Hotel in Hong Kong

mprcruiser

Sorry for posting to an older thread, but, my question is mainly about the Salisbury. Would I need a power adapter for my US laptop? TIA.

Just an FYI - in the hotel pull out drawer, there was an adapter. Now I have a bunch of extras that I didn't have to buy :rolleyes:

And by the way, the Salisbury was WONDERFUL!

Edited by AcaCandy

Has anyone stayed at the Metropark in Kowloon??
But the TripAdvisor reviews are pretty good and the hotel has a free shuttle to the TST area. Ladies Market is nearby.

We used to have relatives in the area on Sai Yeung Choi St (between the hotel and Nathan Rd) and is/was pretty much a "locals" area.

I don't see any problem with that area as it is so easy to get elsewhere with the MTR plus your free shuttle. Plenty of places to shop and eat:)
This hotel is in ths Mong Kok area of Kowloon and we stay up there.
I was thinking about eelectric's post when I was in the area the other day. Careful is needed about exactly which hotel is being offered. There's the Metropark Hotel Kowloon, which is at 75 Waterloo Road; and there's also the Metropark Hotel Mongkok, which is a different hotel at 22 Lai Chi Kok Road and which might be the one that at least some of these comments refer to. My earlier observation applies equally to this hotel.

Which is better JW Marriott or the Renaissance Hotel For a first timer in Hong Kong I have Marriott points enough for 4 or 5 nights . PS before a cruise..THANKS

There are two Renaissance Hotels, New World in Kowloon and the other, Harbour View, on HK Island. The one on the island is attached to the Convention center.

The J W Marriott is on the island near the HK Occupy ground zero (which is mostly gone now).

I've stayed at the Harbour View; it's about a block via covered walkway to the MTR and close to a Star Ferry terminal for the ride across the harbour.

Here's a view from our room: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qinTw_DK6DU/TO04RpFTU_I/AAAAAAAAInE/muUM53O83Qw/s288/IMG_2478.JPG That's the convention center to the left.

There are two Renaissance Hotels, New World in Kowloon and the other, Harbour View, on HK Island. The one on the island is attached to the Convention center.

The J W Marriott is on the island near the HK Occupy ground zero (which is mostly gone now).

I've stayed at the Harbour View; it's about a block via covered walkway to the MTR and close to a Star Ferry terminal for the ride across the harbour.

Here's a view from our room: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qinTw_DK6DU/TO04RpFTU_I/AAAAAAAAInE/muUM53O83Qw/s288/IMG_2478.JPG That's the convention center to the left.

Which is better and nicer for a first timer if they are the same price for us using points 35000-40000

Edited by we're sailing away....

Which is better and nicer for a first timer if they are the same price for us using points 35000-40000

"For a first timer" I would stay at the Marriott. It's closer to the everything a visitor would go to on HK Island. Close to the Admiralty MTR station (I think is the main transfer hub). The Peak Tram Station is within walking distance via walkway.

Harbour View is one MTR stop away and has "the view" and is great if you have convention business to attend to.

Haven't stayed at the Marriott, but then the HK hotel biz is "very" competitive so I expect the 4* & 5* HK hotels, pretty much have the same basic aminities & services, IMO. So it all goes back to "location".

Back in the day we would stay at the Excelsior, which is across from the "noonday gun" and yacht harbor, and is even further down the MTR line.

I second the recommendation for the J W Marriott, which is a nice hotel anyway in its own right in addition to its location (which wasn't really that close to the protest camp, although that's now academic).

However, I suspect that a visitor would search in vain for the Renaissance New World, which was reduced to a pile of rubble some time ago. I'm not sure what's being put up in its place, but it's taken an awfully long time to get to the new construction phase.

Kinda late... but I wanted to toss in a budget suggestion... I stay there each time go to Hong Kong.

http://www.expedia.ca/Hong-Kong-Hotels-B-P-International.h906604.Hotel-Information

I spend 80% of my time on the mainland, this hotel is better for me. Crossing the harbor by boat, train, or car has additional costs. So I do all my island activities (Ocean Park, Aberdeen, Central, Mid-Level Escalators, Victoria Peak, etc... ) on the same day.

If you are plan to use the Airport Express, check out this list of shuttles and their hotels for suggestions to stay. The free shuttles makes it so much easier to get to and from the airport with luggage.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

As a side note.... locals and light travellers might find savings with the local buses. When you factor in travel time for the train, wait time for the shuttle, and then the ride to your hotel... it may not be much different than the cheaper local transit. As a heavy luggage traveller, I prefer the AE train because I feel more secure than riding crowded with locals.

Also, the Airport Express card also provides 3 days of unlimited transit.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/travel_pass_ael.html