Zeebrugge (Bruges) On Our Own

halfapair

Hello,

We are booked on a Baltic Cruise on the Marina in July 2018. One of our stops is Zeebrugges (Bruges, Belgium). We have been to Bruges before and would like to spend the day strolling the town on our own and visiting a museum that we didn't get to see on our previous trip.

How easy or difficult is it to take a taxi from the Port to town, and then get back in the late afternoon?

You can pre book a taxi to take you into Bruges & set a time for pick up or just get one when you are ready to return

We found it better to prearrange the pick up return time

It was 50E each way but if you can find other to share it works out cheaper

Or take the train if that works for you

Lots of info on getting to/from Bruges on the Ports of call forum

FWIW: On our visits with O to Bruges in 2015 & 2016, the cruise line provided an hourly (I think) shuttle bus from dockside to the center of Blankenberge. This is not walking distance like other cities such as Oslo, Hamburg or Helsinki.

The drop-off point is right next to the train station. Trains to Bruges depart hourly. The fare is about three euros each way; a fraction of what you'll pay for a cab. You can see the schedule at http://www.belgianrail.be/jp/sncb-nmbs-routeplanner/query.exe/en. The ride is smooth, non-stop and takes 15 minutes; the station in Bruges is an easy walk to everything.

That said, a cab may be your best bet if you have mobility challenges. Our "easy walk" is not necessarily everyone's, though we are in our 60s & 70s.

I've been in Bruges twice (2013 & 2016) and had the same experience both times - the taxi services book up very quickly! You have 2 options: getting to the train station in Blankenberge, then taking the train into Bruges OR booking a taxi to pick you up at the port gate and drive you to/from Bruges. I HIGHLY recommend the later; way less time and hassle.

Last year I arranged for the taxi (a van that will carry 8 people) for people on my roll call. The cost was 100 Euros round trip (split 8 ways, 12.5 Euros - approx $14.60 - per person round trip) and took about 30 min. each way. We agreed on a pick up time in the morning and afternoon and the driver was very prompt. They take you right into town and pick you up there too. I used Martin's Taxi, martinstaxi at skynet.be. You must take the free shuttle from the ship to the port gate because you are not allowed to walk on the port grounds.

In 2013 we were on a taxi from Rony's Taxi's. I didn't arrange it, but they were also prompt and good. We paid the same, 100 Euros for an 8 person van. Hope that helps.

Bruges is one of my favorite places! No need for any excursions; an easily walkable DIY town. Do not miss taking a canal ride, gorgeous cathedrals (one with a Michelangelo sculpture), to-die-for chocolate, delicious mussels, lace and purses, a lovely carriage ride around town from the main square and, if you're there on a Friday, seeing the Holy Blood at the Basilica of the Holy Blood. Enjoy!!

I've been in Bruges twice (2013 & 2016) and had the same experience both times - the taxi services book up very quickly! You have 2 options: getting to the train station in Blankenberge, then taking the train into Bruges OR booking a taxi to pick you up at the port gate and drive you to/from Bruges. I HIGHLY recommend the later; way less time and hassle.

Last year I arranged for the taxi (a van that will carry 8 people) for people on my roll call. The cost was 100 Euros round trip (split 8 ways, 12.5 Euros - approx $14.60 - per person round trip) and took about 30 min. each way. We agreed on a pick up time in the morning and afternoon and the driver was very prompt. They take you right into town and pick you up there too. I used Martin's Taxi, martinstaxi at skynet.be. You must take the free shuttle from the ship to the port gate because you are not allowed to walk on the port grounds.

In 2013 we were on a taxi from Rony's Taxi's. I didn't arrange it, but they were also prompt and good. We paid the same, 100 Euros for an 8 person van. Hope that helps.

Bruges is one of my favorite places! No need for any excursions; an easily walkable DIY town. Do not miss taking a canal ride, gorgeous cathedrals (one with a Michelangelo sculpture), to-die-for chocolate, delicious mussels, lace and purses, a lovely carriage ride around town from the main square and, if you're there on a Friday, seeing the Holy Blood at the Basilica of the Holy Blood. Enjoy!!

