Hong Kong pre-cruise hotel

Xoe

The CP website talks a lot about Asian food, but not much at all about western options. That I believe is the question. I know I sure can't tell if there would be more than one western selection.

I can understand concerns about desirable meal options on a long flight. About 6 mo ago we flew BA Business class to London. The meals we were served would have needed considerable improvement to be considered palatable. Our DEN-LHR flight was quite a bit shorter than New York to HKG.

FlyTalker has a thread on Cathay's flight menu; post #47 has info on JFK-HKG as of April 2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1536513-cx-j-menus-2014-a-4.html

If you google "cathay pacific menu 2014", it should give you a collection of menu photos to look at.

How it tastes? Well, like two people in the MDR, on the same cruise, eating the same menu and giving opposing reviews here on CC....:rolleyes:

Still off the original hotel topic:o....I can understand the question about the airline food. DH and I recently flew longhaul on Turkish Airlines which has rave reviews for its food. We thought it the worst food of any airline purely because we dont care for Turkish food and there were few, if any Western choices.

Yes, post #47 does give an example of the types of choices CP offers. I must say the pickings are mighty slim - even if you like Asian foods, which we do. If we were flying CP, I'd be packing something myself.

I sure hope the Salisbury offers a better variety at their restaurants. Can anyone speak the variety available there?

Yes, post #47 does give an example of the types of choices CP offers. I must say the pickings are mighty slim - even if you like Asian foods, which we do. If we were flying CP, I'd be packing something myself.
Looking at all of the North America --> Hong Kong menus posted in that thread, I find it hard to see how they could be described as "mighty slim" pickings. Here are the main course choices culled from all of the main meals (bearing in mind that some of these flights are three-meal flights):

Brunch

• Tomato and mozzarella omelette, potato wedges, pork sausage and sautéed spinach
  • Stir-fried egg noodles with beef and choy sum
  • Abalone clam congee, served with steamed prawn rice roll with imperial soy sauce

Dinner

• Stir-fried pork with tomato sauce, steamed Jasmine rice, pak choy and carrots
  • Pan Seared USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin with red wine demi, sweet potato mash, sautéed spinach, and shiitake mushroom
  • Scallop with Perignon sauce, Granny Smith celeriac mash and green asparagus
  • Pumpkin ravioli with Parmesan cream sauce, sautéed pumpkin, and sage

Lunch

• Braised abalone with chicken, steamed jasmine rice, baby pak choy and carrot
  • Grilled USDA choice beef tenderloin with demi glace, fava bean puree and roasted butternut squash
  • Pan-seared halibut with creamy pesto sauce, wild rice with cranberry, baby carrot and green beans
  • Lemon pepper linguine with fried roasted red pepper sauce and zucchini

Dinner

• Seared prawns with lobster sauce, celeriac mash, green beans and cherry tomato
  • Stir-fried beef with black pepper sauce, steamed jasmine rice, kailan and carrot flower
  • Wild mushroom ricotta cheese cannelloni with pecorino cheese sauce

Supper

• Grilled Canadian beef tenderloin wiht Bearnaise sauce, roasted fingerling potatoes, baby carrots and asparagus
  • Pork with plum sauce, egg white with dried scallop fried rice and pak choy

Breakfast

• Ham and cheese frittata, parsley potatoes, sauteed spinach and grilled Roma tomato
  • Mini chicken glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf with Chinese dim sum
  • Sliced beef with ginger congee, served with stir-fried egg noodles with imperial soy sauce

Supper

• Stir-fried prawns with chili sauce, steamed jasmine rice, pok choy and carrots
  • USDA prime beef tenderloin with port wine sauce, buttered gnocchi, green beans and carrots

Breakfast

• Tomato and mozzarella omellete, potato wedges, pork sausage and sauteed spinach
  • Stir-fried egg noddles with beef and choy sum
  • Abalone clam congee, served with steamed prawn rice roll with imperial soy sauce

Supper

• Cod with sweet wine sauce, steamed Jasmine rice, and stir-fried pak choy with carrots
  • Grilled USDA choice beef tenderloin with red wine sauce, yukon mashed potatoes, asparagus, and baby carrots

