Car Rental

RHDZ

My husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise in June 2019, Seward to Vancouver. We are thinking of flying into Fairbanks then taking 7 days to get to Seward. We would like to do the land portion before the cruise on our own. I know many of you have rented cars so I have a few questions.

How early did you rent?

What companies?

I know prices will be more than the lower 48 states but how much more?

Thank you all!

We are also cruising out of Seward and doing the land package through the cruise line from Fairbanks to Seward so we have Denali covered in that part.

We looked into doing the reverse, flying into Anchorage, renting a car and making our way up to Fairbanks. One way rentals via various sites, at least what I found, were close to $1000 - maybe a one way from Fairbanks down will be less, not sure. A one way flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks was about $99, so that decided it for us, rent a car in Anchorage and explore the Kenai peninsula and fly to Fairbanks, 5 day care rental about $250.

If you are traveling in 2019, start looking at prices in October 2018. Book something (as long as you don't have to put in a credit card to hold the reservation) and then check back often looking for a price drop. I usually book either directly with the car rental company or through my Costco or USAA memebership.

If you are traveling in 2019, start looking at prices in October 2018. Book something (as long as you don't have to put in a credit card to hold the reservation) and then check back often looking for a price drop. I usually book either directly with the car rental company or through my Costco or USAA memebership.

Not the OP, but thank you for info. I didn't realize rental cars could be booked as early as October '18 for 2019. I thought it was like a hotel, and could be reserved at 365 days. Good to know!!

We are also cruising out of Seward and doing the land package through the cruise line from Fairbanks to Seward so we have Denali covered in that part.

There is a big caution with this claim. (it doesn't sound like this poster has been there yet?)

There are some cruise tours, that only have a Natural History tour included. The rest have the Tundra Wilderness tour. Neither, I consider preferable options IF you have a Denali park priority? I find the minimum suggestion is Eielson via shuttle bus, and ideally Wonder Lake- for the most, Denali viewing opportunity.

It's especially skimpy the transit times involved with cruise tours. I can't see why anyone would want, all those hours in transit and not getting into the park? Which the NHT barely does. So, know your details and factor in everything you want out of your trip.

I'll also suggest, if additional time is not being invested in Fairbanks, it can be pretty doable to have a round trip Anchorage rental car at a reasonable cost. All one ways, will come with significant drop fees. However- I look at the "value" of my time as being my priority. There will be times, where a one way, makes far better use of your time, and well worth it.