New York hotel suggestions for 4 or 5 nights post-cruise?

barnaby2you

Hello, we will disembark in NYC on Sept 13/18 and hope to spend four or five nights there at a moderately priced but well located hotel. Sticker shock is occurring, plus I don't know where to begin! Any suggestions for a comfortable hotel in a convenient area for sightseeing, that will not break our retirement bank??? Many, many thanks for any and all suggestions. We've never been to NYC and would like a comfortable base for visiting art museums, going to a show or two, and just generally seeing as many of the sights as we can without wasting a lot of time on transit. With 11 months lead time, I'm hoping we might find somewhere good at a reasonable price, with your help!

Hello, we will disembark in NYC on Sept 13/18 and hope to spend four or five nights there at a moderately priced but well located hotel. Sticker shock is occurring, plus I don't know where to begin! Any suggestions for a comfortable hotel in a convenient area for sightseeing, that will not break our retirement bank??? Many, many thanks for any and all suggestions. We've never been to NYC and would like a comfortable base for visiting art museums, going to a show or two, and just generally seeing as many of the sights as we can without wasting a lot of time on transit. With 11 months lead time, I'm hoping we might find somewhere good at a reasonable price, with your help!

What is your hotel budget? Are you seniors? Are you 2 people? Unfortunately you will be in NY at the peak season because of Fashion Week and the UN opening.

September is an expensive time.

The hotel experts on the Trip Advisor NY City forum are incredibly helpful, but they will want to know beds needed, departure airport, and nightly budget in US dollars, keeping in mind that taxes add 15%.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

What is your hotel budget? Are you seniors? Are you 2 people? Unfortunately you will be in NY at the peak season because of Fashion Week and the UN opening.

I guess we're hoping to find somewhere under 200 US per night, but that may be too optimistic. We are seniors but well able to do lots of walking. Hadn't realized it will be peak season, alas. This becomes even more of a challenge!

Prices in NCY tend to be high that time of the year.

I know you will get input here but I also find Trip Advisor to have a wealth of information.

You can search on it based on various factors including location and price.

Keith

Thank you Keith, we'll certainly be watching TA too.

I guess we're hoping to find somewhere under 200 US per night, but that may be too optimistic. We are seniors but well able to do lots of walking. Hadn't realized it will be peak season, alas. This becomes even more of a challenge!

I should add it will be a 5 night stay and we'd like one bed, king if possible. Arriving by ship Sept 13 and departing from La Guardia on Tues Sept 18. Does any of that help?

UN General Assembly opens the day you're leaving. That probably means advance parties in town that weekend, which will make Midtown East a bit of a zoo.The US Open appears to be wrapping on the 9th, which is good, and Fashion Week is due to finish on the 14th. All of which is just to highlight the complexity of September in Manhattan...

I tend to be a Marriott guy, so the best I see today is a the Courtyard Midtown West, 37th and 8th Avenue; it's $223/night at the AAA rate for 4 nights, but jumps to $388 plus tax on the Monday. But it is cancellable. So that's an example.

"Most" hotels in Manhattan are going to be convenient to the subway. Downtown/Financial District hotels "tend" to be better deals on the weekends. Midtown is closer to more attractions (other than the Statue of Liberty/9-11 Memorial, etc., that are near Battery Park). You can sometimes get a good deal in Midtown closer to your stay.

Your requirements are actually fairly simple. I'd probably hit either your preferred hotel chain(s) or one of the major hotel sites and shop for something you can cancel, and keep checking. $200 in September is not likely to be a hotel you want to stay in...

And when you find something, ask. Someone here has stayed there or walked by it, in all likelihood!

Did you book a placeholder reservation at the Courtyard? It's cancellable so you have nothing to lose until Sep 10, 2018. When is your flight home and from which airport? In the case of the Marriott, you could save some money by moving to an airport hotel for the last night. Sep 13-17 is $1037 whereas Sep 13-18 is $1416.

Hotel rates are likely to go up for your dates. You could get lucky, but the reality is that your expectations to get a decent hotel in midtown during this time period for $200 is unrealistic. Something has to give like location or king bed. Did you consider the Wall St area? All the subway lines are close downtown and will take you wherever you want to go.

Here's another idea... heck the Courtyard Marriott Upper East Side. It is well located for access to the new 2nd, Ave subway, which gets you to Times Square in 10 minutes..just a thought..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked the crowne plaza time square for $250 per night. Walking distance to tons plus subway right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you book a placeholder reservation at the Courtyard? It's cancellable so you have nothing to lose until Sep 10, 2018. When is your flight home and from which airport? In the case of the Marriott, you could save some money by moving to an airport hotel for the last night. Sep 13-17 is $1037 whereas Sep 13-18 is $1416.

