Advice for flights to Europe

hrt4girls

We are flying from ATL to BCN in June for a cruise. I have never been on a flight that long before and have never flown during the night when I need to sleep. I plan to get 5-6 hours of sleep on the plane (fingers crossed) so that when we arrive in Barcelona at 8:30 am I will be ready to stay awake all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to put in my carry on to make this flight easier? Do people brush teeth, wash their face and change clothes when they wake up after sleeping? Is there really room in the restroom to change clothes?

Do I need to bring along a light blanket? I already purchased an inflatable neck pillow that I plan to bring along. One of my friends suggested that I get a pair of noise blocking headphones and someone else told me to get a pair of elasticized socks.

Are these things helpful or necessary? I know it is different for everyone, but any advice would be appreciated.

I am assuming you are in coach. No way around it, this just isn't a fun trip. The airline will provide you with a blanket but I bring my own. They aren't washed that frequently and I think they are gross.

If I am in coach I bring my own travel blanket and pillow, iPad, noise cancelling headphones, ear plugs, eye mask (the person next to you is always the one who wants to leave their light on all night), pair of warm socks, chapstick, hand sanitizer, kindle and small light. Wear comfortable clothes, forget about fashion. A t shirt and hoodie and yoga pants are good. I don't see any need for special socks for most people. For one trip, unless you are going to use them a lot, I probably wouldn't purchase expensive headphones.

I don't use sleeping pills, but you may want to take something like a Tylenol P.M. if you think it will help you sleep.

The bathrooms are small. I rarely see anyone changing clothes. I don't know if they are brushing their teeth. I usually wait until I get where I'm going as I don't like to spend a lot of time in the bathroom; there's usually a big crowd in the morning as people wake up.

I don't believe, even in business, that I've ever gotten five hours of sleep on a plane, but I guess it could happen. Get a good night's sleep the night before you leave and try and get some exercise that day. On arrival, I resist the urge to nap and just shower and change and try to get out in the sunshine.

Have a great trip, Barcelona is a fabulous city.

Edited by 6rugrats

I wear loose fitting clothes. I bring a pair of slippers and take my shoes off once in my seat. I bring my own bottle of water,purchased in airport once I get thru security, magazines, two books. I end up wathcing the movie or playing triva game on the small screen on the seat in front of you. Also you will get cheap headphones for listening to music channels.

You will get dinner, with wine, plus a late snack ,and breakfast.

I get up about every hour and half and walk around or stand by bathrooms. I do stretching exercise in place. I try to sleep, sometimes I do for about a hour or two at a time.

I bring a tooth brush, toothpaste, for the morning.

Once I get to Europe, I get to hotel, wash up , shower and then go out and walk eat an early dinner and get to bed early. Ready for the next day.

Glad that travel day is behind me.:)

It is the coming home that is worse, that is when I have jet lag, not the flight to Europe.

Edited by Azulann

We've done this flight, and several others across the pond.

Once airborn the flight attendants will serve beverages and dinner so the cabin will not be dark the entire flight. A pittance of a breakfast will also be served. In other words, there will be time for a loooong nap but not a full night's sleep.

Some use everything in their carry ons to make it a more pleasant experience. Comfortable clothing and shoes are important.

There are many light weight blankets that are marketed specifically for air travel. You can buy something from Magellan's or go to your local fabric shop and buy some fleece for far less. If you have an exit row seat this would make those chilly window seats far more comfortable. The exit row seats on Delta are not as comfortable as regular row seating. The seat bottoms are constructed differently and the arm rests are not adjustable and have the tray table in the arm rest so the seats are narrower. These seats can be available to non medallion passengers that is why I am even mentioning it.

I have always managed to brush my teeth onboard. I always have a small travel toothbrush and a -3 oz. tube of toothpaste in my carry on. I know how you feel after a long flight but wait until you get to the ship or a hotel to change clothes. If you are going directly to the ship you can use the gym to shower if your cabin is not ready.