Breakfast

• Shiitake Mushroom Omelette with grilled back bacon, roasted Yukon potatoes, and vine-ripened tomato
  • Stir fried e-fu noodles with Dim Sum and chili sauce
  • Seafood Congee, served with spring onion pancake

Lunch

• Onion soy chicken roll, steamed jasmine rice, kailan and carrots
  • Seared USDA choice beef tenderloin with miso mustard sauce, fondant potatoes, heirloom carrots and asparagus
  • Pulled pork enchiladas with toatillo sauce, refried pinto beans and tomato rice with peas
  • Ricotta cheese gnocchi with pea coulis and roots vegetables

Dinner

• Seared link cod with fennel tumeric sauce, sweet potato mash, baby vegetables and cippolini onions
  • Stir-fried beef with mixed peppers, egg fried rice, choy sum, mushroom and carrots
  • Penne pasta with creamy tomato sauce, roasted artichoke, spinach and Parmesan cheese

I sure hope the Salisbury offers a better variety at their restaurants. Can anyone speak the variety available there?
You're staying in one of the eating capitals of the world. Why would you confine yourself to the hotel restaurant, let alone the hotel restaurant of a middling tourist-grade hotel? The fact that it's situated in an unbeatable location doesn't change the kind of hotel that it is, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

You're staying in one of the eating capitals of the world. Why would you confine yourself to the hotel restaurant, let alone the hotel restaurant of a middling tourist-grade hotel? The fact that it's situated in an unbeatable location doesn't change the kind of hotel that it is, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything here that answers my question about the variety of foods available at the Salisbury. That, and that alone, is my question. I don't need to justify why I would like to know. I SURE didn't give any indication that we would "confine" ourselves to the hotel restaurant(s). :rolleyes:

And yes, I stand by my statement that the food options offered by Cathay Pacific are mighty slim compared to Business on other airlines (BA being a notable exception). If I look at a menu and think "what can I 'make do' with here?" that is slim pickings.

The CP website talks a lot about Asian food, but not much at all about western options. That I believe is the question. I know I sure can't tell if there would be more than one western selection.

Thank you for acknowledging the question!

Looking at all of the North America --> Hong Kong menus posted in that thread, I find it hard to see how they could be described as "mighty slim" pickings. Here are the main course choices culled from all of the main meals (bearing in mind that some of these flights are three-meal flights):

Exactly the kind of information I was asking for! Thank you.

Based on what is in the list, I think I will just plan on taking the American Airlines non-stop out of Dallas.

Decision made.

Based on what is in the list, I think I will just plan on taking the American Airlines non-stop out of Dallas.

Decision made.

Even though I am a very, very loyal AA flyer, if given the choice I sure wouldn't take the AA flight over the CX flight.

CX had a lot of "goodies" stashed for business/first snacks. So you won't go hungry. AA has a FEW goodies stashed. NO COMPARISON

And the fish dishes on CX are very good. I am usually a beef eater but have had both halibut and sea bass that rival mid priced restaurants. And I don't like spicy, so stay away from a lot of Asian food. But never found anything too spicy on CX other than the food that states it is cooked in chili sauce.

And yes, I stand by my statement that the food options offered by Cathay Pacific are mighty slim compared to Business on other airlines (BA being a notable exception). If I look at a menu and think "what can I 'make do' with here?" that is slim pickings.

I sure don't understand this statement. Most of the foreign airlines offer at least 3 if not 4 choices of entres on long haul flights. You may get two, sometimes 3 with a US airline (and the better one is gone a lot of times-FEBO doesn't always work).

If you can't "make do" with prime rib, choice sirloin or a fresh fish dish, guess you need a private jet.

I sure don't understand this statement. Most of the foreign airlines offer at least 3 if not 4 choices of entres on long haul flights. You may get two, sometimes 3 with a US airline (and the better one is gone a lot of times-FEBO doesn't always work).

If you can't "make do" with prime rib, choice sirloin or a fresh fish dish, guess you need a private jet.

I don't have a problem with prime rib, sirloin or (non-fried) fish. The protein isn't the issue, usually it's the side dishes and sauces over the protein. Having one option isn't really an 'option'. That is slim pickings.