Hotel rates are likely to go up for your dates. You could get lucky, but the reality is that your expectations to get a decent hotel in midtown during this time period for $200 is unrealistic. Something has to give like location or king bed. Did you consider the Wall St area? All the subway lines are close downtown and will take you wherever you want to go.

That's an excellent idea about booking an airport hotel for the 5th night. We'll be flying from La Guardia early in the morning, so that would make sense and save costs. I do see that the Monday night is way more expensive than over the weekend. Thank you!

Looking at La Quinta Manhattan on 32nd St. Any comments from anyone? Thank you all!

Local New Yorkers have posted that they have used this hotel when they stay in Manhattan and recommend it. I got a killer senior deal on a Sat night in January, so I'm going to try it then. I had a chance to walk by it in July when we were in Manhattan and was very pleased with the location. It's very close to the Herald Square subway station with an entrance at 32nd & 6th for the N, Q, R, W, B, D, F, and M trains. It's one stop on the N, Q, R, W uptown train to Times Square to connect to 1, 2, 3 trains or the Grand Central S train to connect to the east side 4, 5, 6 trains. Macys is at 34th & 6th and has a food court. There is a Panera and CVS on 5th Ave between 32nd & 33rd.

Can't tell you about the free breakfast. It's likely to be basic, but I know I'll be fine with whatever they offer.

We have fully cancelable bookings made at three hotels:

1. Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan

2. Courtyard by Marriott at Times Square West

3. La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan

Any votes for or against any of these? Any comments? It will be hard to decide which one to keep, but at least we have backup now in case prices rise further. Thanks everyone!

We have fully cancelable bookings made at three hotels:

1. Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan

2. Courtyard by Marriott at Times Square West

3. La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan

Any votes for or against any of these? Any comments? It will be hard to decide which one to keep, but at least we have backup now in case prices rise further. Thanks everyone!

Great! You have a plan for one of the most expensive NYC hotel weeks of the year. I will be staying at the La Quinta in late January and will post a review when I get back in Feb. IMO the La Quinta is more centrally located and has better subway and bus access.

Hello everyone. Now that we have hotel bookings, another question. We fly out from La Guardia Tues Sept 18 at 7.30 am. Would it be advisable to stay near airport the night before and depend on shuttle/taxi, or is it reasonably easy to get to LAG early in the morning from a Manhattan hotel? Any advice on this, and/or on inexpensive hotels near LAG, would be deeply useful to us! Thank you all!!

... fly out from La Guardia Tues Sept 18 at 7.30 am. Would it be advisable to stay near airport the night before and depend on shuttle/taxi, or is it reasonably easy to get to LAG early in the morning from a Manhattan hotel? Any advice on this, and/or on inexpensive hotels near LAG ...

You meant LGA as in LaGuardia Airport in Queens ...

I don't know if you would find any decent hotels near LGA to be better/cheaper vs. what you have in Manhattan - and at 5:30 or 6 AM, their hotel might be or might NOT yet be up & running yet, at 30 minutes interval, maybe less - some have only 2 or 3 vehicles in the fleet and it's easily 20+ minutes for them to loop around the airport before coming back.

For a 7:30 departure, you probably wanted to be curbside at the airport by 6 AM, as even Pre-Check, if any, might be open. LGA's current phrase of development/reconstruction - should begin to payoff with better services for flyers by then, Delta investing as partners in their Terminal C and T-D. T-B or Central Terminal is supposed to be\gin to shine then. For the pre-dawn, early morning hours - you can book a car service (Carmel or Dial7) for a quick, flat-rate ride to LGA instead of counting on flagging a cruising taxi outside the hotel for a 30 to 45 minutes ride out to LGA, weather permitting, traffic will still be light enough at 5:30 AM.

If also depends on your Monday evenings, as there is absolutely NOTHING to see or do near LGA - chain hotels like the HI Express are further away and I don't believe they start their AM shuttle until 6 AM - thus, you will need to pay for another car service ride over to LGA, their are no cruising yellow taxi to be found at 5:30 AM, the "green" color taxi found are typically local car service approved to run their metered fare when hailed or flat rate with radio dispatched by calling.

Personally biased, I am not a fan of so-called car riding services like Uber or Lyft b/c of their business practices - if you choose to consider them, odds are that you can find one within 10 minutes both in Manhattan and in popular areas near LGA's offsite hotels.

