Pride of America and NCL

Fenway Frank

Hi all,

Wondering on your thoughts about NCL. So far, I am a little perturbed at how NCL handles the customer service.

This was kind of an unexpected trip to Hawaii and the best to see the Islands was a cruise. NCL is the only game in town and this will be our First time cruising on NCL and the Pride of America. We booked and paid for the last Obstructed Ocean View they had, or so they said. Then the next week, they open up the bidding process for upgrades. (Hint-NCL, If you told me it was more to get a bigger room in the first place-I wouldve paid it)

Just got an email yesterday that the trip will be cut short a day due to some repairs or inspection. Its' going to dry dock. They are picking up the hotel for the night we lose and offered a 25% discount on a future cruise. If you read further on (almost in smaller font) they will reimburse you the lost day in cash. But you had to work to get it. It just seemed a little greasy for them to nickle and dime you on every little thing and then when its time for them to do you a solid they make you work for it. Is this normal for them? I found that other cruise lines were more accommodating to people dropping coin with them.

We are really looking forward to the trip and managing our expectations about the Cruise experience. Thinking of it more like just transport and a place to crash.

Hi all,

This was kind of an unexpected trip to Hawaii and the best to see the Islands was a cruise. NCL is the only game in town and this will be our First time cruising on NCL and the Pride of America. We booked and paid for the last Obstructed Ocean View they had, or so they said. Then the next week, they open up the bidding process for upgrades. (Hint-NCL, If you told me it was more to get a bigger room in the first place-I wouldve paid it)

Just got an email yesterday that the trip will be cut short a day due to some repairs or inspection. Its' going to dry dock. They are picking up the hotel for the night we lose and offered a 25% discount on a future cruise. If you read further on (almost in smaller font) they will reimburse you the lost day in cash. But you had to work to get it. It just seemed a little greasy for them to nickle and dime you on every little thing and then when its time for them to do you a solid they make you work for it. Is this normal for them? I found that other cruise lines were more accommodating to people dropping coin with them.

We are really looking forward to the trip and managing our expectations about the Cruise experience. Thinking of it more like just transport and a place to crash.

Room availability changes on a daily basis, especially leading up to final payment. If you want to upgrade your room you may be able to, but you may lose some of the perks you got when you first booked. It sounds like you booked late, so just go online and see if any better room is available for the price you paid. Then with a call to either NCL or your TA you may be able to upgrade.

While I would probably be frustrated with losing a day on the cruise it sounds like they have made a good alternate plan. It also sounds like all the options were in the communication they sent. So maybe go in with the attitude of making sure you get all the information so you can make an informed decision is the right attitude. If you go looking for problems you'll surely find them. If you have questions, ask.

Vic

Hi all,

Wondering on your thoughts about NCL. So far, I am a little perturbed at how NCL handles the customer service.

This was kind of an unexpected trip to Hawaii and the best to see the Islands was a cruise. NCL is the only game in town and this will be our First time cruising on NCL and the Pride of America. We booked and paid for the last Obstructed Ocean View they had, or so they said. Then the next week, they open up the bidding process for upgrades. (Hint-NCL, If you told me it was more to get a bigger room in the first place-I wouldve paid it) Just got an email yesterday that the trip will be cut short a day due to some repairs or inspection. Its' going to dry dock. They are picking up the hotel for the night we lose and offered a 25% discount on a future cruise. If you read further on (almost in smaller font) they will reimburse you the lost day in cash. But you had to work to get it. It just seemed a little greasy for them to nickle and dime you on every little thing and then when its time for them to do you a solid they make you work for it. Is this normal for them? I found that other cruise lines were more accommodating to people dropping coin with them. We are really looking forward to the trip and managing our expectations about the Cruise experience. Thinking of it more like just transport and a place to crash.

First, if the ship is broken, the ship is broken. Sorry that your cruise and the next cruise will be impacted. I'm sure that the cruise line did not intentionally break the ship just to inconvenience you. There is a longer thread on the topic https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2602489. Better to be on the cruise coming into the repair than after (which could get cut shorter and shorter depending on the maintenance requirements.