I've shown the Cathay Pacific menus posted above to DH. He is NOT a picky eater. Even he was disappointed in the lack of options and would have a difficult time.

The Salisbury is an inexpensive hotel with a marvellous location. The dining room serves buffet style. There is also a cafeteria.

Came here with business colleagues for the dinner buffet. I was shocked in a good way- very good way- to see all that we got for 140+ 10% tax at this buffet.

Fresh seafood- prawns, crab legs, etc.

Sushi- at least six different types

sashimi and california rolls

two kinds of salads - caesar and regular salad bar

main dishes including korean, thai and japanese inspired dishes

our types of cheese and crackers

two types of soup, selection of dinner rolls and various appetizers

dessert choices including mini haagen daas ice cream, cakes, pastries and fresh fruit

There were other types of food which I am not mentioning because honestly there was so much to choose from.

The food was fresh, service excellent and our group was seated in the back of the restaurant at a long table with a view of the Hong Kong skyline. For a YMCA I was VERY IMPRESSED.

I would return again, especially when you consider that I paid 100 HKD the very same day for a lunch bowl of Korean rice and kimchee just three blocks north in an upscale mall. What a bad deal compared to this wonderful buffet. I think you can't go wrong with the YMCA Salisbury Dining Room dinner buffet.

There are very good, more expensive restaurants nearby a t the Marco Polo, the Langham, and the Peninsula.

Wow, didn't poke my head back in this thread for a few days & looks like CX been "food" hijacked - fine, whatever. Food is subjective & suffice to say, catered food at 33,000 ft. cruising attitudes will NEVER, I repeat - NEVER, taste anything like on the ground in Hong Kong or New York or _ _ _ _ _ _ (name your own favorite city / port and even cruiseline) depending on your wallet and budget, status & OBC/comp's, etc.

Let's try to not to stray too far off topic and please come over to FlyerTalk to research & debate about AA vs. CX, the hard & the soft products. Having been a lifelong AA & UA member in the 70's even before the FF program was launched, given the choice & on TPAC runs, we would NOT fly a US legacy carrier - not unless they bring back Pan Am with 34" economy seat pitch & upper deck seating. With CX, you have the option to pre-order over 10 special menu including several vegetarian variants, no beef, low sodium & other entrees - even for economy pax. Plus, you are among the first to be served. Now try that on UA/AA/DL that fly to Asia (and, of course - we all know what they serve on domestic routes :D in a cold box with plastic for $10 these days).

Seasoned - business & leisure - travelers choose & fly CX for many reasons and of course, one is free to decide. AA just started DFW non-stop to HKG with 777 services - link to photo review just posted on Flyertalk - http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Carfield76/library/AA137DFWHKGInaugural06112014J?sort=2&page=8

Interesting but "yawn" - just remember to pack your own slippers flying J. I still missed our Shanghai Tang PJ's but the new CX amenity kits are equally nice.

Lastly, the fastest & best nonstop route flying to/from HKG is the polar route, that is over the north pole - and that's the reason for carriers to use YVR, ORD and historically, JFK as the gateway city to the "Pearl of the Orient." Unless doing MR to earn mileage, there is no good reason to fly south for 1,000 miles to make a connection that will then fly northwest, over Canada/Alaska & across/down via mainland China onward to Hong Kong - resulting in easily an extra 4 to 5 hours, excluding time on the ground, transfer & upon return to the US, clearing CBP & connecting to yet another 4+ hours flight. Majority of northeast US traveler use JFK and/or ORD with some choosing ATL where Delta has a non-stop to HKG. But, seriously, a sandwich wrap or steamed pork buns with noodles for "J" class catering - no thanks, I will stick with CX even if it's an "Eastern" Omelette. The main objective is to spend the least amount of time in the air, rest and be comfortable, sleep and be on the ground with the least amount of jet lag flying across oceans & continents ... When those legs finally landed on solid ground, then, we look for "real" food, freshly cooked to order and not out of reheated gallery trays.

