Hong Kong pre-cruise hotel

Xoe

I'll be arriving 7:00 p.m. on January 24 before boarding Star Pride the next day, and am seeking a moderately priced hotel in the area of the cruise ship dock. The best I've found to date is the Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers. I'll be traveling solo. Any recommendations?

Information on the best way to get from the airport to the hotel will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'll be arriving 7:00 p.m. on January 24 before boarding Star Pride the next day, and am seeking a moderately priced hotel in the area of the cruise ship dock. The best I've found to date is the Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers. I'll be traveling solo. Any recommendations?

Information on the best way to get from the airport to the hotel will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

That's easy. The best value is the Salisbury in Kowloon. It fills up quickly. Don't be put off by the YMCA in the description. It was built on the old Y property 5 minutes from the Star ferry and from the cruise terminal and next door to the Peninsula, one of the most expensive hotels in HK.To get from the airport, take the express train to Kowloon and then a taxi to your hotel.

I appreciate your mentioning the Salisbury, which I'd read about and checked on, only to find it's already sold out for my date. I'll keep checking back in hopes there might be a cancellation.

Thanks too for your input on transport from the airport. Do you have any idea of the difference in cost between express train + taxi vs. taxi all the way? After a long flight (SEA-YVR-HKG) I might be better off having just one step to take.

OP, your Star cruise will be at the Ocean Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui area, next to the Star Ferry crossing the Victoria Harbor, which is very easy to get to by taxi, a short & inexpensive ride by U.S. standards from hotels nearby. http://www.oceanterminal.com.hk/en/about_us.php

For a moderately priced (3 stars) hotel - you might want to take a look at the CityView Hotel on Waterloo Road, 2 easy blocks from Nathan Road & the MTR subway train. Rate is about $130 USD for 1 night + 10% service charge. http://www.travelocity.com/Hong-Kong-Hotels-The-Cityview.h45439.Hotel-Information?chkin=01/04/2015&chkout=01/05/2015&rm1=a1&

For something more upscale, 4 stars - the Novotel Nathan Road - lowest non-refundable rate is $180 for 1 night. It's close to Jordan Road MTR station. http://www.travelocity.com/Hong-Kong-Hotels-Novotel-Nathan-Road-Kowloon-Hong-Kong.h23450.Hotel-Information?chkin=01/04/2015&chkout=01/05/2015&rm1=a1&hwrqCacheKey=effa620c-4308-4178-83f4-0935416a2ff1HWRQ1401162918671&c=6083fb67-9bb4-4d3d-881a-f525e7624852&

Both hotels are very close to the Kowloon Airport Express Station, which offers free porter services for luggage transfer and free shuttle to area hotels on multiple routes - no need for paying a taxi for the short transfer. These 2 hotels are also served by the convenient Airport Bus with limited stops (it should be CityFlyer's A22 Bus that run along Nathan Road) and very inexpensive - cost about $5 USD equivalent & it has luggage racks - we managed it with our 25" int'l checked roller suitcases. Travel time from airport to Nathan Road is about 45 minutes. Airport Express Train ride is about 20 minutes to Kowloon Station + free shuttle transfer & cost about $13 USD. A taxi ride from the airport to town will take anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic and will run about $45 USD including tolls, tips not included (10-15% will be fine)

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_around/complom_free_bus.html - free shuttle buses are K1 and K5 for these hotels.

Use your favorite online travel booking sites to lookup hotel availability & rates, and check out Tripadvisor's ratings and most importantly, traveler's pictures & comments about the hotel - I contribute to it & do mostly pictorial review myself.

Postcript/edit - also, checkout the "Eaton" Hotel on Nathan Road in Kowloon, good rates & convenient to/from everywhere - http://www.travelocity.com/Hong-Kong-Hotels-Eaton.h3100.Hotel-Information?chkin=01/04/2015&chkout=01/05/2015&rm1=a1&hwrqCacheKey=effa620c-4308-4178-83f4-0935416a2ff1HWRQ1401162918671&c=6083fb67-9bb4-4d3d-881a-f525e7624852&

Edited by mking8288

I appreciate your mentioning the Salisbury, which I'd read about and checked on, only to find it's already sold out for my date. I'll keep checking back in hopes there might be a cancellation.

