What brands of scotch are stocked onboard and prices?

firefly333

saint greg i think those prices are for drinks, not bottles of scoth. I guess i asked the question not clearly. Im trying to bring home about 4 bottles for friends.

globe9 thanks, though I dont know if those are good brands or not or a clue about prices. like 2 for $60? lol i dont have a clue how much 4 bottles will be. more?

They gave me a list of good brands they like, MacAllan;), Glenfiddich, Glen Morangie, Arberlour, LaPhraoa. Those might be hard to find I guess? One guy said he got the Arberlour for $46 on sale here, Im hoping stuff is cheaper on the ship than here in the stores?

saint greg i think those prices are for drinks, not bottles of scoth. I guess i asked the question not clearly. Im trying to bring home about 4 bottles for friends.

globe9 thanks, though I dont know if those are good brands or not or a clue about prices. like 2 for $60? lol i dont have a clue how much 4 bottles will be. more?

They gave me a list of good brands they like, MacAllan;), Glenfiddich, Glen Morangie, Arberlour, LaPhraoa. Those might be hard to find I guess? One guy said he got the Arberlour for $46 on sale here, Im hoping stuff is cheaper on the ship than here in the stores?

The pictures in that thread are of the bottles for sale in the fun shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

oh i see the bottles, it went to different pictures, just had to scroll down. though I couldnt see any prices for scotch, maybe it costs more so they dont put prices in front of them? i could make out where it said Johnny Walker but not the price, and something that said 1738, might be scotch?

Ill keep looking maybe i can make out some prices if i look more closely, saw some Jack Daniels.I think thats whisky? thanks for the pictures.

I will see what they think of johnny Walker and Dewers if thats all they have. And keep peering at your pictures.

I think there is a really expensive black Johnny Walker right?? and some cheaper ones.

well i have some idea anyway, thanks. ill go and peer at the pictures som more now that i saw to scroll down. thanks

wow do they have anything thats decent in a little lower price range?

I was just getting some as a gift, thats a bit stiff.

Id hoped to spent like $100 and get 2 or 3 bottles, i guess scotch is expensive..

If anyone knows any other onboard scoth prices, please help me out here. tia. yikes.

wow do they have anything thats decent in a little lower price range?

I was just getting some as a gift, thats a bit stiff.

Id hoped to spent like $100 and get 2 or 3 bottles, i guess scotch is expensive..

If anyone knows any other onboard scoth prices, please help me out here. tia. yikes.

I don’t know about onboard but I will say GOOD scotch is expensive period :) I buy my husband bottles from total wine for about $100-$150 a piece but they last him a long while because it is a sipping drink that he likes to enjoy.

It's been my experience that you don't save that much buying liquor on a cruise, especially on the ship. Mostly what you save is duty which is like sales tax & even if you save 10%, don't forget the hassle of carrying it back to the ship or off the ship. You can't carry it on to a plane & you shouldn't put expensive scotch in an unheated cargo hold. And don't forget the limit when you go through customs.

It's been my experience that you don't save that much buying liquor on a cruise, especially on the ship. Mostly what you save is duty which is like sales tax & even if you save 10%, don't forget the hassle of carrying it back to the ship or off the ship. You can't carry it on to a plane & you shouldn't put expensive scotch in an unheated cargo hold. And don't forget the limit when you go through customs.

“I still like to stop at the duty free shop.”

22BV0BpCMn4

Edited by Saint Greg

Lol. I take it you don't live in Connecticut. We can save over 50% on lots of liquor on the ship. Worth the little trouble to bring home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Why would you buy bottles onboard? Save your money and buy good scotch when you are back home. I'm a Laphroaig guy myself.

OP stated he's :

1) Not knowledge about scotch

2) purchasing as a gift

3) Doesn't want to break the bank

4) Looking for help about brands/price ON ship

Most of what you mention are pretty cheap here in the US for the regular 12 year old variety somewhere in the $50 range. I remember they sell A variety pack of Johnny walker bottles you may get at a good bundled price. If I were you I would get Hennessy White! It's not a scotch but a cognac that you cannot buy in America and it sells here for something like triple what you pay onboard and is rather "rare". Again not scotch but something special they may like. It usually sells out early on during the cruise so if you decide buy it early

Cheers

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

Last time on board they had a Johnny Walker event where you could get a package of varying Scotch's for a pretty fair price. I don't remember specifics but if you are looking for value, that could be where it is at for you. For what it's worth, the 2 bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label for $280 is an absolutely fantastic price compared to my local liquor stores.

Generally, you'll find the standard 12 year olds like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan, etc. Usually the prices run about $10-15 cheaper per liter compared to the fifths here in GA, i.e. a fifth of Glenfiddich 12 here is in the $50-60 range and I've seen it on the ships for ~$40-45, but for a liter. So definitely cheaper. And I picked up a liter of Glenfiddich in Nassau a few years back for $28! Sometimes it pays to look around in port!

I've also seen some 15 and 18 year olds a few times, but they tend to run in the $75 and up range that's a bit pricey for gifts!

They usually have all or most of the Johnnie Walker offerings. From bottom up: Red, Black, Double Black, Green, Gold, Platinum, and Blue. They usually have a Scotch tasting event on the second or third night where you can try several varieties of JW. They will also have special offers available. The 2/$280 on JW Blue is dang good as it runs $220 a bottle locally.

I personally don't recommend Dewar's white label. That stuff kept me away from Scotch for years!

Oh, and as for the duty if you go over the limit? Runs about $1.50-2.00 a bottle. And that's IF they charge you. Out of 6 cruises, I've never brought back less than 8 bottles and have only had to pay duty once. For the 6 bottles my wife and I were over, we paid $11 and change.

Ill look for the Henessey White. I saw a couple of kinds 2 for $49.99 sounds about in my range. I have extra onboard credit I planned to put toward the scotch and Im driving and its no trouble to stick in my carry on, i travel light to those asking why I would buy onboard, maybe a bottle in cozumel. I know there is a liquor store across from the port in cozumel. not sure any deals.

Ill write henessey white on my list im bringing with me in case they have it.

i see one above that i cant quite read Glenxxxxxxx, single something scotch i think it says, by itself below the other scotches.

Since I have extra onboard credit, why not use it toward scotch, not sure why people think its a hassle. I live about a 5 hour drive from galveston, and plan on walking off with it early walk off. easy before, though I havent cruised in the last 2 years, maybe things have changed.

These guys Im bringing it home for are mainly scotch drinkers. There maybe better sales at the discount liquor stores in town, but I have extra onboard credit to spend on the ship.