Norwegian Bliss

shof515

Wondering just how designed for Alaska it will be - will it have a solarium/indoor pool type thing that the current BA/BA+ ships don't? hmmm

I'm a recent NCL convert and I booked my first Alaska cruise next year on Celebrity. Wondering if I should hold off a year. I would like to wait for more details on the ship, but I'm going to Alaska for Alaska, not the ship. So I guess that settles it LOL

Very happy to see this news since we really enjoyed Epic and Getaway and to have a brand new ship with wonderful entertainment less than a four hour drive from our house is more than I hoped for. They using the Bliss name and she'll have Wyland hull art :)

We've done Alaska cruises on the Pearl, the Sun and the Jewel and loved all of them. The Bliss itinerary is not as exciting as something like the special Jewel 10 day itinerary that included Sitka and Icy Strait Point, Glacier Bay and full inside passage. However, all of the Alaska ports have beautiful scenery and something to do and now we'll have a ship with entertainment and dining options we didn't have before.

The Alaska routes normally run thru the end of September. So how will the ship be used during the winter months? Could it return to the Caribbean? Or could NCL get gutsy and copy Celebrity. Celebrity moves the Solstice between Alaska and Australia. Could the bliss reposition to down under for the winter months and the return to Alaska in the Spring? I can't see Bliss staying on the west coast to do Mexico but then you never know.

Now this initial Panama Canal transit has my credit card vibrating......wonder if it will be Miami to Acapulco or Los Angeles? More info please.

Wondering just how designed for Alaska it will be - will it have a solarium/indoor pool type thing that the current BA/BA+ ships don't? hmmm

I'm a recent NCL convert and I booked my first Alaska cruise next year on Celebrity. Wondering if I should hold off a year. I would like to wait for more details on the ship, but I'm going to Alaska for Alaska, not the ship. So I guess that settles it LOL

The Celebrity Millennium has a Solarium with a salt water pool, hot tubs and it is adult only. That puts it in my "Top 4 Ships of the Cruise Industry."

Finally, a big ship for the West Coast! :D It seems certain that they will be keeping the forward observation lounge of Joy, but obviously it would have to be available to everyone, not just Haven pax. And yes, hopefully studios and a glass-enclosed pool will replace the Concierge-Class area and the tai chi areas respectively.

It's nice to know I can make a good guess once in a while:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51064060&postcount=7

But, the inboard lifeboat arrangement, the forward observation lounge, and the indoor cyber-activity area seem like the kind of features that might be desirable on a ship intended to do a lot of service in Alaska and other cold-weather ports. Add in a glass-covered pool in lieu of the "serenity" deck, and of course add back all the expected Escape I features like the Studios, and I would think Escape III would be a popular and desirable ship.

The Alaska routes normally run thru the end of September. So how will the ship be used during the winter months? Could it return to the Caribbean? Or could NCL get gutsy and copy Celebrity. Celebrity moves the Solstice between Alaska and Australia. Could the bliss reposition to down under for the winter months and the return to Alaska in the Spring? I can't see Bliss staying on the west coast to do Mexico but then you never know.

Now this initial Panama Canal transit has my credit card vibrating......wonder if it will be Miami to Acapulco or Los Angeles? More info please.

Bliss to Mexico for part of the year would be AWESOME! I would sail it every year.

With the ship being specifically designed for cold weather, and with lots of indoor spaces, it would seem like a natural fit for northern Europe. But ships sail to northern Europe in summer, the same time Bliss will be in Alaska. So it's an exciting mystery.

South America would be a logical choice, as it's summer there when it's winter here. I like the idea of sending the ship to Australia. Frankly, the glass enclosed pool that is certain to be a feature on the ship [right, NCL?] would be useful anywhere on the Pacific Coast, as we have cold mornings and evenings, even in summer.

I'm super, super excited about this ship. :D

I don't suppose there's any chance it could do the inside passage?

According to a write up i just saw, inside passage is a yes! Cant find it now but did see this....

After a transatlantic cruise and a Panama Canal transit through the new locks, the ship will sail north along the West Coast, reaching Seattle for the start of the summer cruising season. Norwegian Bliss will sail weekly seven-day Alaska cruises each Saturday from Pier 66 in Seattle, offering guests the premier way to see America’s last frontier, while also providing all of the innovative features, entertainment, signature dining and onboard experiences that Norwegian Cruise Line is known for around the globe. The ship’s itinerary will feature calls in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, British Columbia, along with scenic glacier cruising.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lulubelle45

Just off the Pearl and was somewhat dissapointed in the NCL experience this time. Food was blah at best and that ship is tired. So that being said, I decided i wont cruise NCL until i can travel on one of the larger newer ships. Living in BC though, there are not the mega ships on the pacific...till now! Heres hoping they have indoor pools and extra viewing spaces. I am also secretly hoping for go carts as in the Joy. With the Pearl doing many charters, they removed the slide, and on our last cruise, covered one of the pools 2 days before the end to set up the stage

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I decided i wont cruise NCL until i can travel on one of the larger newer ships. Living in BC though, there are not the mega ships on the pacific...till now!

To me, NCL's mega ships are over rated. 5000 people from just one ship seems crazy for Alaska ports. You can try Explorer Of the Seas next summer. Most NCL sailings from Seattle don't do the inside passage.

I am not as happy as you all...

Now even Alaska and Panama Canal become destinations usually visited by mid-sized ships, and Alaska was more about the destination...

Is Alaska now really about trips with plenty of entertainment and extra cost dining venues??

I do not hope Alaska becomes a new destination for oversized ships as the Caribbean is already...

At least let's hope Bliss gets a great outdoors and a Spinnaker Lounge not just for suite members.

And I truly hope to see Pearl and Sun in Alaska as well in 2018...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, for those that are familiar with the Alaska routes, how limited is access based on ship size? Will it be a disadvantage being on a mega ship?

I would guess the ship would be too large for Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier. But it would have no problem with Glacier Bay. Otherwise, I can't really see any other access limitations.

Port loading might be a problem. With 4,000 pax, it'll be like adding another ship. Ketchikan and Juneau routinely host 4 and occasionally 5 ships at a time, each with around 2,500 or so pax.

The docks should be able to accommodate a ship of the that size -- being only around 100 feet longer than the Jewel. It will be challenging to do dock her; just ask the Captain of the Celebrity Infinity.

I have not been on BA/GA or Escape. Are there enough outdoor public areas to accommodate all those people? Watching the scenery go by -- and Glacier Bay viewing -- is a huge part of an Alaska cruise.

I have one NCL CN certificate remaining. If the prices are right, I might take the opportunity to try a new ship on the west coast. Reasonable to conclude that Bliss will do Mex Riv when not in Alaska. Far as I can tell, NCL doesn't yet have a ship there for 2017 and beyond.