Thanks too for your input on transport from the airport. Do you have any idea of the difference in cost between express train + taxi vs. taxi all the way? After a long flight (SEA-YVR-HKG) I might be better off having just one step to take.

I still recommend train and taxi. The train starts in the airport. It is quick and inexpensive. From the train stop in Kowloon, taxi is quick and inexpensive. The free shuttle bus is slow as it makes many stops.

I think what happens is that HK hotels do not show availability for 2015 yet. (If you check Dec 2014, you will see lots of rooms available. Suggest you phone or e-mail the Salisbury. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Earl Rosebery

Earl, you are right that it's too early for the Salisbury to show availability for January. I'll check back and may book there when January dates open up.

Mking, thanks for your valuable information about the dock location for Windstar's Star Pride, and ideas for hotels and airport transfers. I will check those out too.

I am not at my best after long-haul flights, and therefore hope to find a one-step airport transfer which allows me to get on a vehicle at the airport and then be deposited at my hotel. I'll check on the options you mention -- thanks very much.

I use TripAdvisor all the time; it's a great source of information, as are these Cruise Critic message boards. Being a first-time visitor in Hong Kong makes it more challenging to evaluate locations, so my initial focus has been proximity to the cruise ship dock.

... Mking, thanks for your valuable information about the dock location for Windstar's Star Pride, and ideas for hotels and airport transfers... I am not at my best after long-haul flights, and therefore hope to find a one-step airport transfer ... Being a first-time visitor in Hong Kong makes it more challenging to evaluate locations, so my initial focus has been proximity to the cruise ship dock.

None of us flying TPAC can function well with jetlag ... The Airport Express Train has 2 city stops, Hong Kong Station on one side of the Victoria Harbour and Kowloon Station on top of reclaimed landfills - but a bit far from the popular Habour, Star Ferry & the Ocean Terminal (used for cruises for 50+ years) - hotels within easy walking are rather expensive @ $400+ & up for a cityview. Book a fully refundable hotel now as it is round the New Year and there's several cruise ships in town around your travel date, which would explain the limited availability - plenty of 4 & 5 stars property @ higher price tiers now and plenty of "guest rooms" at 1 to 2 stars of tiny rooms, popular with no-frills budget Chinese mainlanders looking for bargains. Historic Salisbury Y is highly sought after but keep checking back if there are cancellations or bookings open up. ** It appeared that mid-ranged hotels "suitable" for cruiseline's direct bookings for passengers arriving early have been blocked & booked up, in & around the TST area as even the "Kowloon Hotel" on Nathan Road is sold out (stayed there in mid 1980's - famous for its ultra tiny standard rooms even for those days.)

HKIA is bilingual-English & visitors friendly, there are free luggage carts as you deplane for carryons & hand luggage, you then board APM (Automated People Movers) to main terminal to clear, easily, Immigration Control & then proceed to pickup checked luggage, claim another free luggage cart - then out pass Customs (most visitors have nothing to declare & proceed out to the Arrival Hall, generally to the right). Just before exiting secured airside, there's Foreign Currency Exchange counter and MTR/Airport Express Train service counter, to get help & info, and then proceed to transportation.

AE Train boarding is within the terminal, just follow the signs & porters are available if you need help. This is the preferred way for most business travelers & flyers, it's fast-efficient-reliable and depending on your final choice of hotel, on arrival - proceed to the shuttle buses and/or porters can help you. Urban traffic congestion in Hong Kong is well-known and the train is often faster than a single-ride taxi. If you are tired & exhausted after the 20+ minutes ride to town, take a short taxi ride to the hotel - cost is minimal (metered rate under $10 USD for all nearby locations) and you will promptly check in to your room.

