Dining reservations and recent menus

Isklaar

Specifically the O class ships.

It's been a year since my last Seabourn cruise. This is unusual for me and as it's been a long time I'm expecting some changes. Can anyone advise me what is happening currently with evening dining?

On Quest last year the situation was this : MDR offered TK dishes on alternate evenings in addition to the regular menus. Colonnade did the TK 'family style' dining every third night. Reservations were not required for the Colonnade.

Questions - does any have any recent menus from MDR? I saw one and it seems that the menus have changed a bit since my last cruise and I liked the choices better on the new one I saw, would like to see more!

What's the situation regarding making reservations in the evening for Colonnade?

Anything else I need to know that may be different from a year ago?

Edited by Isklaar

We were on the Quest in March and they were requesting bookings in the Colonade but I do not think it is compulsory. We usually decide in the morning where to eat dinner and then if going to the colonade would book a table for the evening, it is handy if you want to eat outside.

The annoying thing was one couple would arrive for lunch at the minute it opened put something down on one of the outside restaurant tables in the shade and then go away until and hour or so later. This could not happen if they booked the table.:eek:

We were on the Quest in March and they were requesting bookings in the Colonade but I do not think it is compulsory. We usually decide in the morning where to eat dinner and then if going to the colonade would book a table for the evening, it is handy if you want to eat outside.

Thanks. They were trialling compulsory evening bookings in the Colonnade on one of my cruises but that was some time ago, I think it was on Odyssey. Anyway, hopefully they're going with 'requesting' now rather than 'insisting' !

The annoying thing was one couple would arrive for lunch at the minute it opened put something down on one of the outside restaurant tables in the shade and then go away until and hour or so later. This could not happen if they booked the table.:eek:

That would indeed be annoying! Like the couple on a full Odyssey cruise a couple of years ago at Christmas who would 'reserve' a total of six sun loungers on the pool deck. Every day. They liked to move from sun to shade. Crew did nothing about it despite complaints from several other guests.

Thanks for posting these, they bring back a few happy memories and also quicken a sense of anticipation. We last sailed Nov/Dec 2016 on the Ody, and I concur with Isklaar, these look t rather more interesting and varied than last year (which seemed over-reliant on beef and scallops).

Not sailing again till next April, was already in can't wait mode, now even more so!

We were on the Quest in April and Colonnade suggested reservations for dinner, but they were usually unnecessary as it was not very popular at the time, especially when they did the one-choice TK dinners. MDR dinners generally had qod TK insert options though might be out if you dine late.

I suggest trying the TK Grill early in the cruise, (reservations definitely needed) to see if you on balance like the existing offerings and style (big portions and loud pounding music were the theme when we were there, though very good steak, compared with more sedate though buzzing smaller portion and more cosmopolitan MDR). Then you can look into going back if you liked it and there are openings. I always studied the menu in the suite in advance to decide and would be ready to order unless there was a TK insert, to move things along.

DH and I enjoyed the MDR dinners and atmosphere best, and thought the TK MDR offerings had improved a lot since 2016 and at times were outstanding.

Catlover54, It is interesting that you mention the loud pounding music in the Thomas Keller Grill. We heard it and didn't like it. In fact, we mentioned it to our waiter and he told us that Thomas Keller specifically chose the music and volume for the TK Grill. He also told us that many passengers do not like it at all--and that he would turn it down since we mentioned not liking it either. He turned music down to a much lower volume and we proceeded to enjoy our dinner. This was aboard the Encore.

Greetings Stams

We are Sojourning Bali to Hong Kong, via Darwin, Spice Islands & Philipines. Attracted by the unusual itinerary - uncharted waters for us - and lots of sea days, as we have a penchant for bobbing about in Equatorial regions.

Both excited and trepidatious, as the area appears to be rife with pirates. Perhaps this is why roll call is less than buzzing....

Would write more but nursing a trapped nerve in shoulder, so keyboard a bit difficult at the mo'.

I seem to be following the usual pattern of spending more time here and posting more frequently as embarkation draws nearer - c.138 days and counting.

Trust you are both keeping hale and hearty.

Flamin_June, Oh my, I've been reading about pirate attacks on cruise ships online (not very many of them.) But friends that we met on our last cruise regaled us with tales of a cruise they took soon after the attack on a cruise ship. They said that they were told that there were several "commando" type people onboard well trained to fight/deter pirates. Also, very large metal plates were put over windows of staterooms at the bow of the ship every night. In addition, they were instructed to draw all drapes at nightfall and to keep all lights to a minimum. I will be interested to hear of your experience. Have a great time on your cruise!