Pacific Pearl - differing cruise reviews.

bazzaw

Hi Barry, I believe I also saw 'Fat Yak' beer on tap in the Orient when I cruised on Pearl... and there were 2 other boutique style beers on tap too...

On the main topic, I haven't posted around here for some time but am a frequent reader and just had to jump in on this topic because I don't think I have ever seen so many reviews in such a short time that are as far apart on the positive/negative scale! I know previous experience is a definite factor and that people on the same cruise can have completely different experiences, and that everyone has a valid opinion, but the Pearl just seems to polarize everyone into love or hate!

I have to say that after my experience earlier this year I am definitely in the 'LOVE' category, and having experienced pretty much every ship in the P&O fleet I would probably say she is my favourite overall.

She NEVER felt crowded, in fact often I would think 'where is everyone', the public area's look really chic, just love the modern fabrics and furniture P&O have gone with, such a contemporary feel which can easily make you forget your on a 20+ year old ship!

I think the biggest area for me over Dawn & Jewel that really feels nicer is the main pool deck. The deck that spans across the middle and breaks up the 2 pool area's actually enhances the ambience I think and makes for a great dance floor for Island night! I also love the swim-up bar and spent a lot of time there during the hot afternoons after returning from the islands. Also, on the upper deck around this area, the railing is actually GLASS not solid steel like on Dawn and Jewel, which makes the whole area feel 'wider' even though I think the ships are all the same width. It also means you can still enjoy a view of the ocean when lying in a deck chair, a big plus for me!

As for food, I am not really a buffet person, so cannot comment there, but the bacon and egg rolls they cook fresh to order at the deck grill for breakfast were just awesome!! When it comes to the food in the MDR I never had a bad meal, I would say most of my meals there were good to very good with the occasional outstanding dish. Salt Grill is just an unbelievable experience - better than Todd English on QM2 hands down. Went 3 times in 10 days on Pearl and have also been many times on Jewel. The most impressive thing about Salt Grill is the consistency... it is ALWAYS awesome! The service is also so warm, I consider it an absolute must do.

Finally, the entertainment I saw on Pearl was also probably some of the best I have seen on any ship. P&O have certainly come a long way from 'Gday Gday' in the Pacific Sky Showroom!! lol. The indoor and outdoor circus shows are breathtaking! The new LED backdrop in the main theatre is mesmerising - I found myself watching it more than the dancers sometimes! That said though, the dancers were great and the female lead singer belted out a version of Alicia Keys 'New York' that I had to pinch myself and think 'am I seeing this on a cruise ship'? We also had 2 comedians doing the late night sit down comedy club that had the dome packed to standing room only and really brought the house down.

So to all those booked on Pearl, or thinking about it, my humble opinion is she is fabulous and I would sail on her again in an instant! It just so happens my next cruise is on Jewel because Pearl has gone off back to NZ!! :(

oh and PS - Mix bar is just fabulous too if you love great cocktails! AND they have chairs in Mix that are exactly the same as those found in the Veuve Clicquot bar on QM2.. very stylish!

Tadpole

Hi Barry, I believe I also saw 'Fat Yak' beer on tap in the Orient when I cruised on Pearl... and there were 2 other boutique style beers on tap too...

On the main topic, I haven't posted around here for some time but am a frequent reader and just had to jump in on this topic because I don't think I have ever seen so many reviews in such a short time that are as far apart on the positive/negative scale! I know previous experience is a definite factor and that people on the same cruise can have completely different experiences, and that everyone has a valid opinion, but the Pearl just seems to polarize everyone into love or hate!

I have to say that after my experience earlier this year I am definitely in the 'LOVE' category, and having experienced pretty much every ship in the P&O fleet I would probably say she is my favourite overall.

She NEVER felt crowded, in fact often I would think 'where is everyone', the public area's look really chic, just love the modern fabrics and furniture P&O have gone with, such a contemporary feel which can easily make you forget your on a 20+ year old ship!

I think the biggest area for me over Dawn & Jewel that really feels nicer is the main pool deck. The deck that spans across the middle and breaks up the 2 pool area's actually enhances the ambience I think and makes for a great dance floor for Island night! I also love the swim-up bar and spent a lot of time there during the hot afternoons after returning from the islands. Also, on the upper deck around this area, the railing is actually GLASS not solid steel like on Dawn and Jewel, which makes the whole area feel 'wider' even though I think the ships are all the same width. It also means you can still enjoy a view of the ocean when lying in a deck chair, a big plus for me!

As for food, I am not really a buffet person, so cannot comment there, but the bacon and egg rolls they cook fresh to order at the deck grill for breakfast were just awesome!! When it comes to the food in the MDR I never had a bad meal, I would say most of my meals there were good to very good with the occasional outstanding dish. Salt Grill is just an unbelievable experience - better than Todd English on QM2 hands down. Went 3 times in 10 days on Pearl and have also been many times on Jewel. The most impressive thing about Salt Grill is the consistency... it is ALWAYS awesome! The service is also so warm, I consider it an absolute must do.

