Costa Maya - Beaches? Stay at port?

cruiserbrianj

I hope the photos helped give you a feel for the port.

We love just spending hours there and it gives us a nice break from taking tours.

Keith

It’s nice to have options in case everyone doesn’t want to go to the beach. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm posting in various places on CC not knowing where the best spot is, to ask basically, the same question. Solo female in this port and will not just wander alone. Not safe. I have tentatively signed on for a shore excursion called Beach Getaway with NCL. Nothing but terrible reviews on this spot on the NCL site. But, sometimes, only unhappy people post a review. So...if anyone has been on this same excursion, please share the experience. I'm likely staying on the ship which I never do. I did not choose the western Caribbean, it chose me after the CAT 5 hurricanes in the eastern. Thanks in advance for info on the excursion if you've been!

:)

I'm posting in various places on CC not knowing where the best spot is, to ask basically, the same question. Solo female in this port and will not just wander alone. Not safe. I have tentatively signed on for a shore excursion called Beach Getaway with NCL. Nothing but terrible reviews on this spot on the NCL site. But, sometimes, only unhappy people post a review. So...if anyone has been on this same excursion, please share the experience. I'm likely staying on the ship which I never do. I did not choose the western Caribbean, it chose me after the CAT 5 hurricanes in the eastern. Thanks in advance for info on the excursion if you've been!

Costa Maya is one of the most safe ports you could possibly visit. My DH & I volunteered to accompany in Costa Maya a single woman we met on the cruise. She wanted to do some shopping. Within 15 minutes of being off the ship she realized there was no need to be accompanied, and she happily wandered off on her own. Costa Maya is a port entirely created by and for the cruise industry. It is gated and patrolled; no locals are allowed inside, nor anyone without a ship card. The only people in Costa Maya are employees of the shops and restaurants and other cruise passengers. I’d encourage you to relax and enjoy the shops and the free pool (it’s beautiful). Enjoy the restaurants and bars, the live cultural entertainment, or pay a little extra to visit the butterfly garden. You will be safe there :) No need to book an excursion that doesn’t get good reviews.

• Like 1

Highly recommend Tropicante! Do not bother booking a cruise excursion in Costa Maya. We were actually there just last week, our first port on a Celebrity cruise. The place is quite popular, so book your lounger(s) ahead of time. Steve, the owner, is responsive and helpful. Taxi fares are $2pp each way from the port area, which takes some skill to exit. DH and I had bottled beer, guacamole, chips and salsa. I got a 1-hr beachside massage (wonderful)...total bill before tips was $50. There’s free onsite WiFi and attentive service by concierges and wait staff.

Highly recommend Tropicante! Do not bother booking a cruise excursion in Costa Maya. We were actually there just last week, our first port on a Celebrity cruise. The place is quite popular, so book your lounger(s) ahead of time. Steve, the owner, is responsive and helpful. Taxi fares are $2pp each way from the port area, which takes some skill to exit. DH and I had bottled beer, guacamole, chips and salsa. I got a 1-hr beachside massage (wonderful)...total bill before tips was $50. There’s free onsite WiFi and attentive service by concierges and wait staff.

Tremendous info and thank you. We go in July so have a little bit of time still but I’ll take your advice on reaching out early rather than later

I hope the photos helped give you a feel for the port.

We love just spending hours there and it gives us a nice break from taking tours.

Keith

Thank you. Wonderful photos. Beautiful spot! You must be a local to have no tourists in the shots! I'll go on YouTube to check out choices while there. Thanks again!

Thank you. Wonderful photos. Beautiful spot! You must be a local to have no tourists in the shots! I'll go on YouTube to check out choices while there. Thanks again!

I am a tourist but got off the ship as soon as we arrived so it was very quiet that first hour or two. ;p

Keith

Is the pool that you showed pictures of free to swim in for the kids? Our kids love non-salt water pools and they still talk about a small one we found last year to swim in.

Yes, totally free to everyone and a very nice pool.

DH and I are also schedule to take this same excursion, but I think I may cancel it. Would love to hear from those who have been on this Beach Getaway as well.

Just at Costa Maya yesterday. Early 60’s female and you will feel totally safe inside port area. Lots of shops and several restaurants. Sat upstairs in a decent restaurant. Had chips/salsa and a soda and watched people swimming with the dolphins. It is a VERY safe, enclosed area. A wonderful way to spend a couple hours off the ship!

Just at Costa Maya yesterday. Early 60’s female and you will feel totally safe inside port area. Lots of shops and several restaurants. Sat upstairs in a decent restaurant. Had chips/salsa and a soda and watched people swimming with the dolphins. It is a VERY safe, enclosed area. A wonderful way to spend a couple hours off the ship!

THANKS! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith1010, I just finished seeing the rest of your pictures, very nice.:)

I don't know if you will know this or someone else may answer this. I understand there is a shuttle we can take for $2, where do we find the shuttle and purchase tickets after getting off the ship? I believe there is a town, and I would like to check it out as well.

All of Keiths' pictures were at the port. Once you weave your way thru all of the shops and exit out the back you can catch the shuttle that takes you to the little town of Mahahual about 5 or 10 minutes away. There you can enjoy the beach.

Thank you for the great pictures of the port. My wife and I are there (Norwegian Dawn) on March 28 and also had scheduled the Beach Getaway through NCL. We decided to cancel it, and will rent a golf cart and drive to Majahual ourselves and bar/beach hop for the day. We'll get back in time to browse the actual port, but wanted to experience some "real" Majahual life. Weather should be beautiful!

Thank you for all your answers. Since we are planning on seeing the celerain light house, I really don't mind a rocky beach, as we really don't do much water, and since we are from "Missouri", and don't have the natural beach, we love just laying on it.:)

Thank you for the great pictures of the port. My wife and I are there (Norwegian Dawn) on March 28 and also had scheduled the Beach Getaway through NCL. We decided to cancel it, and will rent a golf cart and drive to Majahual ourselves and bar/beach hop for the day. We'll get back in time to browse the actual port, but wanted to experience some "real" Majahual life. Weather should be beautiful!

not trying to change your mind but be aware that the malecon where the beach bars are is pedestrian only so you would have to park your cart and walk anyway, unless you are planning to drive outside of town down the very bumpy highway to a few more remote beach bars.

If you are only going to town it seems expensive transport when taxi is only $2pp.

We bar hopped a few weeks ago and walked the whole length of the malecon from south just outside of town up to Blue Kay.

We took a taxi into Mahuahual (about $3) and found a nice beach area right by the light house. Nothing there, just beach but it's a little rocky. Private, no one bothered us.

Was this just to the north of Blue Kay, or north of the lighthouse?