Second, bidding is offered on all ships, regardless of whether it is empty or full. There are people that drop out at the last minute and they are giving people the best opportunity to move up in cabin classes if there are unsold rooms. We have cancelled on week of cruise a few times.

First NCL doesn't have customer service. No two answers ever when you call.

That said we have enjoyed each trip on NCL. The crew have always been friendly and helpful. Food hit or miss but that's been the same on other lines as well. It's our choice for vacation to cruise because we unpack once and our cabin travels with us.

Give them a chance and you should enjoy your vacation, after all Hawaii. How often will you go there .

It truly amazes me that people don't understand that when you call a reservation call center (for any cruise line) you get a minimum wage call center operator, or off shore agent, who has been minimally trained to "google" their call center system and read whatever results they think are appropriate. We callers start getting argumentative or hostile, most call center agents will say just about anything (i.e., make stuff up) to get you off the phone and not have to deal with you.

I would never book a cruise through the cruise line. You don't save any money and anytime you have a question, you call then "hurry up and wait"; and, as a previous post indicated, you never get the same answer twice. I have used a travel agent for all of our cruises and have never been disappointed. I email her with the questions I have and she gets the answer. If the answer turns out to be incorrect, I have a real person that I can get a hold of who gave me the wrong answer. Just make sure that when you find a travel agent that you like (the best bet is to get a referral from a friend or coworker); you communicate your wants and needs clearly, sit back and wait for the results.

We’ve done NCL’s Hawaiian cruise 4 times on various ships over the the last 17 years. As you stated, and from experience, this is a great way to see the islands.

This isn’t your typical cruise experience, in my opinion, it is really more about the islands. The ship is your floating hotel with food. Just know you are going to spend a lot of money because nothing is cheap in Hawaii.

I know you have to be extremely disappointed that your cruise is being cut short by a day after much searching, researching, and planning. I know you will enjoy it regardless, so I wouldn’t let it ruin your trip.

I think all of the cruise lines are nickel and diming their passengers these days. We cruise twice a year and it never fails, each cruise we get on, something less is included or something costs more. But in all honesty, that’s how everything is these days.

Enjoy your trip, each island is a totally different experience and it is a beautiful place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies.

I am totally cool, with the change in plans. Yes it was last minute......and I get it, Hey stuff happens, what are you gonna do? Its how they offer the compensation that matters.

Hotel for the spent night- awesome!

Refund for the one day-awesome!

No dinner or lunch on the wasted day-bummer but not a killer.

The 25% off as a first choice in the presentation, just sends the wrong message. I would say that you offer the discount in addition to the other offerings. It isn't going to cost you in the long run. It's just good service and encourages those to buy into the brand. So its more transportation for us than anything else. Just have to reframe the expectations and we are good.

OK I took some heat for my comments and fair enough. I dont wanna be "that" guy that complains. But the way that NCL is handling things is very reactionary, as in "after you call" reactionary. I just got off the phone with support (3 different operators) about not being able to print my edocs, see the moderated Intinerary and what is the deal with our Hotel for the night we have to stay in Honolulu. All I got was the form letter about the Hilton Hawaiian Village and some promises from operators telling me not to worry.....Yikes. Cmon how does a major corporation operate like this? They really need to communicate more and at least make it seem like they care.

OK I took some heat for my comments and fair enough. I dont wanna be "that" guy that complains. But the way that NCL is handling things is very reactionary, as in "after you call" reactionary. I just got off the phone with support (3 different operators) about not being able to print my edocs, see the moderated Intinerary and what is the deal with our Hotel for the night we have to stay in Honolulu. All I got was the form letter about the Hilton Hawaiian Village and some promises from operators telling me not to worry.....Yikes. Cmon how does a major corporation operate like this? They really need to communicate more and at least make it seem like they care.

The Hilton Hawaiian is on a large stretch of beautiful beach. From what I understand, the restaurants there aren't that good. I enjoyed the Macadamia nut pancakes at Cinnamon's restaurant at the Illikai which is close to the Hilton Hawaiian. Steak Shack by the Outrigger Reef has cheap lunch plates. There also is a free Army museum by the Reef. Hope this info helps. Sorry about your cruise being shortened but I think you still will enjoy.

