Annual Medical Plans - 70 day max is a problem for us

lovestx

I tried searching for an answer but just can't seem to get one so hoping someone will chime in.

My husband and I are in our 50s and are retired (lucky, yes). We have no pre-existing conditions. We private pay for our medical insurance (and that of our 23 and 21 year old kids). It's crazy expensive. We are not covered out of network.

We travel throughout the year so need to buy some type of travel medical insurance. We would like to buy an annual plan; however, we spend more than 70 days on St. Croix each winter. GeoBlue Trekker policies won't cover us beyond 70 days. And for reasons that aren't clear to me, St. Croix (in the US Virgin Islands) is considered international.

Does anyone on this board have advice for us on an annual medical plan? What do World cruisers do? If we don't buy round trip airline tickets for our St. Croix trip, would that enable to be covered when and if we need it. Don't like to cheat/steal, but just trying to figure out if there are any options.

Thanks in advance for any help you might give.

I just looked at our Roamright annual, multi-trip policy, and it has a limitation of 30 days, so that definitely won't help you.

I'd suggest you call or do a chat session with insuremytrip and see if they sell a product that will meet your needs. You could give tripinsurancestore a try as well, but they don't seem to offer as many products as insuremytrip.

Call and ask an insurance broker if are other annual medical policies that cover for longer trip lengths. If you cannot find a multitrip policy that you like, you can always purchase individual trip policies for longer than 70 days and use the Geo Blue plan for everything else.

What a good problem to have. Congratulations.

Just a couple of thoughts. Have you asked your friends how they handle this?

How about your financial adviser? They might have a thought.

Might even want to ask Steve at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com he might be able to point you in a good direction.

Come back and share what you find. Hopefully I'll have your problem some day.