Beaches in Mykonos

autopost

We went to Super Paradise Beach in Mykonos. We got a taxi over as soon as we got off the ship and pretty much had the beach to ourselves for the first 2 hours. People started arriving by boats (water taxi, I guess) later on. We had loungers right at the water - they charge different prices depending where the lounger is but the ones up front were a perfect way to spend the day. They had food, drinks and bathrooms. Food was pretty reasonable. In the afternoon we went to Little Venice to explore see the windmills and have lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
It depends on your ship. We were on Celebrity and we docked and Celebrity provided buses for the short ride into town. I think if you tender you are right in town.[/quote

Thank you! We are also on Celebrity and we do not tender at this port.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you! We are also on Celebrity and we do not tender at this port.

Don't be so sure about that ;)

Arrangements can change overnight, depending on wind & weather. I think the krunch is whether your ship can berth safely in the prevailing conditions.

We were scheduled to berth but ended up tendering, and apparently that's not unusual.

It's one of the few ports where tendering is better than berthing ..........

The cruise berth is about 2 miles from town, requiring a taxi or bus or ship's shuttle to get to town.

The tender operation is quick & pleasant (ours used local boats rather than ship's tenders but I don't know if that's always the case) and the tender jetty is at the harbour right on the town's waterfront.:)

If you want to head for a good beach I guess it makes no odds whether you berth or tender because you'll need transportation.

There's a beach on the town's waterfront - OK for a quick paddle but pretty poor in all respects & no facilities. Not the place for a "beach day".

JB :)

Beaches are a very personal thing :). But on Mykonos we have oft taken the local bus (from the bus station near the windmills) over to Paradise Beach...which has pretty extensive facilities and chair rentals. For those that want something a bit less commercial you can get a small shuttle boat from Paradise over to Super Paradise.

As to Santorini, we do not generally recommend a beach day since the island is such a fascinating place for those who have never visited or perhaps been there only once. But our favorite beach on the island is called Red Beach...which is at the far end of the island and not easy to access (perhaps this makes it one of the best beaches).

Hank