The Hilton Hawaiian is on a large stretch of beautiful beach. From what I understand, the restaurants there aren't that good. .

We stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights preceding our 2015 POA cruise, and never had a bad meal. We had breakfast everyday at the NY Deli (DW loved the banana pancakes). There are several smaller take-out type places in what would be considered a food court. Some great options.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW- Dinner was very good last night...lots of options at Hawaiian Village. Will definitely stay here anytime!!! So great points for Hilton (Being a Diamond Honors member helps greatly. Blew past check in line and they upgraded me to a FANTASTIC Room. Take a lesson NCL.

We were on the March 3-10 cruise with a family group. We were not impressed by the lack of communication with the transition to the hotel and the long wait to get our luggage to our room. The Hyatt did not seem to be prepared for the large number of guests arriving. It could have been worse, but overall, it was just a "luck of the draw" as far as getting the short cruise.

We were also on the POA March 3rd sailing. We were assigned to the Hyatt Regency and decided that rather than take the NCL provided bus, it would be less stressful to keep our pre-arranged transportation to the hotel (we called in advance to inform them to come a day early!) so as not to have to deal with the possibility of long lines of confused passengers. Our shuttle arrived at 9am and we were at the Hyatt shortly after (those taking the NCL bus to the Hyatt were to leave the ship at 7:30am). We stored our luggage after waiting on the NCL "pre-check in" line and were on our way on a privately prearranged excursion by 10:15am.

Although we fortunately had no problems, I was surprised that NCL was requiring passengers who already had their cruise cut short by a day to vacate the ship at 7:30am. Hotel rooms weren't generally available until about 3pm, so unless passengers had time to pre-arrange an excursion or other activity in addition to modifying the rest of their cruise excursion arrangements before sailing, 7+ hours was a long time to wander around or sit in the lobby area and people watch... :confused:

We were also on the POA March 3rd sailing. We were assigned to the Hyatt Regency and decided that rather than take the NCL provided bus, it would be less stressful to keep our pre-arranged transportation to the hotel (we called in advance to inform them to come a day early!) so as not to have to deal with the possibility of long lines of confused passengers. Our shuttle arrived at 9am and we were at the Hyatt shortly after (those taking the NCL bus to the Hyatt were to leave the ship at 7:30am). We stored our luggage after waiting on the NCL "pre-check in" line and were on our way on a privately prearranged excursion by 10:15am.

Although we fortunately had no problems, I was surprised that NCL was requiring passengers who already had their cruise cut short by a day to vacate the ship at 7:30am. Hotel rooms weren't generally available until about 3pm, so unless passengers had time to pre-arrange an excursion or other activity in addition to modifying the rest of their cruise excursion arrangements before sailing, 7+ hours was a long time to wander around or sit in the lobby area and people watch... :confused:

If on the trip that ended and they were getting everyone off by 7:30 that is only 1.5 hours earlier than when they normally try to get everyone off.

If on the trip that ended and they were getting everyone off by 7:30 that is only 1.5 hours earlier than when they normally try to get everyone off.

I understand that, but I guess my point was that since there were unusual circumstances surrounding the end of this sailing (cut short by a day, necessitating transfer to a hotel for what should have been the last day of the cruise) maybe the disembarkation times could have been later, not earlier, since the hotel check in times were not until approx. 3pm. This meant that those disembarking were possibly left in limbo during the time between leaving the ship and having access to their hotel rooms. Having said this, NCL might have had no choice if they needed to empty the ship and use every minute of available time to complete the dry dock in time for the next cruise to begin only one day late...

(To clarify, we did self-debarkation at 9am, stored our luggage at the hotel and were out on an excursion by 10:15, so I'm not complaining for myself. I just feel badly for those who might have been left at loose ends between disembarkation and actually being given access to their hotel rooms. It's all water under the bridge at this point anyway and I'm sure we all survived just fine!)