UBP Question

Cras108er

NCL currently has a special that offers the choice of UBP, Speciality Dining, internet, or credit toward shore excursions if the cruise is booked by a certain date. On the surface, it sounds like a good deal, but being the skeptic that I am, I have to ask. What's the catch? Is this a common offer, or is this genuinely a one-time good deal?

Edited by Cras108er

NCL currently has a special that provides the choice of UBP, Speciality Dining, internet, or shore excursions if she our. Raise is bioked by a certain date. Is this a common offer, or is this genuinely a one-time good deal?

I booked my cruise under the same "special" last September. It has been going on since then.

NCL currently has a special that provides the choice of UBP, Speciality Dining, internet, or shore excursions if she our. Raise is bioked by a certain date. Is this a common offer, or is this genuinely a one-time good deal?

confused-baby-4.jpg

It's a common promotion.

I booked my first cruise on NCL in 2015 on the same deal. Booked another one in 2016, and another one last weekend. It's an ongoing offer. No catch if you're a drinker, except that you have to pay an 18% service charge on the retail price of the package. That said, they do seem to raise fares a bit to offset the cost of the promo. For us, it still works out cheaper than actually buying the UBP (which we would do).

I booked my first cruise on NCL in 2015 on the same deal. Booked another one in 2016, and another one last weekend. It's an ongoing offer. No catch if you're a drinker, except that you have to pay an 18% service charge on the retail price of the package. That said, they do seem to raise fares a bit to offset the cost of the promo. For us, it still works out cheaper than actually buying the UBP (which we would do).

Hmm. That is what I suspected. So much for "feeling special," if everyone on the ship is getting it too. It makes sense that they would hide the cost somewhere else, as they're not in the business of giving money away. Not saying I won't do it. I just like to go into things with my eyes open. Thanks!

If you choose "guarantee" category for any cabin, then there are no perks included. Guarantee bookings are typically a couple hundred cheaper than same category where you choose your cabin number. So yes, the cost of the cabin is a little bit more. With that said, they have offered "guarantee inside" at the exact same price as the lowest inside cabin, and in that case, it was a super deal! We actually booked a balcony for the exact same price as a "guarantee" balcony and were able to choose 2 perks. Why would anyone book a guarantee, with no perks, instead of choosing your location and receiving 2 perks is beyond me. It is not very often they price them out like that. It does happen.

Regardless, it is still cheaper than paying the $79 per day UBP.

Currently it is the best priced drink package out there at $200 p/p service charge on a 7 day cruise. It is very easy for two people to spend $57 per day on drinks.

How did you get it to work out to $200? Isn't it $79.00 per day plus 18% .... $652.54?

How did you get it to work out to $200? Isn't it $79.00 per day plus 18% .... $652.54?

He is talking about just the service charge. That's about $100 per person for a 7 night cruise or $15 per day.😁

However even if the package price is built into your cruise fare it's still a better deal than RCCL just sayin':halo:

I am not sure why so MANY people complain about the UBP gratuity charge of 99 per person or 198 for the first two taking the package.

Would you rather pay the 79 per day for 7 days plus 18% - $652.54????

UBP package saves you 553 dollars.....

I compared a carnival cruise to bahamas with ncl cruise out of new york going to the Bahamas the same week. If I bought unlimited drink package with carnival the two cruises would cost close to the same, carnival being just a tad more. I have not sailed ncl yet so I can't compare which atmosphere I will enjoy more. I'm going with ncl because it is 4 hours less of a drive.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Forums mobile app

This isn't true. I just booked an inside guarantee on the Jade with the UBP promo.

Maybe they make exceptions for some sailings. I just went on NCL to do a booking for a IX Guarantee Inside for June 4th sailing and this is what is said for Guarantee bookings:

Guarantee Inside

A Guarantee stateroom ensures an Inside stateroom or better! We’ll assign the stateroom number for you closer to the sail date. Please note that your stateroom may be on any deck. Promotional rates and offers are excluded on this stateroom category (IX).

I compared a carnival cruise out of balrimore to bahamas with ncl cruise out of new york going to the Bahamas the same week. If I bought unlimited drink package with carnival the two cruises would cost close to the same, carnival being just a tad more. The ncl price includes 200 surcharge for ubp. I have not sailed ncl yet so I can't compare which atmosphere I will enjoy more. I'm going with ncl because it is 4 hours less of a drive.

Carnival out of baltimore

This isn't true. I just booked an inside guarantee on the Jade with the UBP promo.
It is true for US bookings. Did you book through NCL Miami or NCL Europe?

If you booked through NCL Miami, did you book category IX or some other inside category?

If you choose the three specialty dinner promo but opt to eat at one specialty restaurant on a seven night cruise is the promo really worth it? What say you?
The service charge on the perk is $14.22, so most people would save money after just one meal, but you won't be getting the maximum value out of the perk if you don't use all 3 meals.

Have a look at the other perks and see if you wouldn't get more out of them. It could be worthwhile to choose a different perk and then pay for your one specialty meal yourself.

If you choose the three specialty dinner promo but opt to eat at one specialty restaurant on a seven night cruise is the promo really worth it? What say you?

If you choose the SDP then why would t you go to a specialty 3 nights? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL currently has a special that offers the choice of UBP, Speciality Dining, internet, or credit toward shore excursions if the cruise is booked by a certain date. On the surface, it sounds like a good deal, but being the skeptic that I am, I have to ask. What's the catch? Is this a common offer, or is this genuinely a one-time good deal?

They used to offer prepaid grats as one of the perks. They keep changing the perks and reducing their value.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

If you choose the SDP then why would t you go to a specialty 3 nights? Am I missing something?

Should have been more specific. My two children who are young adults have no interest in the specialty dining at all. One of the specialty dining options DOES appeal to my husband and myself, though. I would like to eat with my kids for the other nights on the cruise. Having "signed up" for the "three meal deal", would I be paying gratuities on three meals instead of just one? If so, I would probably drop that promo all together. Thanks!

Should have been more specific. My two children who are young adults have no interest in the specialty dining at all. One of the specialty dining options DOES appeal to my husband and myself, though. I would like to eat with my kids for the other nights on the cruise. Having "signed up" for the "three meal deal", would I be paying gratuities on three meals instead of just one? If so, I would probably drop that promo all together. Thanks!

Your 18% gratuity (already paid for as part of final payment) is based off of the 3 meal package price.