Getting from Southampton to Heathrow

landolakesdoc

Hello all,

I am sailing on Sapphire Princess in July on a 7-day cruise to Norway, round-trip from Southampton. I currently have a flight scheduled to depart LHR at 12:05, flying to Toronto on Air Canada. I am a U.S. resident. According to Princess, our ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00, with unassisted disembarkation beginning at 7:30. Is it feasible to be able to get off the ship at 7:30, pass through customs at the cruise terminal, and arrive at LHR by private vehicle in time to catch my 12:05 flight? My only other good option would be to rebook to a flight departing the next day, at an additional cost of $600 to change flights, in addition to having to get a hotel, so I would prefer to keep this flight. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Edited by landolakesdoc

LHW, ICAO: ZLLL) is an airport serving Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu Province, China. I think you mean LHR. right?

I hope you make the flight, I think it will be tight

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic

I found you another forum to check out. This is for Europe/UK & British Isles. Just click the link

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

LHW, ICAO: ZLLL) is an airport serving Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu Province, China. I think you mean LHR. right?

I hope you make the flight, I think it will be tight

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic

Yes, sorry, I meant LHR. :) Thanks for you're input.

IF all goes well and the ship is in port on time and you don't have traffic, you'll make it in time. I made a 12:15pm flight once but it was really tight. I did walk-off disembarkation and a cruiseline transfer. Although the bus left Southampton within 10 mins. of me getting on it, it did move more slowly than a regular car would so that will save you some time.

If you haven't seen the Air Canada flying from LHR page, here tis:

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/london-heathrow.html

Cut off time for checking bags is 60 min before flight. Air Canada recommends arriving at the airport 120 min before flight; looking at the bag check procedures at LHR I would say it is definitely necessary. So if you are on the road by 8:45 at the absolute latest and hit no bad traffic you have a decent shot. I would book the pick up no later than 8:15 (8:00 may be better) and hope for no issues with express walk-off.

Hello all,

I am sailing on Sapphire Princess in July on a 7-day cruise to Norway, round-trip from Southampton. I currently have a flight scheduled to depart LHR at 12:05, flying to Toronto on Air Canada. I am a U.S. resident. According to Princess, our ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00, with unassisted disembarkation beginning at 7:30. Is it feasible to be able to get off the ship at 7:30, pass through customs at the cruise terminal, and arrive at LHR by private vehicle in time to catch my 12:05 flight? My only other good option would be to rebook to a flight departing the next day, at an additional cost of $600 to change flights, in addition to having to get a hotel, so I would prefer to keep this flight. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

The main issue is fog... what can I say, that is kind of unpredictable. Just got off a ship in San Francisco, another foggy city this morning, ship delayed getting into to port because fog bank so thick. I wish you luck.

It would be very unusual to have fog in this part of the UK in July. Also from the few experiences we have had as UK citizens sailing to and from Southampton - walking off with our luggage hasn't taken more than 30 minutes max. I don't think it is any different for overseas people. If you are paying for a private pick-up I would be inclined to have the driver waiting for you right outside your terminal at 7.30 - better to pay for an extra half hour or so and have the chance of a quick get-away. Make sure he does come right into the terminal (and the correct one). My in-laws had a car and driver and he parked the car off-site for some reason. Hopefully it is a week-end when traffic won't be so bad. Also - I'd be 'hanging around' reception soon after the ship has docked and make for the gangway the minute the announcement is made.

Wishing you luck. Have a contingency plan though - one accident on the way to the airport can easily add another hour or so to your journey.

Enjoy your holiday. We are on the Sapphire in February, leaving from Singapore. Just a few weeks before it's refit. Lucky you - New bedding.

=pris993;54977515]The main issue is fog... what can I say, that is kind of unpredictable. Just got off a ship in San Francisco, another foggy city this morning, ship delayed getting into to port because fog bank so thick. I wish you luck.

As others have said, it is possible but pretty tight. If it were me, I would look at later flight options, as in after 2pm. That way you have a bit of wiggle room and if you have any delays on the drive from Southampton (which is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours) you won't be as worried. Security at Heathrow was fairly quick when we were there and they had automated checkin machines/luggage tag stations (at least for United airlines). It's just not a fun way to end a cruise if you are rushing to catch a flight and stressed out.