Greek islands by Silversea Whisper

Cheili

Has anybody done a 7-days Greece cruise by Silversea? Piraeus -Hydra- Myokonos- Kos- Santorini- Kusadasi-Volos - Piraeus. Any feedback on the itinerary or the cruise ship please? I have booked the cruise but am having second thought about it as I am not sure about the ports of call, other than Santorini and Myokonos which I really want to see. Any feedback or comments will be appreciated.

Hydra is an island not far from Piraeus -- the town is charming and there are good beaches (so I've heard -- not a beach person so I haven't tried them....)

Don't know anything about Cos.

Kusadasi is a wonderful stop in Turkey (if you make it) that allows you to visit the tremendous archaeological site of Ephesus -- this is the main reason for stops here and should NOT be missed.

Volos -- most people use a stop here to visit the Greek monasteries on Meteora. It's a bit of a long drive but worth it as there's not anything extremely interesting in Volos itself. Read about the monasteries here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/13/meteora_in_greece_is_home_to_six_marvelous_mountaintop_monasteries.html

Thank you for prompt response. For some reason, the itinerary includes a one night on board at Piraeus. I Ma just wondering whether we should do Acropolis the day after we have checked in onto the cruise ship ( the cruise sails at 7 pm so we probably have to be back well before that), or do it before we check in which means we have to stay one or two. nights in Athens. How far is Piraeus from Athens city and Acropolis please? Thank you for your advice!

Piraeus is not far from Athens; about 20 minutes drive by car, give or take traffic.

As to when to do the Acropolis, the best timing is to be there right when it opens to avoid the heavy crowds that converge there by about 10:00 am and onward throughout the day.

It's my understanding that Silversea includes at least some shore excursions. Perhaps you want to have a look at what (if anything) is included on that day in Piraeus and then decide. They may offer a nice tour to Corinth or elsewhere that's more difficult to get to on your own -- in which case it would be worth it to me to come into Athens a day early and do a few sites there on my own before heading to the ship.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DH and I will be on the Whisper for the 10 night Greek cruise. We make several of the same stops, ending in Athens. I don't believe you will be disappointed with any Silversea experience. Plus, many of these stops are "off the beaten path" where the larger ships and crowds don't venture. I have also found that Silversea does a great job getting you into port when there are few other ships scheduled (when they can, as some stops are just far too popular to avoid the crowds). Silversea does not have tours included, but often does have a bus/van service that will take passengers from the ship into the heart of the port city at most stops.

Don't know anything about Cos.

Kos or Cos is a large island in the Dodecanese, half way between Rhodes and Patmos. It is very near the coast of Turkey and there is a ferry to Bodrum. Yes, you can see Turkey from Kos.

It is very, very popular with European tourists - think spring break in FL - because it has lots of beautiful, sandy beaches. (I do like beaches.) It also has Greek ruins, a medieval castle and many Italian (Mussolini era) buildings. Very interesting story - invaded by everyone!

It also has a huge tree under which Hippocrates is said to have taught medicine.