Hey, it's not my money so I don't need to think before doing it. There are reasons why non-US carriers get the highest ratings among travelers worldwide. My insider's tip while in Hong Kong, go find & try the freshly made-to-order Porco Sanduiche de Macau or Macau/Portugese Pork Chop Bun - you won't find it at McDonalds or any of the 4+ stars fine dining venue inside these hotels. Just be prepared for price/sticker shocks when the final bill is presented + service charge, all credit cards cheerfully accepted :D and ATM's are everywhere around the corner.

xoe & cdngrl, I will update if and when I come across anything new with the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal or with Ocean Terminal for that matter. Another advantage for flying CX, you can pre-order the Airport Express Train Passes for pickup/exchange on arrival with CC, no need to worry about currency exchange on the spot - and they are sometimes discounted with promo. We never pay for them but cashed out points to get them, just another minor "perk" for flying with a non-US and HK-based carrier that's actually owned the British Swire group (go ahead, Google it ...)

The Salisbury is an inexpensive hotel with a marvellous location. The dining room serves buffet style. There is also a cafeteria.

There are very good, more expensive restaurants nearby a t the Marco Polo, the Langham, and the Peninsula.

Thank you, that was helpful.

I don't have a problem with prime rib, sirloin or (non-fried) fish. The protein isn't the issue, usually it's the side dishes and sauces over the protein. Having one option isn't really an 'option'. That is slim pickings.

I've shown the Cathay Pacific menus posted above to DH. He is NOT a picky eater. Even he was disappointed in the lack of options and would have a difficult time.

Can you identify any airline whose business class routinely offers more options than this, or a wider variety of food styles?

Anyway, at least we all have choices.

Uh oh, choosing AA over CX?!

We dined at the Salisbury buffet twice and enjoyed the food and the light show at the same time. Book your table ahead of time. The restaurant downstairs serves simple meals, mainly to locals.

has resulted in more information than I ever imagined. Mking8288, you are on my "hero list" for invaluable details about arriving in Hong Kong. Thanks, Earl, for details about dining options at the Salisbury, and all others who have shared helpful comments.

Cathay Pacific was an easy choice because their flight time YVR-HKG is shorter than other routes, and they offer Premium Economy, which I need due to my height. I'm starting with a short Horizon hop SEA-YVR in order to use our Whidbey SeaTac airport shuttle service, which is much simpler than getting to YVR. Food was not even on my list of considerations; I sure don't fly for the food. There's always something to stave off starvation, but there's not always leg room. I seek the shortest time between home and my destination, including time in the air and in airports, and CP is the winner from my home location.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has flown with China Eastern Airlines from YYZ to HK and if they can comment. It is costing almost 500 dollars per person( Canadian) less to fly with them than with Cathay on economy.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has flown with China Eastern Airlines from YYZ to HK and if they can comment. It is costing almost 500 dollars per person( Canadian) less to fly with them than with Cathay on economy ...

Haven't flown them myself but one of our nephew's in-laws fly them nonstop to PVG (Shanghai) all the time in J (Business Class) on relatively new Airbus 346's (and on some routes, B777's) - which is MU's major hub, and you would connect onward to HKG, as transit pax.

The price difference is same as other popular city pairs when you compare CX with major US legacy carriers (i.e. UA, AA, DL) that service Asia themselves and/or with alliance partners - reflecting level, quality of services and their reputation - on both the "hard" and "soft" products. You can find discussions and trip reports in FlyerTalk (CC's equivalent) to help decide - and, whether you care about earning and/or getting credit for airline mileage, or not.

Between JFK and HKG, CX has a "premium" price difference of about $300 for economy class ticketing and it's a non-stop - difficult to choose for some, but for 2 flyers, $600 USD can pay for a lot of meas abroad and/or "extras" for cruising. As always, please plan to arrive at least 1 to 2 days prior - if not sooner - to adjust to time zone difference as jetlag is a major challenge - and in case of MX or weather delays en eroute - even with travel insurance. Flights are flying much fuller these days on these routes and it isn't as easy to get rebooked on other carriers, even if they can & do honor endorsement to get re-routed ... when all seats are sold out & fully checked in.

Enjoy your cruise !

Decision made.

We're on your same cruise- signed up when u were in Alaska

We're flying out of Toronto on air canada non stop to Hong Kong

Also got a great rate

Toronto is closer to RI than Dallas- you might want to check it out

Helaine