100% good information

I was in Bruges in June 2017 on the Oceania Marina. The Destination Services people said that the ship would have a shuttle into Blankeberge, where we could take the train into Bruges. It wasn't there when we got off the ship. We took the port shuttle bus to the gate (very close to the ship) and there were taxis for 50 Euros one way and Cruise Express buses for 20 Euros per person round-trip. We took the bus and were in Bruges very quickly. The drop-off point is on the edge of town. It was a nice walk through a park, not more than 10 minutes from the bus to the beginning of the town. We took the Cruise Express bus back to the ship at 4:30 p.m. It was an excellent deal and easier than waiting for a train in Blankenberge. The only negative was that the last bus back was at 5:00 p.m. If you want to stay longer, then the bus isn't the best option. In the main square in Bruges we found a Free Walking Tour guide. He gave us a fantastic tour. Bruges is very easy to do on your own.

I'm sure there are many good places to get chocolate there, but I can highly recommend The Chocolate Line. Not cheap but fabulous, some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted.

If you like chocolate do yourself a favor and get some while you're there.

I'm sure there are many good places to get chocolate there, but I can highly recommend The Chocolate Line. Not cheap but fabulous, some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted.

If you like chocolate do yourself a favor and get some while you're there.

Totally agree about The Chocolate Line!! Wish I had bought more when we were there in 2010. Also, Dumon has two locations. One is right near The Chocolate Line. It's a good place for an espresso stop with a chocolate.

Another suggestion -- which may be old news to others but wasn't to us.

When we were there on Nautica in July we did a ship's walking tour of Bruges which included a beer tasting at the Beer Museum. I believe the museum is only about two years old.

They were very generous with their pours. I think we had about six different beers in a 6-8 oz size glass. They also included some nibbles. It was most delightful.

We also had a wonderful guide for the walking part.

I don't know how easy it is to do the tasting on your own, but it is a sizeable room and we were the only people there at the time.

https://www.brugesbeermuseum.com/

Mura

Another suggestion -- which may be old news to others but wasn't to us.

When we were there on Nautica in July we did a ship's walking tour of Bruges which included a beer tasting at the Beer Museum. I believe the museum is only about two years old.

They were very generous with their pours. I think we had about six different beers in a 6-8 oz size glass. They also included some nibbles. It was most delightful.

We also had a wonderful guide for the walking part.

I don't know how easy it is to do the tasting on your own, but it is a sizeable room and we were the only people there at the time.

https://www.brugesbeermuseum.com/

Mura

That is great info for beer lovers. Now if they offered a Chocolate Walking Tour, hubby & I would be all over that!

To add to Twiga's earlier message: Marina was docked in Zeebruge and there was a port shuttle from the ship to the gate. Walking to the gates was not permitted.

About 300 yards from the gate was the Cruise Express tent. A round trip can be purchased for 20 euro/person and can be obtained in advance online or at the tent. All buses must park in the bus park and not go into town but the walk is lovely and not difficult.

Much cheaper than the taxi at 50 euro each way and very convenient.

i immediately agree Bruges is a beautiful town , however the port of zeebrugge is one of the most horrible ones from Lisbon to Hamburg.

if you are able to reach the village of zeebrugge , there is only one train to Bruges every hour during weekdays however one every two hours during the weekend ( exception for July and August : one every hour )

at the entrance of the port you can take a local tramway going to the upmarket place Knokke or to the popular Blankenberge , overthere is a Railway station as well, with a train to Bruges every hour.

unfortunately , there is not another port on the Belgian coast able to receive the Oceania ships ( Antwerpen is able however )

smaller ships can enter Ostend providing it is not force 5 or higher

a few weeks ago the rather small Silver Wind could not enter Zeebrugge caused by a storm ...

taxis from Blankenberge cannot pick up people at the places where cruiseships dock , I was told - only the taxis from Bruges and zeebrugge.

A round trip can be purchased for 20 euro/person and can be obtained in advance online or at the tent. All buses must park in the bus park and not go into town but the walk is lovely and not difficult.

Much cheaper than the taxi at 50 euro each way and very convenient.

To be accurate, the "taxi" is an 8 person van and does cost 50 Euros each way. But that's split between 8 people, so it's 6.25 Euros per person each way (12.5 per person round trip). And the taxi takes you right into the heart of the town. Much cheaper and more convenient than some bus.