Question for those who DO think we should dress nice in the MDR

famof4togo

I am of the mindset that we should dress up a bit for the MDR....so for those of you who are like-minded...

Can a 7 year old wear shorts on NON formal night? He will be wearing formal attire on the formal nights...but for the non formal nights...can he wear shorts? I don't mean technically I mean should he wear shorts I guess...now please note, I have no intension of sending him in like a t-shirt and jean shorts etc...but he has several outfits that have matching shorts with a collared or button down shirt....and I can't quite figure out if they are appropriate or not...I would have him wear these outfits to a casual church or picture day at school etc...so again, nice shorts...

Options please, but fingers crossed not the next great debate on MDR attire...

THANKS in advance.....

I love threads like this as all you have do to is point back to what Carnival says about it:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

NO I get the technical answer (as indicated in original post) I wanted peoples personal opinion's on the matter as I am on the fence about it myself...it was my fault to say "can they" instead of "should they"

NO I get the technical answer (as indicated in original post) I wanted peoples personal opinion's on the matter as I am on the fence about it myself...it was my fault to say "can they" instead of "should they"

It really doesn't matter my personal opinion on this. The dress code says you "can", so you or your 7 year old "may." :)

FYI, my 4 year old grandson wore shorts on a family cruise a few years ago. Nobody batted an eye.

Please don't overthink or stress over this. It's fine...really.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

I have three sons and a husband and think that as long as they’re freshly showered, and are wearing decent shoes they all look acceptable in the MDR on casual nights in long khaki pressed shorts with golf or button down shirts. I think your son will look fine. It is in the acceptable dress code as well.

That said my husband always chooses to wear long pants to dinner but if we’re in the Caribbean where it’s warm the boys will always choose shorts.

I think it is fine for boys or men for that matter to wear shorts with a collared shirt in the dining room. As long as they look nice and aren't in gym apparel.

100% Agreement.... Plus Carnival's Dress policy states its ACCEPTABLE!! Not they enforce it for the non complyers anyway!!

My wife won't let me wear a "Howell" hat to Formal Evening....sigh.

But to OP I would think that if the shorts match the outfit there's no problem.

I mean he's 7!!

I think that once children hit a certain age, say 9 or 10, then it is absolutely important to start being more strict on their attire in certain situations.

It teaches them that in certain situations the way you dress/act shows respect for themselves and others.

But when you are 7 just sitting fairly still for most of dinner is an achievement!

And if you can make it through that without spilling anything that's just a bonus!

(source: was a 7 yr old boy once and have since raised two daughters).

My wife won't let me wear a "Howell" hat to Formal Evening....sigh.

But to OP I would think that if the shorts match the outfit there's no problem.

I mean he's 7!!

I think that once children hit a certain age, say 9 or 10, then it is absolutely important to start being more strict on their attire in certain situations.

It teaches them that in certain situations the way you dress/act shows respect for themselves and others.

But when you are 7 just sitting fairly still for most of dinner is an achievement!

And if you can make it through that without spilling anything that's just a bonus!

(source: was a 7 yr old boy once and have since raised two daughters).

I agree and thanks and we have yet to see a meal without a spill lol...there is NOTHING messier then a 7 year old boy...at least mine lol....