchase your policy.

There's no need to slog through the fine print of 20+ plans if someone can easily toss out 80% pf them in just a couple of minutes.

Archived