Sirena questions

stevec999

We took out first cruise on Oceania earlier this year and enjoyed it very much(Riviera). Following our TAs advise we booked a B3 and really enjoyed the large veranda.

We are looking to book on the Sirena in a B1,B2 cabin. I can see the cabins on the Sirena are smaller but can't really visualize the difference in size. Also the bathrooms look a lot smaller. I am not a small person and wondered how small the bathrooms really are.

I would appreciate thoughts from people who have sailed both ships.

The veranda cabin bathrooms ARE small! No question about it, especially the shower. However, having said that -- we were in a B1 cabin this summer on Nautica and my memories of the miniscule shower were altered. In the past I thought it was impossible (I'm not a small girl either although I'm not at all tall), but after a number of years cruising in PH and above, I found that I didn't mind that shower. But if you are a six footer or more, you probably will have a problem!

The PH bathroom on the "R" ships, while not as large as the bathrooms on the higher cabins on Marina or Riviera, is for me quite comfortable. Bear in mind that I'm one who prefers the combo tub-shower to the newer shower configuration.

Mura

The rooms on Sirena look a lot smaller but in reality they are not that much smaller. In fact, they have more usable storage and better closet design. Don't be fooled by the square footage numbers alone as these include the room and bathroom; most of the larger sq ft on Riviera is in the bathrooms. The bathrooms on Sirena, on the other hand, are much smaller - especiallly the shower.

That said, they are perfectly fine - especially for a port intensive cruise.

I agree with Paul that storage is more than adequate. At least it is for us! We don't try to bring along the entire contents of our medicine cabinet at home.

Space is somewhat tight but not impossible. It was always the shower that bothered me the most, but as I said it didn't bother me nearly as much when we returned to the veranda cabin after many cruises in suites.

This time what I noticed more than the shower size was that when drying myself off after a shower, my hands were pretty much reaching each wall ... well, that's a bit of an exaggeration! But there wasn't much extra room.

Mura

The veranda cabins on Sirena are spacious enough for us - though the larger cabins on the O-class ships do tend to spoil you. The baths are quite small, however - I really missed the large O-class baths (especially the tub!).

I do bring the medicine cabinet with me, so a hanging cosmetic bag is an absolute must on Sirena. Hung on the hooks on the bathroom door, it makes storage so much easier, everything is easily visible in the hanging bag, and there's nothing rolling around on the vanity.

There has been lots and lots of discussion of the small shower and 'clingy curtain' already. The shower is small, but manageable for average size folks. It isn't that bad, but certainly not luxurious.

However, our Sirena voyage was enough to make me decide our next trip will not be on R-class ships.

The rooms on Sirena look a lot smaller but in reality they are not that much smaller. In fact, they have more usable storage and better closet design. Don't be fooled by the square footage numbers alone as these include the room and bathroom; most of the larger sq ft on Riviera is in the bathrooms. The bathrooms on Sirena, on the other hand, are much smaller - especiallly the shower.

That said, they are perfectly fine - especially for a port intensive cruise.

Just spent 3 weeks on Sirena, and anothe 3 weeks on Insignia in B2 and F both with 5 to 7 sea days in a row ! They were, even the inside, just fine. The cabins are about 50 sq ft smaller than Riveria, and the veranda about 5 sq ft. ( for a B4 not a B2 .......the B3's are now B-2) But The B2 hava a veranda 2.25x the size of any other O class veranda cabin.

There is a ton of space to store stuff, lots of space to store in the bathroom, The shower is not overly large... about 5% smaller than Riveria and has a curtain and is darker... making it "feel" much smaller, its more optics than reality. Its great for a 6 ft mormal person .. and its just fine... The best cabin I feel is the C1 extended oceian view... no veranda but larger then any other... almost penthouse feel.

A personal note the only cabin I would eat or snack in is a Penthouse and above on R class and Oc class on O class ( I think the O class penthouse dining area is pathetic at the foot of the bed...)

A personal note the only cabin I would eat or snack in is a Penthouse and above on R class and Oc class on O class ( I think the O class penthouse dining area is pathetic at the foot of the bed...)

While didn't find the O class PH dining "pathetic", it certainly was less comfortable for me than dining in a PH on the "R" ships.

• 4 weeks later...

First time on one of the O's R ships - Sirena. Does anyone know if the shower stall has a grab bar? (my friend said it's too small to fall in, but????). If NO then I'll need to bring a portable one for my wife. Thx.

I'm assuming that you are in a Veranda cabin or below given that you are asking about the shower. I do not recall a grab bar in any of the showers on the "R" ships. Those showers are VERY small, so perhaps that's why they weren't considered necessary.

We were in Sirena in October but in a higher suite where they removed the tubs and replaced them with big showers. I would have liked a grab bar or two. Indeed, there may have been one but the shower was so large that I nearly fell on my ass in rough weather when I wasn't close to the grab bar. Plus I had soap in one hand and the wash cloth in the other ...