I also carry a change of clothes in my carry on.

Many swear by Ambien. I've never tried it.

If you are staying in a hotel in Barcelona you will probably arrive there by 10 or so. Your rooms may be ready, but if not, let the staff hold your luggage and take care of your personal needs then head out for a little sightseeing. The hop-on-hop-off busses have three different paths and if you start to fade just get off and wander, have a coffee, and perk up and hop back on the bus and back to your hotel. Many of the tourist hotels are either on one of the three routes or within easy walking distance. Do try to stay awake as long as possible. Barcelona is even livlier at night, and just as beautiful so enjoy.

I bring a pair of slippers and take my shoes off once in my seat.

Depending on your perspective on safety, you might want to consider keeping your shoes on until after takeoff. Just in case there is some kind of issue on takeoff, you may need to walk (run) across ground that may not be "friendly" to bare/stocking feet. And no time to put them on.

Yes, it may be a bit paranoid, but I can wait those extra minutes to take off the shoes. And be sure that you have shoes that can be adjusted, as your feet will swell some after many hours airborne and you don't want to have to struggle to get back into your shoes before landing. It's why just about every business/first amenity kit has a shoehorn included.

With all the above, yes, dress for comfort. It isn't that practical to change in the lavs on the aircraft .... plus the floor will probably be pretty gross, not something you want to drag your nice jammies and socks in. And you don't want to risk having to deplane still in your jammies if it's bumpy and you can't leave your seat for the last part of the flight.

But do all that makes you feel human again after the long night... washing your face, lotions for the dry air. Brushing teeth seems to be a good restoring function but there are mixed stories on how safe the tap water may be. So here's an important tip: bring an empty drinking water bottle with you to the airport in your carry-on, which you can fill at a fountain in the terminal after you get through security (a full bottle won't get through). Take that bottle to the lav for tooth brushing, Rx and whatever, so you don't have to drink the tap water. You'll be offered cups of drinking water at your seat, which you should maximize (stay hydrated!), saving your bottle for the Loo.

The shoe advice above is spot-on.

I envy those people who seem able to fall fast asleep on long flights. I'm lucky if I get an hour of fitful dozing. Good earplugs help, but not much. Bad luck if you are near the galley :mad:

I always bring a damp wash cloth in a ziplock bag. Ask the attendant to nuke it a bite and wash my face. Also do this on hot days on an excursion. Cold wash cloth with ice in bag. That way we can freshen up a bit on a hot day out. REALLY came in handy in Egypt. Dust all over the place!

Comfy clothes with an elastic waist. Eye mask, ear plugs, neck pillow.

Wine with dinner;). I don't watch movie or try to read after eating, it would just use up precious minutes of possible sleep time. As soon as food trays are gone I take a melatonin (3 mg) and put in ear plugs and put on mask.

And, I agree with previous post. I would never remove my shoes until safely at cruising altitude, just in case.

Edited by monicajay

Do people brush teeth, wash their face and change clothes when they wake up after sleeping? Is there really room in the restroom to change clothes?....

You have gotten some great advice from the other posters. I second the suggestion that you do not plan to change clothes in the lavatory. By the end of the flight, the lavatory floors will likely be wet. I would not enter without wearing shoes, let alone change clothes. I like to brush my teeth in the lavatory, but I do not wait too long to do this. The lavatories will get popular after breakfast has been served and cleared, so plan your morning ablutions prior to this.

Anytime I travel any distance I bring facial wipes-like Pond's/Neutrogena/Oil of Olay, something like that. Ugh, I don't know what it is but my skin feels nasty after being cooped up even for several hours. So since those are already premoistened they work really well and you can use them on your hands too.

On your flight they will probably serve a light breakfast a few hours before arrival. By the time breakfast is done there will be long lines at the lavs. Inevitably some people don't get to use them before they have to sit down for the landing. If you can take care of some or all your "freshening up" before breakfast it will be a lot easier and faster. Also, when I know there's a line for the lavs I try to make it as quick as possible. After breakfast when the long lines form, spending 5-10 minutes to change clothes and freshen up isn't a good idea.