The airport and the AE train has free WiFi and MTR has free WiFi inside the fully air-conditioned stations to use Google Map, NAV & browse.

Go to Youtube as there are a # of official HKIA and MTR/AE videos to help you prepare for arrival.

Edited by mking8288

We stay at the Hyatt Regency up the street three maybe four blocks but less expensive than some other high end hotels. We just booked for our return cruise during the new Year which is Feb. 19 2015. We stay at this hotel for business several times a year.

I appreciate this information tailored to my situation, needs, and wants. When I arrive in HKG I will feel even more grateful for your help than I am now.

I'll keep watching this thread and others for any further ideas, and will email the Salisbury whose location looks excellent.

Thanks!!

Another vote for Salisbury for its excellent location. We stayed there a few years ago and literally walked to the cruise terminal.

The rooms should be opened up for booking soon. I had to wait til last month before Nov 2014 was available for booking. We still prefer Salisbury despite our cruise departs from Kai Tak terminal.

We took the double deck from the airport, which stopped right across the street from the hotel. It was a great experience for my children as they got the ride the bus upper deck, cross the massive bridge and into the dazzling night life of HK. Quite the intro to this fascinating city.

Transfer from the airport to the Salisbury on the top deck of a bus sounds like fun. I'll appreciate details about that: what it's called, where I would go to board, what kind of payment is accepted. To ride on the top deck, do you need to haul your bag up a narrow stairway on the bus? Would the driver be able to alert me at the correct place to get off?

I've exchanged emails with Joyce at The Salisbury and have a reservation confirmed pending receipt of my credit card details, which I'm unwilling to send by email due to risk of hacking. I'm hoping their web site opens soon so I can use their encrypted method of sending this information.

Long live the Cruise Critic message boards, which are incredibly helpful for linking a neophyte like me (for Hong Kong) with travelers who have experience and are willing to share it. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

I'm traveling solo to hong kong in October for a princess cruise. picking a hotel was hard! it took me about 3 weeks researching. I couldn't believe how expensive they are! I found one, but I'm afraid to put it here. its the royal plaza hotel. it was cheaper than the salisbury. if its awful don't tell me! trip advisor tells me its good. I have no idea what its close to but figure i'll get there around 7pm and sleep. the next morning I go to the cruise. I'm doing a b2b so I do come back to hong kong to actually spend time there. I plan on taking a cab to the hotel and then to the ship. I've heard taxis are relatively inexpensive. we dock at the new kai tak terminal.

Hong Kong hotel prices are a shock. It's mind-bending to be trying to stay under $200 for a one-night hotel stay. I like that I can walk from the Salisbury to my ship the next day, also that the hotel's position is great for seeing the light show, which sounds like fun.

My cruise ends in Ho Chi Minh City, where a hotel that is highly rated on TripAdvisor can be reserved for $32. What a difference! Do you know where you'll stay at the end of your b2b?

Happy cruising to both of us --

Transfer from the airport to the Salisbury on the top deck of a bus sounds like fun. I'll appreciate details about that: what it's called, where I would go to board, what kind of payment is accepted. To ride on the top deck, do you need to haul your bag up a narrow stairway on the bus? Would the driver be able to alert me at the correct place to get off?

I've exchanged emails with Joyce at The Salisbury and have a reservation confirmed pending receipt of my credit card details, which I'm unwilling to send by email due to risk of hacking. I'm hoping their web site opens soon so I can use their encrypted method of sending this information.

Long live the Cruise Critic message boards, which are incredibly helpful for linking a neophyte like me (for Hong Kong) with travelers who have experience and are willing to share it. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

Phone her. Then you'll have certainty. The bus from the airport would be slow compared to the train.

xoe, i end in beijing. i do have a (i'm sure overpriced) tour to the great wall then to the hotel and a transfer the next day with princess to get me to the airport.

i'm a bit out of my comfort zone booking a hotel in asia and finding my way to the port. i have a visa card and a passport. i should be fine!

