Wife wants to see sloths in panama

ming

Hi, all....

Wife wants to go to Panama and see sloths...I would rather go on a cruise with a side trip to see the sloths.

Does anyone offer a cruise that has a trip or two to the rain forest where my wife can see these creatures and I can be bitten by a Fur-de-lance and be flown home?

It's decision time soon and I need some advice, please.

Land holiday where I get bitten...or cruise where I have fun...????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ming,

Love your attitude...

Check out Celebrity full transit Panama cruises either from Fort Lauderdale or San Diego.

They stop in Colon Panama, and Costa Rica. Both have rain forests and you and your wife can do a tour of rain forest and maybe see some sloths..

Be sure to bring bug spray with 40% Deet and you will be fine. Also a stop at the Martini bar each evening will keep the skeeters away.:D

BTW will be doing the Panama in Dec on the Celebrity Century. I am not doing any rain forest tours, been there done that ...

The two tours that may fill the bill in Panama are the Eco tour on Gatun Lake or the Monkey watch which will also take you onto Gatun Lake... either one I don't know for certain that you would encounter a sloth. If you can find a similar tour in Costa Rica you may have some luck there. Actually the one place I remember seeing a sloth was at one of statues we visited in Cartagena. You could get your picture holding the sloth for a couple of bucks, maybe with any luck someone will have a pet fer-de-lance that can bite you at that location as well.... you know, like one stop shopping;):D! LOL

Good input. Thanks!

Azulann, I'll check out the Celebrity sail for sure, bring the DEET and....I'm a brandy guy, is that a good substitute for gin? But anything to keep the 'skeeters away, yes?

BillB48, The Eco tour at Gatun lake may be what the doc ordered...probably have to pass on the monkey watch as we are inundated with them on Barbados.

Like the idea of the one stop shopping in Cartagena....wouldn't hold one of those strange creatures, but my wife would....And a small nick from a pet fer-de-lance might get me out of the whole deal:D

She's looking at a 15 day land tour of Panama but, besides the sloth trek, they offer a zip line that goes 220' above the jungle! There is no way that this kid is going up 220' let alone above a steamy jungle...:eek:

Thank you both for your great suggestions, you may have saved my bacon!

Ming,

You are welcome.

Hope you post later what you and your wife decided to do?

Have a great vacation either way. BTW, I hope you do indeed do a cruise thru the canal with wonderful side trips in the ports of call.:)

Thanks again Azulann.....

I've been checking out those Celebrity cruises and they look very good!

I'd much rather have someone peel me a grape while I'm relaxing in the sun on the veranda than trecking through snake infested jungles!

As you know, however, cruises demand lots of clothes....on one 14 day cruise my wife took 13 different swimsuits! I don't think she could do that now with the weight limits.

We'll see if I can swing the cruise....maybe a new wardrobe and a color sloth picture may sway her....(who am I kidding! LOL) :D

I'll keep you posted!

Ming,

I see that Princess Cruises has a Sloth Sanctuary, Jungle Cruise & Walking tour. That might fit the bill for Sloth ful watching....lol

Look at it under excursions on the princess web site, panama canal->Costa Rica

Joel

I just put a deposit down on the Celebrity Century 15-dayer in January like Azulann suggested!

It goes to a few other jungle countries, so we should be able to scare up a sloth or two, plus see a little of Panama, too.

I looked at the Princess canal cruises and, as I remember, they seemed to just offer east to west cruises terminating in S. California.

My thought process deemed a cruise from the west coast, terminating at the east coast, may work better for us weather and fatigue wise. But engineers usually over analyze, yes?

Thank you very much for taking the time to alert me of that cruise, beachsands. It is appreciated.:):):)

Ming,

Panama cruise, the best of both worlds for you and your wife.

I will be on the Century cruise from FLL to San Diego , Dec 19 to Jan3.

I promise to leave the ship in fine ship for you.:D And make sure they restock the brandy!

I just bought the David McCoullough book "The Path Between the Seas". It is the 'bible' of how the canal was built. And it weighs as much as a bible, 668 pages.

