Serenade of the Seas

mdmf52

I’m just searching for a few answers as this is our 1st cruise on RCCL, we love Princess and have also tried Norwegian & Celebrity. I understand that Serenade is an older Radiance class ship and taking that into consideration we really don’t have over the top expectations as one may have with one of the newest ultramodern ships.

Are there expectations that should be easily met or as one person put it at dinner, it is what it is, I would like to pre thank anyone that has recently been on the ship for any insight and tips, once again thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a good start to general info on Serenade: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/royal-caribbean/serenade

This thread has scans of the daily schedule to give you an idea of activities:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52313305&postcount=3

I also wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

We have cruised on Serenade five times and will be on her again in a few months. We have found her to be well maintained with an outstanding crew. We have found the food (which, of course is subjective) to be good to very good, and the Chef's Table experience excellent.

We particularly like the Radiance class ships, of which Serenade is a part, for the great views of the ocean. Lots of glass to see to the outside. The Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships don't really give the feel of being on a ship, but rather in a "mall" atmosphere.

While there are pros and cons for all classes of ships, for us the Serenade and her sister ships are our preferred class. IMO, you can't go wrong booking her.

I just did the New England/Canada Route in September. Serenade is a bit tired. She is showing her age in places. For instance, the arm rest on the couch in our stateroom was thread bear. The inside of the mirrored storage cabinet in our bathroom had paint chipping off the wall. Just little things like that. Serenade is going into a short dry dock when she finishes the New England/Canada Route, I believe but it is only for about 12 days so it is not going to be a big overhaul. We still had a great time and the crew was great and housekeeping kept her shipshape.

Hi from Vancouver, BC.

In case you were not aware drink package is on sale right now buy one get second half price.

So that works out to $41/Day plus gratuity. 5 basic drinks or 3 1/2 premium per day and it pays for it's self.

Cheers! :beer-toast::champagne-toast::whiskey-glass::wine-glass:

Scott and Debbie

Hi from Vancouver, BC.

In case you were not aware drink package is on sale right now buy one get second half price.

So that works out to $41/Day plus gratuity. 5 basic drinks or 3 1/2 premium per day and it pays for it's self.

Cheers! :beer-toast::champagne-toast::whiskey-glass::wine-glass:

Scott and Debbie

When is your sailing, because I just checked my cruise planner and no sales for our May 2018 date, bums me out because I am buying for 6 people so need a sale desperately.

Serenade update

We are now entering say 3 and there have been some very positive things to share and a few downright negative ones. As I look thru the various threads of topics one thing that stands out is the # of people that almost immediately chastise others for their comments. Personally I wholeheartedly agree with someone who ended up on the dark side of a review because they commented on what they expected for their vacation and the $$ spent and what they received. My wife and I have been enjoying cruise vacations since the mid nineties, almost everyone of them on Princess, a few on Norwegian & Celebrity. The contrasts are glaring for anyone with an eye to detail. On the Serenade, as I write, it’s obvious that the tide has turned from inviting & entertaining guests to almost shuttling people from point A to points B C & D. We were amazed at the constant cleaning, painting and attention to “tired” appearing areas of their ships no matter how new or old. I just find it a incredible that so many areas of this ship are not being tended to, if it’s this obvious when you can see it just what is being neglected behind the scenes. Our balcony stateroom is in fair condition not great, the amount of rust and wear & tear is glaring, I wonder if the suites have also been left to the ravages of the salt air ? The Stateroom attendant is extremely attentive and deserves no harsh words for which she is left to make look good, you can see it in her expressions how frustrated she is. Our anytime dining experience over two nights has been abysmal, I feel the wait staff are overwhelmed and that leads to diners feeling like they are at a low end restaurant. You are strongly encouraged to wear “appropriate “ attire for dinner which if that wasn’t inferred we all understand the the results, so let’s cut corners and not put flowers on a dinner table and not say excuse me as I reach in front of you to hand everyone sitting a menu and not approach people with that smile as fake as it sometimes is as you “forget” to ask everyone if they would like to start with a cocktail. I have no idea who runs training seminars for crew, but the majority of the waitstaff are lifeless. But ! The entertainment shows so far have been a solid excellent, a quartet from Canada last night was absolutely phenomenal, I would venture to say that everyone in that theater would take that show in every night.

With a smirk I sit here in the solarium Pool area in front of the courtesy sign asking guests not to reserve deck chairs and after 30 minutes unattended items will be removed, now now, don’t they understand that Pool lice can’t read or at the very least refuse to consider other vacationers. And you don’t think we have entered the corral of the sea faring shuttle ship! Wow.

Serenade update

We are now entering say 3 and there have been some very positive things to share and a few downright negative ones. As I look thru the various threads of topics one thing that stands out is the # of people that almost immediately chastise others for their comments. Personally I wholeheartedly agree with someone who ended up on the dark side of a review because they commented on what they expected for their vacation and the $$ spent and what they received. My wife and I have been enjoying cruise vacations since the mid nineties, almost everyone of them on Princess, a few on Norwegian & Celebrity. The contrasts are glaring for anyone with an eye to detail. On the Serenade, as I write, it’s obvious that the tide has turned from inviting & entertaining guests to almost shuttling people from point A to points B C & D. We were amazed at the constant cleaning, painting and attention to “tired” appearing areas of their ships no matter how new or old. I just find it a incredible that so many areas of this ship are not being tended to, if it’s this obvious when you can see it just what is being neglected behind the scenes. Our balcony stateroom is in fair condition not great, the amount of rust and wear & tear is glaring, I wonder if the suites have also been left to the ravages of the salt air ? The Stateroom attendant is extremely attentive and deserves no harsh words for which she is left to make look good, you can see it in her expressions how frustrated she is. Our anytime dining experience over two nights has been abysmal, I feel the wait staff are overwhelmed and that leads to diners feeling like they are at a low end restaurant. You are strongly encouraged to wear “appropriate “ attire for dinner which if that wasn’t inferred we all understand the the results, so let’s cut corners and not put flowers on a dinner table and not say excuse me as I reach in front of you to hand everyone sitting a menu and not approach people with that smile as fake as it sometimes is as you “forget” to ask everyone if they would like to start with a cocktail. I have no idea who runs training seminars for crew, but the majority of the waitstaff are lifeless. But ! The entertainment shows so far have been a solid excellent, a quartet from Canada last night was absolutely phenomenal, I would venture to say that everyone in that theater would take that show in every night.

With a smirk I sit here in the solarium Pool area in front of the courtesy sign asking guests not to reserve deck chairs and after 30 minutes unattended items will be removed, now now, don’t they understand that Pool lice can’t read or at the very least refuse to consider other vacationers. And you don’t think we have entered the corral of the sea faring shuttle ship! Wow.

I normally do B2B2B2B on this ship every yr starting with this Repo cruise, but didn't this yr due to Dry Dock B4 next sailing. Skipped this Repo sailing but will be on her next month. Even though doing Dry Dock is only 12 day mostly doing Marine Side maintenance. Unfortunately for you on ship now same every yr Serenade gets back to Florida last several yrs that's when they do all the paint touch up an and sand/stain all wood trim. Think they wait until get back to warmer weather after season of northern Europe and Canadian cruises. So ship will look little better in few weeks.