Transfer from the airport to the Salisbury on the top deck of a bus sounds like fun. I'll appreciate details about that: what it's called, where I would go to board, what kind of payment is accepted. To ride on the top deck, do you need to haul your bag up a narrow stairway on the bus? Would the driver be able to alert me at the correct place to get off? ...

It's the CityFlyer Bus, Route A21 - Stop #14 (Middle Road @ Nathan Road) that's on the opposite side of the Kowloon Hotel, diagonally across/behind the Peninsula Hotel or 2 blocks to the Salisbury Y. These air-conditioned double decker bus have digital/electronic display signboard of upcoming stops, bilingual announced so that you can prepare to disembark - plus there's a map of the stops onboard. Press the marked call button to signal to the driver that you plan to get off at the next stop, if not pressed already as these are routes with limited stops. There are racks downstairs for larger luggage as 25" suitcases are likely too heavy to bring to the upper deck (and there's no storage for it) Just take your carryon or hand luggage with valuables with you.

Inside the Arrival Hall (after customs, before reaching the "greeting" area - there's Foreign Currency Exchange) and MTR Transportation Deck for assistance. HKTA also has a manned booth with maps, booklets & info for travelers with questions & English is spoken. Bus fares are payable in local currency only or the popular Octopus Card (electronic pass) that you probably don't need - it's $33 HKD (or about $4.25 USD) for the one-way trip (subject to change, of course) in exact change. Travel time is about 50 to 60 minutes. http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/route/index.aspx?intLangID=1 A21's Route (Stop #14) - http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routesearch.aspx?t=1401424731754&intLangID=1 This Youtube video will give you a reahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvRo-V7nHgl-time view of the stops (50:25 is the Stop #14 for the Salisbury)

I'm traveling solo to hong kong in October for a princess cruise ... about 3 weeks researching ... expensive ... its the royal plaza hotel ... no idea what its close to but figure i'll get there around 7pm and sleep. the next morning I go to the cruise. I'm doing a b2b so I do come back to hong kong to actually spend time there. I plan on taking a cab to the hotel and then to the ship ... taxis are relatively inexpensive. we dock at the new kai tak terminal.

Billions of Chinese get time off in October, especially early in the month, in Hong Kong & China - where it's considered "Golden Week/Month" for travelers & hotel occupancy are high, so are the rates - you won't find any bargains and definitely NOT with your fellow cruise ship passengers doing the same. The Royal Plaza is connected to one of HK's MTR Station, known as Mong Kok East Station, it's part of the Grand Century Place Shopping Mall complex, where you can find a variety of Chinese & western food, including of course, McDonalds, and Pacific Coffee Company, etc. for dinner & breakfast before heading to the Kai Tak Terminal - and yes, by taxi & metered fares will be inexpensive (under $10 USD or $77 HKD) - print a map/direction for the pier, just in case - although by now, most taxi drivers should know & be familiar with the route.

Hotel is fine, it's not in the most popular "tourist" part of TST but it's just about 5 or 6 blocks to busy Nathan Road and Ladies Market, etc. Coming from the airport, taxi fares will run you about $350 HKD or $45 USD including bridge tolls + tips. Airport Express Train is $100 HKD or $13 USD, the train ride is about 21 minutes plus a free transfer on K5 route at the Kowloon Station, Stop #3 is the Royal Pacific Hotel (add 15 to 20 minutes for the free shuttle, as streets are congested always in that area with traffic) - do take advantage of free porter services in the station to help with luggage.

HKIA's video (in Chinese w. English subtitles) - for arrival/transit info - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xtNU5zAWk

For residents with HK ID, they can speed thru very quickly - 15 minutes from the Gate/Jetbridge to the AE Train, passing immigration, luggage & customs, thru arrival hall.

Hi Xoe, can I ask where you found Salisbury's email address? I can't seem to load their contact details from the web site.