Celebrity will also have a expert on board to give some lectures and give a play by play while the ship goes through the canal.

Join your roll call for your sailing on the front page of CC. You will meet many other cruisers.

I am researching our day in Colon Panama and looking for a tour that DOES NOT go into the jungle.

Will check in later.... Congratulations, and I know you will have a great time.

Azulann....

I really want to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

This looks like a great cruise and I am really getting exciting about it, as is my wife.

I ordered the book you mentioned and the book from the gentlemen that posts here frequently.

The more I read and understand about the Panama Canal, the more I appreciate the terrible conditions the poor workers endured and, being an engineer, what sound engineering went into the canal prior to the first shovelful of dirt being excavated. Lately when I think I have it hard, the canal workers pop into my mind and I kick myself. What a gigantic but impossible feat...but a legacy that lives on for all of us.

Keep the brandy flowing.....I'm right behind you! ;)

I just put a deposit down on the Celebrity Century 15-dayer in January like Azulann suggested!

It goes to a few other jungle countries, so we should be able to scare up a sloth or two, plus see a little of Panama, too.

I looked at the Princess canal cruises and, as I remember, they seemed to just offer east to west cruises terminating in S. California.

My thought process deemed a cruise from the west coast, terminating at the east coast, may work better for us weather and fatigue wise. But engineers usually over analyze, yes?

Thank you very much for taking the time to alert me of that cruise, beachsands. It is appreciated.:):):)

Hi Ming,

Are you on the 3rd Jan Celebrity Century San Diego to FLL? We are, and there is a roll call for this cruise - come and take a look and register your names for the Meet & Greet with Celebrity - it has a heading post with the roll call posts.

As for the zip-trekking - Peter and I did it in Whistler a few years ago and although I screamed my lungs out, I absolutely loved it, hardest part was remembering to open my eyes and take a look at the fantastic scenery!! (Everyone else was very cool and laid back and enjoyed the ride!) I'd love to do it again but although Peter also enjoyed it, don't know if I can talk him into doing it again!! (He's a bit of a "been there, done that" person! :rolleyes:) Haven't checked out the sloths and tours as yet - will also have to do some research!!

Hope to see you on the roll call.

Good Morning!

We were originally on the 3-JAN out of San Diego but realised we had some conflicts, so we were able to change to the December 4, 2012 cruise out of San Diego.

Is there a roll-call for that?

Ordered a Spanish for dummies book to brush up on the language.....took it in college, but that was back when dirt was new.....

Will probably stay on the ship for the Mexican ports as we've done those many times, but anxious to see the Central America countries.

I'm sorry to have missed meeting you as I have many questions about your wonderful country....We almost immigrated there in 1985.

My best wishes to you for a wonderful cruise! :):):)

Ming, There is a roll call for the Dec 4 Century Sailing. Not many posts yet.

Now you are ahead of my cruise, leaving the ship when I get on in FLL on Dec 19. Make sure it is restocked...:)

I have been reseaching the ports of call. You wife will be so happy. You can have your picture taken in Cartagena with a sloth.:D

Plannng on taking the ship tour,"do it yourself" to Antiqua, Guatemala. Been to Guatemala before and driving that highway can have some delays. Rather not chance it. Will be doing private tours in Colon, Cartagena, and Costa Rica.

Will just walk around PV . Have not been there for 8 years but PV is one of my favooirte palces in Mexico. They have a new malacon and love all the artist galleries and of course fish tacos. Cabo I have never been to, so will check out the beaches there.

Hasta Luego !

Hey, Azulann! Good to see you again!

Hot potatoes on the Cartagena sloth! :rolleyes: :D

Antigua Guatemala also looks good to us...Private tours also in the other spots...

Love PV, too...great little bar there using 200 proof tequela that makes one's eyelids go numb...gatta love that, yes?