FYI, agree on the footwear....the travel editor of a newspaper was departing ORD for HNL in the winter. The takeoff was aborted and everyone had to use the slides. She had to run through mud and stand in freezing weather for about 20 minutes. Some people were in stocking feet or were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Her lesson learned was to dress for "outside" until the plane has departed or arrived uneventfully.

Edited by kenish

Thanks for the info about waiting until we are up and cruising before getting into my slippers.:cool:

My travel shoes are my walking Privos or Merrills , I use all over the world. Replace them about every three years. Easy to get back into them.

Great advice from everyone. I fly across regularly too. I'd like to add a couple of things:

If you are going to check in a luggage, make sure to also have your essentials in your carry-on: toiletry, clothes for a 2-3 days, etc. Just in case your luggage doesn't make it to BCN, that way you are set with the bare minimum for a few days if you have to.

Another important thing is sleep management and jetlag, since you have never been there it is important. Unfortunately going across eastbound is the most fatiguing. Here's the technique I use every time I go, which is the same most flight crews follow as well for fatigue management:

As soon as you arrive to your hotel, take a nap no more than 4 hours. Then go outside and take as much sun as possible (the body's internal clock adjusts with sun light). Have some dinner, and go back to sleep at a normal around 10pm. You will wake early morning, and shouldn't feel too tired. Then follow a normal sleep schedule.

If you take too long of a nap, you will not sleep at night and never adapt. If you skip the nap, you could wake up at some odd times and not be able to go back to sleep.

Have fun! :D

After many years of long flights to/from Oz I am convinced that bad jet lag is mostly caused by dehydration. Drink LOTS of water before/during/after your flight. Also, try to slip into your destination time zone as quickly as possible - tough out tiredness with a brisk walk, and don't think about what time it is "back home".

ALWAYS wear shoes (not socks) when visiting the WC on the plane, especially after breakfast :eek:

I have to add my two cents and disagree with those that say the restrooms are too small to change in. I am 6'-7" and over 399 lbs and always change as soon as the seatbelt light goes out. Is it as spacious as i would like, but it is definately do-able. Usually wear cargo pants and a polo shirt for travel and change into a pair of lt weight lounge pants and a tshirt. This is so much more comfortable to try to sleep in and changing back into street clothes that are cool and not ...hmmm....sleep crusted...:D makes me feel so much better in the morning. I always try to get up before most folks and brush my teeth, wash my face and put my clothes back on before those morning lines start forming. As far as the dirty restroom floor goes, I take a clean pair of socks and sit on the "throne" (cover down) and put them on. I understand folks concern with germs but I suspect if we knew about the germs on the seats, tray tables, armrests we would all want to travel in full body bio suits!:D

If you want to freshen your mouth in the morning, buy a packet of Colgate Wisps (available in drugstore, WalMart, & Target travel and teeth aisles). It is a little pad with some mouthwash on it and a pick at one end. You could ask for water with breakfast and use it in your seat if the by then disgusting bathrooms are busy. It is not like a full brushing but is not bad either. Otherwise get the little toothpaste and brush travel kit. To freshen your face buy a packet of any brand of moistened towelets, you can use them on the trip.

Even from Atlanta, do not count on even 5 hours of sleep unless you eat before you board and them not to bother you until landing. Between dinner service which usually does not start for at least an hour and the wake-up an hour or so before landing, it is like someone said above, time for a long nap only. Also, good advice about keeping shoes on until after take-off but remember not to ever go to the bathroom in sock feet. I am trying some Dr Scholl fold-up flats for my trip to Europe next month because of bathrooms (floors can get bad even in business class!).

Lastly, we belong to the stay up on arrival day people with early dinner and bed but many swear by the nap method. There is plenty to see or just walk about in Barcelona and all the hotels will take good care of your luggage.