This will take time to study and digest. Happily there is plenty of time to do that, 7 months actually.

Earl, thanks for urging me to call the Salisbury. Their confirming e-mail says they'll hold my reservation provided I give them credit card details by December 1. That's good because the card I prefer to use for foreign currency charges expires 12/14 and will be renewed by then. If I decide on the bus from the airport instead of train or taxi, it will be because it sounds like fun to see Hong Kong for the first time from a bus's top deck. That decision may end up being made based on whether I'm totally or only partially exhausted when exiting the airport.

Bella99, the Salisbury's e-mail is: room at ymcahk.org.hk

mking8288, your information is invaluable and will be used. Thanks ever so much. It's great to have specifics from someone who clearly has "been there done that".

cdngrl, I also am a bit out of my depth in making these plans. I am becoming more comfortable with my Hong Kong plans, thanks to all of you, but have not yet settled on plans for my one-night stay in Ho Chi Minh City at the end of my cruise. Although there are many well-reviewed low-priced hotels, I'm not yet clear as to what area/location would suit me best.

Billions of Chinese get time off in October, especially early in the month, in Hong Kong & China - where it's considered "Golden Week/Month" for travelers & hotel occupancy are high, so are the rates - you won't find any bargains and definitely NOT with your fellow cruise ship passengers doing the same. The Royal Plaza is connected to one of HK's MTR Station, known as Mong Kok East Station, it's part of the Grand Century Place Shopping Mall complex, where you can find a variety of Chinese & western food, including of course, McDonalds, and Pacific Coffee Company, etc. for dinner & breakfast before heading to the Kai Tak Terminal - and yes, by taxi & metered fares will be inexpensive (under $10 USD or $77 HKD) - print a map/direction for the pier, just in case - although by now, most taxi drivers should know & be familiar with the route.

Hotel is fine, it's not in the most popular "tourist" part of TST but it's just about 5 or 6 blocks to busy Nathan Road and Ladies Market, etc. Coming from the airport, taxi fares will run you about $350 HKD or $45 USD including bridge tolls + tips. Airport Express Train is $100 HKD or $13 USD, the train ride is about 21 minutes plus a free transfer on K5 route at the Kowloon Station, Stop #3 is the Royal Pacific Hotel (add 15 to 20 minutes for the free shuttle, as streets are congested always in that area with traffic) - do take advantage of free porter services in the station to help with luggage.

HKIA's video (in Chinese w. English subtitles) - for arrival/transit info - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xtNU5zAWk

For residents with HK ID, they can speed thru very quickly - 15 minutes from the Gate/Jetbridge to the AE Train, passing immigration, luggage & customs, thru arrival hall.

I cannot express how thankful to you I am for taking the time to help. you are the reason these boards are useful...do you want to come with me so my jet-lagged self doesn't even need to think? :D I wonder if I'm brave enough to take the train and transfer? scary!

Edited by cdngrl

in feeling a bit timid on this. When feeling bright and energetic I would like to take the train, which makes sense and would be interesting; however, after flying SEA-YVR-HKG, I too would benefit from having a guide (such as you, mking8288 -- where can we sign up???)

It's great to set off on this journey with up-to-date information about specific options, which we now have. Your help is wonderful.

in feeling a bit timid on this. When feeling bright and energetic I would like to take the train, which makes sense and would be interesting; however, after flying SEA-YVR-HKG, I too would benefit from having a guide (such as you, mking8288 -- where can we sign up???)

It's great to set off on this journey with up-to-date information about specific options, which we now have. Your help is wonderful.

like. :)

we're almost on the same route: I fly yyj-yvr-hkg.

and yes, if I was alert and on my game, I'd be up for the adventure.

after more hours than I care to count on a plane, I won't be firing on all cylinders so am reluctant to do this. its the transferring from the airport train to the k5 route then schlepping my suitcase and back pack to the hotel that have me concerned....pretty much the whole thing. such a wuss!