In cabo, there is a little beach called "lover's beach" that you can take a glass bottom boat out to...no other access.....great, small beach but watch the wave action if you go out too far in the water as it will throw you up against the coral and rip you up....saw that happen twice. Otherwise they'll heard you to a hotel and you can beach it...water not like the Caribbean! Lower your standards there, my friend. ;)

Enjoy and be good to yourself!:):):)

Hi Ming,

You and Azulann both seem to be very experienced travellers in these places so I'll have to keep an eye on your recommendations! (Particularly those great little bars we're always on the look out for!!)

When you guys talk about "private tours" have you already arranged these or do you mean you'll just get something when you get there?

Although you probably don't need it, here's a link to an interesting review of a similar itinerary a fellow did on the Celebrity Infinity a while ago - people are still discussing it as it's well documented and has plenty of photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1319973

As for speaking/learning Spanish - the only words I know are from watching "Dora" with my Granddaughter, she's 4 and knows more than I do - Ola!! :confused:

Well even tho you won't be on our cruise - hope you enjoy yours - I'm sure we'll all have great times cruising! :cool:

Sue,

I promise the Century will be in one piece when you get on Jan3. :)

I am in the middle of my research: reading a book about the construction of the canal, learning about Henry Morgan the pirate, and more on Spanish colonialism in Colombia.

By final payment I will have booked any ship tours, private tours and which port I will just explore on my own. I have booked a private tour for Colon and people on the roll call who are finding private tours in Costa Rica and Cartagena which I will join.

I have been to Mexico at least 15 times. I love everything about Mexican culture. Been to Costa Rica, lots of Americans and Canadians are there during the winter months.

Guatemala is a fascinating country. It has many descendents of the Mayan Indians.Over seventy languages are spoken by the indigenous peoples. Looking forward to exploring Antiqua the old colonial capital. The best coffee comes from Central America. Plan on picking up fresh roasted coffee beans to bring back, for myself and Christmas presents for my family.

Your upcomig cruises look awesome!! Panama, South America...

Love folks from down under... I have met many aussies in Europe and on cruises. You do know how to party. ;)

I have checked out your roll call along the way, come see what our roll call will have set up in the coming months.

We will all have to do a trip review on CC after our cruises. thanks for the link about the Infinity

Hasta Luego(see you later) :)

Hi, Sue!

Thanks for the link! I need all of the help that I can get!

I think that Azulann is much more of a world traveler than I. And he best keep the ship ship-shape for me! LOL ;):)

I've seen all of the Caribbean islands, except Cuba and Montserrat many times and most of Pacific and Caribbean Mexico, a few countries in South America, but not Central America, Europe, China or Africa (except the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean).

My goal is to see all of Central America; then St. Petersburg, Russia and the Terracotta Warriors east of Xa”an, China.

Also on my short list is the Glowworm Caves in Waitomo, NZ, and, All of Australia!:)

You've got some great cruises upcomming and I know they'll be wonderful.

If I can ever remember the names of those great bars in Mexico (eyelids numb, brain dead), I'll pass them on.

My Best!:):):)

Sorry for the confusion.

My dad is barbados and I sign ming.

I look after his house in Barbados during the summer months and he is there in the north american winters. I signed in with his ID rather than mine. Sorry.

Sometimes we forget and use the other's nom de plume. Sorry, really the same person! :)

Hi All,

Ming/Barbados - nice lifestyle! We visited Barbados and a few other Caribbean ports in 2007 while on a cruise with Australian Sports Tours (on the Celebrity Galaxy) for the World Cup Cricket - had a fabulous time, visiting many of those little bars and sampling the local beer and rum products, in between and during Cricket matches! Apart from the cricket we spent a day on the beach at the Blue Monkey, and toured the island too which was enjoyable. We'll be visiting Barbados again on our South American cruise so if you have any favourite spots, we look forward to your recommendations here too - Peter likes to collect different rums from all over the world - his mission in life I think!! (Captain Morgan a good ol' favourite - named after Henry that Azulann mentions, I presume?)

We did an "Indian Ocean Odyssey" cruise on The Sun Princess last year - 46 days and included the Seychelles (on a private tour we had the Seychelles' only Olympian, a Javelin thrower, and her husband as our guides so will have to look out for her in the upcoming London Games, will have to look up my notes for her name tho!), we loved the Seychelles and it was a great opportunity to visit a lot of places we would probably never have gone to otherwise.

