Airport to port - affixing baggage tags?

Vacationdreamer<><

The last time I cruised Princess I came in a day early and stayed in a local hotel. At that time I used the stapler at the hotel desk to affix my fabulous baggage tags.

This time I am flying in the morning of my cruise (with all risks understood). I have my fabulous baggage tags printed and reinforced with packaging tape. How do you recommend I plan to affix them to my luggage. Should I pack a mini-stapler? Do the porters have staplers? Should I stop at a customer service desk in the airport? I'm game for suggestions! :)

Thank you!!!

We have now purchased reusable pouches for the baggage tags on Amazon. But prior to that... we reinforced them with clear packing tape as you did. We would then take another piece of packing tape, fold the edges down on each end and then place the tape onto the already covered baggage tag. Once we were ready to place on bags, grabbing ahold of one of the edges that was folded back... it was easy to separate the extra tape from the baggage tag. We then used the extra tape to affix tag to bag. Never had a problem in many cruises and eliminated the need to bring stapler or find someone to staple on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can ask the cruise terminal porter for assistance. You can also pack your mini-stapler. At the airport Baggage Claim area, you can also look for the Princess Rep handling airport transfers. They have extra luggage tags.

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I’ll try this for plan A.

We have now purchased reusable pouches for the baggage tags on Amazon. But prior to that... we reinforced them with clear packing tape as you did. We would then take another piece of packing tape, fold the edges down on each end and then place the tape onto the already covered baggage tag. Once we were ready to place on bags, grabbing ahold of one of the edges that was folded back... it was easy to separate the extra tape from the baggage tag. We then used the extra tape to affix tag to bag. Never had a problem in many cruises and eliminated the need to bring stapler or find someone to staple on.

I prepare my tags ar home with reinforcing tape and then use a hole punch at each end. I pack the tags along with small heavy duty zip ties in my carryon. Upon leaving the airport I dispose of the airline tags and affix the cruises tags with the zip ties. Once on the ship I find it easier to cut the tag rather than the zip ties.

I prepare my tags ar home with reinforcing tape and then use a hole punch at each end. I pack the tags along with small heavy duty zip ties in my carryon. Upon leaving the airport I dispose of the airline tags and affix the cruises tags with the zip ties. Once on the ship I find it easier to cut the tag rather than the zip ties.

lol I posted before I read this

Attaching the tags is really a no brainer

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I put the tags in the clear vinyl tag holders I bought and attach them to my luggage before I ever leave home.

Once my luggage did not arrive on the same plane as we were on. We had the Princess transfer from the airport to the ship and the Princess representative told us to go ahead to the ship and they would get my bag when it arrived and get it to the ship. Having the tag on the bag helped the Princess people at the airport retrieve the bag and get it to the ship just before we sailed.

We have attached the tags at home for dozens of cruises and have never lost one yet. We even do it if we fly to the port a day early.

The last time I cruised Princess I came in a day early and stayed in a local hotel. At that time I used the stapler at the hotel desk to affix my fabulous baggage tags.

This time I am flying in the morning of my cruise (with all risks understood). I have my fabulous baggage tags printed and reinforced with packaging tape. How do you recommend I plan to affix them to my luggage. Should I pack a mini-stapler? Do the porters have staplers? Should I stop at a customer service desk in the airport? I'm game for suggestions! :)

Thank you!!!

Use a hole punch at home. Bring zip ties and attach the tags to your luggage after you land.

In the future' date=' I recommend something like this ...

[img']https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41dwDQ2jWUL.jpg[/img]

s-l1600.jpg

I've actually attached unreinforced luggage tags on my baggage before a flight to see if they'd survive and they did. No problem at all... ;)

We always attached them at home never had a problem.

Tony

It is never a good idea to have more than one tag on your luggage. Even when you only have one luggage can go to a different location than you. I've had that happen twice (fortunately both times on the way home). I went to Los Angeles, my luggage went to Hawaii. I went to Los Angeles, my luggage went to New York.

Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean that what you are doing may increase the chance of something going wrong in the future.

From experience, if you are flying in the day of the cruise put your Ship's luggage tags on before you leave home. Our luggage did not fly the same flight we were on and we simply told the ship greeter about it. We told them that the ships luggage tags were on our suitcases and left them the airlines luggage tags just in case there was a problem. They sent us to the ship and indicated they would retrieve our luggage and have it brought to the ship. Our luggage arrived safe and sound. I am sure looking for the ships luggage tags was significantly easier than looking for a couple of black suitcases.

Attached the ship tags one time before our flight even though we flew in a day early. One bag, the one with most of my clothes in it, disappeared before we got to baggage claim. Follow up with the airline resulted in nothing other than them telling me it "probably" went straight to the cruise line. Fortunately for me, that was the case. It showed up at our cabin, but it made for many nervous hours.

Like others have posted, we had some anxious moments when our luggage did not arrive on the airport’s carousel when we flew non-stop to Vancouver on sailing day.

We rarely fly on sailing day & decided to attach our cruise tags with reusable tag holders in case they were misdirected by the airline to make it easier to catch up with us on our Alaskan cruise. We used the rail line to the ship & the Princess rep said that despite not paying for a Princess transfer our bags probably went directly to the ship but had no way to confirm it. Hours after boarding one bag arrived at our cabin shortly before sailing with a note to go to the naughty room to claim our other bag. We had a bottle of wine in both bags & had to unlock the held bag to show it was only wine & not spirits.

Just another example about how placing cruise tags on before a flight can be affected.

For a recent flight to Europe arriving 3 days early we used the PDF document the luggage tag company provided to be inserted in their holder. On the outside is a notification in red to open it if misdirected & inside I added our itinerary to hopefully be reconnected if our luggage got lost.

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I’ll try this for plan A.

I think that is a good decision. Before we purchased our reusable luggage tag holders we used to pack a very small Tot stapler but the luggage tag holders are an easy option.

This is what we have been using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVFA00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I like the stainless steels ties and have ordered extra and used them on my ID luggage tags. I place them on our luggage before we leave the house. When the ship leave after 6pm we fly down the same day and have never missed our luggage at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what we have been using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVFA00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I like the stainless steels ties and have ordered extra and used them on my ID luggage tags. I place them on our luggage before we leave the house. When the ship leave after 6pm we fly down the same day and have never missed our luggage at the airport.

Bought these.

Used them.

Loved ‘em.

Thank you!!!

We use the vinyl tag holders mentioned above but with the vinyl loop ties shown in an earlier post. We used to use the steel ties but one must have gotten caught on something in the baggage handling equipment as it tore the luggage handle loose from the luggage. We lost the baggage tag and the suitcase handle was destroyed. Hopefully the vinyl loop ties will break before the suitcase handle.