Galveston Limousine only giving 50% refund

mrh1282

So I was scheduled to be on LOS on Aug 27 and like alot of you already know it was canceled. I contacted Galveston limo and asked if we would be getting a refund because the cruise never happen and they didn't provide a service. They told me "yes" So today I got my refund and it was only 50%. I called and asked why and she said they decided to only give back 50%. So now they are making money on people who were affected by Harvey. They didnt provide a service the trucks never left the yard and now they are going to take advantage of us. It get worse and worse day by day.

I'm not in the legal or law enforcement business so I have zero idea if what I'm about to say has any merit or not. But I wonder a couple of things with one siding toward limo company and one toward passengers in your situation.

If they have a no refund under any circumstance policy, then all take their chance when booking. So if they had a policy like this and still gave back 50%, you're doing well.

If a policy regarding canceling doesn't exist (or even if one does) I wonder if the lack of a more generous refund under these extenuating circumstances might fall under some sort of gouging. I know the parking lot we've contracted with in Galveston for a cruise has a policy of full refund less only $15, which I think is fair (this is their policy all the time; may have been more generous for those canceling 8/27, but I don't know that for sure)

News in Houston has said to report overcharges that people find. If I was you, I'd do some homework, gather all the policies, emails, logs of phone calls, etc. and see if you need to make noise.

Their web site clearly states:

"50% non-refundable cancellation fee."

http://www.galvestonlimo.com/airport-shuttle.asp

Ok did I cancel? No I didn't. They didn't provide service for anyone. Their was no service due to cruise being canceled. So it ok to keep everyone money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok did I cancel? No I didn't. They didn't provide service for anyone. Their was no service due to cruise being canceled. So it ok to keep everyone money?

No need to bark at me. I am simply quoting what their WEB site states. Legally speaking, by you not using their service, you cancelled the reservation. Having said that, please read the following below.

I think they should have provided 100% regardless of what their policy is.

When there are catastrophic events people and companies need to be understanding and this is one where the company should be providing full refunds.

Keith

I totally agree. This is one of those circumstances where the company should make an exception. Perhaps contacting the Texas State Attorney's Office or BBB.org would make a difference for this particular case.

We were already planning to use Galveston Express, when I found Galveston Limo's website. I did a mock booking & saw the 50% cancellation fee & decided for that reason not to use them, just in case, even though they were slightly less expensive.

• 1 month later...

Yes, you did cancel. Did you go to the airport to take the limo to galveston? No you did not.

I think they should have provided 100% regardless of what their policy is.

When there are catastrophic events people and companies need to be understanding and this is one where the company should be providing full refunds.

Keith

Agreed, future cruisers should take note. This is the way they will treat you.

So I was scheduled to be on LOS on Aug 27 and like alot of you already know it was canceled. I contacted Galveston limo and asked if we would be getting a refund because the cruise never happen and they didn't provide a service. They told me "yes" So today I got my refund and it was only 50%. I called and asked why and she said they decided to only give back 50%. So now they are making money on people who were affected by Harvey. They didnt provide a service the trucks never left the yard and now they are going to take advantage of us. It get worse and worse day by day.

Will your insurance cover the difference?

Totally understand your frustration. You have been all over the boards posting this. I don't know how many passengers you had but I think about those employees who lost their income too because of Harvey. My family was affected so perhaps that shades my view. I would have only lost $50 for two of us cruising so if they enabled Gal Limo to pay their employees for a few days,I would consider it a worthy donation.

Yes, you did cancel. Did you go to the airport to take the limo to galveston? No you did not.

Did they run their limo between the airport and port that day? No, they didn't, so they cancelled. That's like saying if an airline cancels your flight due to weather, they don't have to give you a full refund because you didn't show up to the airport, after they cancelled the service.

Nearly excursion operator I've ever seen that has a no-cancel policy offers a full refund if the ship didn't make port. If they'll do that in Jamaica, seems like they would do it in Texas.

OP: I'd file a compliant with your credit card company. I think Gal Limo would have to show they actually run their service that day and since the didn't, the CC would refund you. Or file a complaint with the BBB.

When companies do stuff like this it just shows how penny-wise and pound-foolish they are. This post alone would get me to book with a competitor, and I am sure there will be many more like it on Yelp, TA and others.

If a business is closed due to a storm I don’t understand how you guys are ok with that. You must love giving out money. If you have some extra please feel free to hand some my way. It doesn’t mater what you guys think. We file claim with the attorney general and they are going after them for price gouging. I just want to make sure the people who used them that day get the money back.

Well as long as they have it on their website, then they did not do nothing wrong, it is legit.

They have it on their website that if they don't run their service, they will still charge you 50%? I don't think I've ever seen that on any service providers' website ever.