Play it safe and bring one along if it's necessary. The veranda and below showers on the "R" ships are so small that it would be hard to fall all the way down ... then again, I'm a bigger person than many!

Mura

While didn't find the O class PH dining "pathetic", it certainly was less comfortable for me than dining in a PH on the "R" ships.

Poor choice of words for the silly table at the foot of the bed, What were they thinking???? You can however lie in the bed and eat off the table;) The R class has the table in the living room area and is more enjoyable in every respect:D

Poor choice of words for the silly table at the foot of the bed, What were they thinking???? You can however lie in the bed and eat off the table;) The R class has the table in the living room area and is more enjoyable in every respect:D

OK Dan we get it, you don't approve of the placement of the table in the O ship Penthouses which you don't book anyway for other reasons....

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

It might be a better world if all of us agreed with you, but not all of us do, so please stop repeating yourself.

OK Dan we get it, you don't approve of the placement of the table in the O ship Penthouses which you don't book anyway for other reasons....

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

It might be a better world if all of us agreed with you, but not all of us do, so please stop repeating yourself.

We like the table in front of the bed quite a lot. Great place to eat breakfast and watch the news in the morning. And if not there is another table in front of the sofa on the other side of the suite. We love the PH and everything about them. :):):)

First time on one of the O's R ships - Sirena. Does anyone know if the shower stall has a grab bar? (my friend said it's too small to fall in, but????). If NO then I'll need to bring a portable one for my wife. Thx.

Was on Sirena in March/April in a concierge veranda cabin and yes there is a grab bar in the shower to hold on to while in there. Came in very handy when we had rough seas.

Edited by nettarj

Holding a PH cabin on Sirena and have a few questions...

Is there a vibration in the aft section? (Other former R ships have this issue.)

Is there noise coming from the Lido above during breakfast hours?

Does the shower have a grab bar?

How comfortable is in-suite dining?

How crowded/full are the shore excursions and buses?

Holding a PH cabin on Sirena and have a few questions...

Is there a vibration in the aft section? (Other former R ships have this issue.)

Is there noise coming from the Lido above during breakfast hours?

Does the shower have a grab bar?

How comfortable is in-suite dining?

How crowded/full are the shore excursions and buses?

Hello,

I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. There is vibration in the aft part of the ship when moving. We did not stay in an aft PH. The vibration was very noticeable in the MDR but not as noticeable in the Terrace Cafe

2. We rarely heard noise from the Lido. We were under the patio area and did occasionally hear a cart but it never woke us up.

3. Don't remember about the grab bar.

4. The table in the room is very small. We had breakfast once or twice but it would definitely not be suitable for a full dinner. The table on the balcony was larger and more suitable.

5. We did independent tours so can't help you there.

Its a great ship. Loved the PH.

• 4 months later...

We just booked an A-1 extended aft cabin 7116 for the Rome to Miami transatlantic in August 2018 on Sirena. I am trying to decide if we should move up to PH 2 or 3 for the extra space which does sound appealing but the larger balcony for the transatlantic might be better. Has anyone sailed in 7116 or the equivalent and if so, can you weigh in? Thank you!

We just booked an A-1 extended aft cabin 7116 for the Rome to Miami transatlantic in August 2018 on Sirena. I am trying to decide if we should move up to PH 2 or 3 for the extra space which does sound appealing but the larger balcony for the transatlantic might be better. Has anyone sailed in 7116 or the equivalent and if so, can you weigh in? Thank you!

As the R ships are configured the same, you may wish to search in this forum on 7116. I found many threads including Sirena about his topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2227396&highlight=7116

• 2 weeks later...

We just spent 2 weeks on Sirena in a PH and thought there was more than enough space. We had plenty of drawer and closet space and even had unfilled spaces left. As for the bathroom it was perfect. Each one of us had space for our toiletries above and below the sink. The shower was a great size as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

We've sailed in 7114 on the Nautica and our Aunt was in 7116. The cabin is exactly the same as any other Category A, but the veranda is deeper.

By deeper I mean that the distance from the outer cabin door to the railing is about 12 feet, as opposed to the five feet of a typical "side of the ship" veranda. The Width of the veranda is exactly the same as any other A cabin, so it is a narrow, deep veranda.

125316.jpg

About 60% of those verandas are shaded by the overhang of Deck 8.

The views from the back of the ship are stunning.

We've sailed in 7114 on the Nautica and our Aunt was in 7116. The cabin is exactly the same as any other Category A, but the veranda is deeper.

By deeper I mean that the distance from the outer cabin door to the railing is about 12 feet, as opposed to the five feet of a typical "side of the ship" veranda. The Width of the veranda is exactly the same as any other A cabin, so it is a narrow, deep veranda.

125316.jpg

About 60% of those verandas are shaded by the overhang of Deck 8.

The views from the back of the ship are stunning.

Thanks Jim! We actually ended up taking 6090, the verandah of which I think might be a little deeper. Our cruise is a transatlantic (Rome to Miami) so I think this cabin in the end will be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...