Many posters have already hit the high points. It will be very hard to get anywhere near five hours sleep. If you are lucky enough to sleep at all (manage about two hours), just try to relax.

Don't drink too much alcohol and drink plenty of water.

Buy one of those horseshoe shaped neck pillows that wraps around your neck. Also, take earplugs.

I never use blankets, but they always seem clean on Delta.

After you arrive in Barcelona, don't plan an ambitious day, but try to stay up until bedtime (although you can go to bed earlier).

Some airlines offer you travel slippers. Take advantage of them if you go to the bathroom.

Thanks for all the great advice. I love the way these message boards let us share our knowledge and experience. Even the rookies can be as confident as seasoned passengers. I hate going anywhere unprepared and now I feel ready to pack my carry-on and go!

Thanks again to all who responded.:)

Along with all the previous advice I would add that a pair of support hose is important. They will help keep the swelling down in your feet and legs, and will go a long way in preventing blood clots in the legs due to inactivity. I put mine on after arrival at the airport before boarding. I find they are a great help especially on overseas flights.

There's a range of opinion on the cleanliness of the lavs towards the end of a flight. Some of it depends on the nationality of the airline. For example, crews on US carriers ignore the condition of the lavs and if they get really disgusting they simply mark it "out of order". On most Asian airlines, the FA's inspect and tidy up the lavs almost hourly and they're almost always spotless.

There's a range of opinion on the cleanliness of the lavs towards the end of a flight. Some of it depends on the nationality of the airline. For example, crews on US carriers ignore the condition of the lavs and if they get really disgusting they simply mark it "out of order". On most Asian airlines, the FA's inspect and tidy up the lavs almost hourly and they're almost always spotless.

I usually fly Air Canada and they are somewhere in-between. They don't clean and restock the lavs every hour; however on long-haul flights they usually take a pass at cleaning up a bit and restocking the supplies in the Lavs.

On the European Carriers and Air Canada, usually there is an open bar. The US carriers are not as liberal with their bar service. I try to go light on the alcohol and coffee as it tends to dehydrate.

Different people respond differently. I usually try to get up early the day I leave, that way you are tired when you get on and have a chance of sleeping (or cat-napping as the case may be). I tried not to take a nape as soon as I arrive but try to get into adjust to the local time zone.

Some airports have arrival lounges with showers. If you are making a transferring in Europe with a long wait you may want to check the airport web site. There is usually fee with these.

You should think about what type of schedule you want to keep while in Europe. If you are on a cruise ship with lots of late night entertainment that you want to take in, you may want to try and adjust to a schedule where you sleep in and stay up late. I would try to immediately jump into the sleep pattern you want to be have.

We are flying from ATL to BCN

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to put in my carry on to make this flight easier?

I assume you're flying coach since you didn't say otherwise. Delta provides a light blanket and a small pillow to coach pax, but I prefer my own neck pillow and my own slightly heavier fleece blanket; theirs are tissue-paper thin.

I bring eye shades, and noise reducing headphones and listen to the white noise app on my iphone through them. I also take an ambien or unisom. I bring a bottle of water on the plane, so if I get thirsty mid-flight I don't have to wait on a flight attendant to bring me something, and I keep chapstick with me as well. I dress in comfortable layers in case the plane is hotter or cooler than I like. I bring a pair of heavy socks to wear during the flight, but still wear slip-on shoes that I can put back on quickly when using the lavatory. I flew to Europe last week and I did brush my teeth and wash my face (Olay facial wipe) in the lav before most people woke up and the lines got long, then reapplied a little make up after I got back to my seat. I've changed clothes in the lav several times and while it's tight in there, it's do-able, but I usually only bother to change onboard if, for example, I'm flying in the winter and arriving somewhere hot and sunny- I'll change from jeans to shorts just before arrival. If there won't be a huge temp change in my departure and arrival locations, I don't bother.