Azulann (Patti) - have had a bit of a read of your roll call board to get a few tips for our trip. You say your favourite place is Puerto Vallarta, is this a place where we can fill our day wanding the town or is it best to take a tour here?

Do you have any idea if the ship is likely to provide shuttle buses in most ports? We mostly prefer to do our own thing, taking a private taxi over joining bus loads on tour but of course sometimes it's the only alternative!

Yes, us Aussies do like our social lives (that's all I seem to be talking about!! :eek:) - we're seriously considering the booze packages Celebrity offer! I'm sure they'll restock for us (they wouldn't want to run out!!)

Well, on with the researching for the ports of the Panama etc ...

Hi, again, sussanahrose,

Sounds like great trips that you’ve had! Lucky you!

Nice to hear someone also liked the Seychelles (how could one not like them?) I'd like to hit the Maldives sometime and see how they compare.

Glad that you liked the island and are ‘coming home’ (what we say when you return a second time).

I’ll give you a couple of high spots to file away if you’re in the area and have the time.

For a great lunch or dinner try The Lone Star Garage a little north of Holetown. We spend a lot of time there and it isn’t uncommon to see Cliff Richard sitting with Tony Blair on the back patio. Cliff has a beautiful estate on the island and motorboats up to these west coast restaurants and eats outback so as not to be bugged for signatures. Say hey to Christian, the owner, and try the fresh blackened dolphin.

Lunch or the spa at Sandy Lane is always a treat or play 18 on their Green Monkey golf course is a wonderful day, indeed.

Go down to the Crane Resort in St. Phillip (SE coast) and have lunch at the Zen or La’azure restaurant or have a drink overlooking the beautiful pink sand beach (voted one of the 10 best in the world by Conde Nast Traveler.

If you’re there on a Friday night, don’t miss the Fish Fry and lime (party) down in Oistins. (South coast gap). A hoot with fish just off of the boat. Yum.

Have lunch at the Atlantis Hotel in Bathsheba (east coast). Very, very nice.

Swim with the Hawksbill turtles off of Carlisle Bay.

Hit the Hercules Bar down in Oistins open 24/7. Locals/lively/fun, fun, fun!

And last, hit John Moore’s Bar up in Weston, St. James. It’s the most authentic and unpretentious rum shop on the island. (Don’t expect plush! J).

When you’re at any of the rum shops on the island, try the Mt. Gay Extra Old Rum. It wins plaudits in every competition and it is the only rum we allow in the house ;). Also, Banks is the beer brewed on the island, but if you have the chance, try a Caribe, another favorite of mine.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise! :):):)

Sue , You can certainly see Puerto Vallarta on your own.

Outside of the marina where the ship will dock, you can take a cab or a bus to the center of town, walk the Malacon, the zocolo, the central park with the cathedral at one end and the malacon at the other. Walk south towards the old part and Los Mortos beach area. On the way you will find nice art gallerys, shops, outdoor cafes and beach clubs along the Los Mortos beach in front of the restaurants , condo and older hotels. You could get a lounge chair under a palapa with food and drink and soak up the sun. Have a nice lunch and beer at any of the local cafes. do a little shopping and people watching. There a lots of Canadians and American who winter in PV.

If you want to do a tour, I suggest doing a whale watching boat tour on the bay of Banderas. You leave from the same marina where the ship docks. It is a great town and I cannot wait to return.

Ming, Thanks for the Barbados info - would be lovely to be staying longer so we could visit all the places you've listed - maybe next time!!

Our good friend (who cruised with us in 2007) loves the Mt Gay Rum (not sure if it's the Extra Old), one of his favourites!

I think John Moore's is standing out as a place to aim for and see bit along the way.

Happy cruising! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grego,

Your web site of your photography is beautiful. Loved your picutres of the Greek Isles. You have a eye for capturing the small details that evoke the feel of the islands. I loved our cruise there last year.

Sorry this is off topic for panama froum.

Archived