September, historically speaking, is high season for booking and rates for hotels in NYC, right around the annual United Nations General Assembly, followed by Fashion Week that stretch into mid/late October for all those popular Fall foilage, New England/Canada cruises - cruise terminals in all 3 NY-NJ piers are quite busy & full ... car services are smiling as they are busy doing these runs.

Book a hotel that you are comfortable with now to lock it in - continue to shop around for better deals & locations, etc. Last minute cancellations & rate drops are possible ... consider using all those popular hotel booking engine/services like Hotwire and/or TripAdvisor.

You meant LGA as in LaGuardia Airport in Queens ...

I don't know if you would find any decent hotels near LGA to be better/cheaper vs. what you have in Manhattan - and at 5:30 or 6 AM, their hotel might be or might NOT yet be up & running yet, at 30 minutes interval, maybe less - some have only 2 or 3 vehicles in the fleet and it's easily 20+ minutes for them to loop around the airport before coming back.

For a 7:30 departure, you probably wanted to be curbside at the airport by 6 AM, as even Pre-Check, if any, might be open. LGA's current phrase of development/reconstruction - should begin to payoff with better services for flyers by then, Delta investing as partners in their Terminal C and T-D. T-B or Central Terminal is supposed to be\gin to shine then. For the pre-dawn, early morning hours - you can book a car service (Carmel or Dial7) for a quick, flat-rate ride to LGA instead of counting on flagging a cruising taxi outside the hotel for a 30 to 45 minutes ride out to LGA, weather permitting, traffic will still be light enough at 5:30 AM.

If also depends on your Monday evenings, as there is absolutely NOTHING to see or do near LGA - chain hotels like the HI Express are further away and I don't believe they start their AM shuttle until 6 AM - thus, you will need to pay for another car service ride over to LGA, their are no cruising yellow taxi to be found at 5:30 AM, the "green" color taxi found are typically local car service approved to run their metered fare when hailed or flat rate with radio dispatched by calling.

Personally biased, I am not a fan of so-called car riding services like Uber or Lyft b/c of their business practices - if you choose to consider them, odds are that you can find one within 10 minutes both in Manhattan and in popular areas near LGA's offsite hotels.

September, historically speaking, is high season for booking and rates for hotels in NYC, right around the annual United Nations General Assembly, followed by Fashion Week that stretch into mid/late October for all those popular Fall foilage, New England/Canada cruises - cruise terminals in all 3 NY-NJ piers are quite busy & full ... car services are smiling as they are busy doing these runs.

Book a hotel that you are comfortable with now to lock it in - continue to shop around for better deals & locations, etc. Last minute cancellations & rate drops are possible ... consider using all those popular hotel booking engine/services like Hotwire and/or TripAdvisor.

Thanks so much for your reply. So, on balance, do you mean we might be better to stay in our (Manhattan) hotel the night before flying and book a car service or taxi from there to La Guardia very early the next morning? We are flying to Canada at 7.30 a.m., so assume must be there 2 hours ahead, i.e. 5.30 am. Easier to achieve from Manhattan with a pre-booked car service, or from a hotel near La Guardia with 24 hour shuttle service? Sorry, could you please clarify? Many thanks!

Thanks so much for your reply. So, on balance, do you mean we might be better to stay in our (Manhattan) hotel the night before flying and book a car service or taxi from there to La Guardia very early the next morning? We are flying to Canada at 7.30 a.m., so assume must be there 2 hours ahead, i.e. 5.30 am. Easier to achieve from Manhattan with a pre-booked car service, or from a hotel near La Guardia with 24 hour shuttle service? Sorry, could you please clarify? Many thanks!

At 4:30 in the morning, you should have a smooth ride to LGA with a pre-booked car service. If the Manhattan hotel is in budget, just stick with it and enjoy the evening (or some of it) in Manhattan.

If the hotel rate is jumping a lot, and you can get a much better rate near the airport, it’s a bit more complicated, but you’re committing to “end of vacation”when you get in the car for the airport hotel.

Do be sure there’s a 24 hour shuttle and the early morning schedule before committing.

Thank you, that is clear and sensible. If we did stay on in Manhattan is there a pre-bookable car service that you could recommend? With such an early start we wouldn't have much wiggle room if they came late!

The two that are most commonly recommended are Dial7 and Carmellimo. Both can be reserved online, and you may find an online coupon for one or both of them if you Google.