Finally, the entertainment I saw on Pearl was also probably some of the best I have seen on any ship. P&O have certainly come a long way from 'Gday Gday' in the Pacific Sky Showroom!! lol. The indoor and outdoor circus shows are breathtaking! The new LED backdrop in the main theatre is mesmerising - I found myself watching it more than the dancers sometimes! That said though, the dancers were great and the female lead singer belted out a version of Alicia Keys 'New York' that I had to pinch myself and think 'am I seeing this on a cruise ship'? We also had 2 comedians doing the late night sit down comedy club that had the dome packed to standing room only and really brought the house down.

So to all those booked on Pearl, or thinking about it, my humble opinion is she is fabulous and I would sail on her again in an instant! It just so happens my next cruise is on Jewel because Pearl has gone off back to NZ!! :(

oh and PS - Mix bar is just fabulous too if you love great cocktails! AND they have chairs in Mix that are exactly the same as those found in the Veuve Clicquot bar on QM2.. very stylish!

Tadpole

With QM2 been your prior cruise to Pacific Pearl and you still come back and give it a such a good wrap, I'm actually quite astounded, it must be superb. Also with such an impressive past list of cruises, you would know what to expect of a great cruise.

Good little review there and very comforting for us booked on the Pearl to know that someone who has enjoyed one of the queens still thought the Pearl was good, that's a very positive sign :p

Cruisin-m

Your post highlights some points (regarding Tadpole's past cruising experience) that I failed to pick up on -- good post. Thank you.

Salt Grill is just an unbelievable experience - better than Todd English on QM2 hands down.

Our last cruise was also on QM2 - we also thought that Todd English was "OK" - nothing especially memorable but we still enjoyed it. We thought that we preferred the Gary Rhodes restaurants on Oriana and Arcadia. The cruise/ship itself was indeed memorable - and we are extremely happy that we had the opportunity to experience her, if only for 6 days.

Now I am even more looking forward to our next cruise on Pearl :)

Barry

I have just come off the Pearl and heard people complaining they didn't get free biscuits with their room service which they complained about having to pay for. The quote was something like, " When you pay for a balcony suite you expect to be treated differently" HUH?? :confused:

I have noticed cutbacks from the old Sky days and even last years Sun cruise. There are fewer waiters in the dining rooms and the poor buggers are running like a racehorse all night. The service was still very good though, even though a bit slow at times. It is not the waiters fault and I am writing to P&O accordingly. They have gone 'American' with the entertainment staff. The production shows though were the best I have seen on 7 cruises. They are really awesome. Now, Zoltina-J. mmmmmmmmm. What can I say. She is a really good MC but in the past cruise directors have got involved in deck games etc. Have they changed their job description to, 'You only see the cruise director before and after a show.' The trivias' were fun and there were some tough questions, which I hope I will remember the answers to. The itinerary was great but they really need to get their tender operations sorted out. Still had a great cruise, how could you not.

Now, Zoltina-J. mmmmmmmmm. What can I say. She is a really good MC but in the past cruise directors have got involved in deck games etc. Have they changed their job description to, 'You only see the cruise director before and after a show.'

Cruise Directors have changed...

on some cruises you only see them on the morning TV show, telling you whats going to happen that day, and whats on sale in the shops on board.:eek:

I have just come off the Pearl and heard people complaining they didn't get free biscuits with their room service which they complained about having to pay for. The quote was something like, " When you pay for a balcony suite you expect to be treated differently" HUH?? :confused:

I have noticed cutbacks from the old Sky days and even last years Sun cruise. There are fewer waiters in the dining rooms and the poor buggers are running like a racehorse all night. The service was still very good though, even though a bit slow at times. It is not the waiters fault and I am writing to P&O accordingly. They have gone 'American' with the entertainment staff. The production shows though were the best I have seen on 7 cruises. They are really awesome. Now, Zoltina-J. mmmmmmmmm. What can I say. She is a really good MC but in the past cruise directors have got involved in deck games etc. Have they changed their job description to, 'You only see the cruise director before and after a show.' The trivias' were fun and there were some tough questions, which I hope I will remember the answers to. The itinerary was great but they really need to get their tender operations sorted out. Still had a great cruise, how could you not.

We found that P&O Australian cruise ships are slowly changing to the princess/American way of entertaining staff. it may be the sign of times amd some thing in the wind. Edited by thied

We found that P&O Australian cruise ships are slowly changing to the princess/American way of entertaining staff. it may be the sign of times amd some thing in the wind.

and guess whats in store when Carnival Spirit arrives:rolleyes:

WOW

Broadway and Vegas.....

Fantastic:D:D

and guess whats in store when Carnival Spirit arrives:rolleyes:

WOW

Broadway and Vegas.....

Fantastic:D:D

The service on the Spirit is horrible. We waited an hour to be served one night as the waiters had too many tables. Also The shows were really lazy. On our 5 night cruise they had 3 production shows and two of them were almost exactly the same. Hardly anyone clapped and people were walking out. Also they don't have costume changes like P&O does after almost every song but they do it about once a show. Lastly they don't use props that much. In the first two shows they used about 3 props and all it was, was three chairs. It was really cheap. Plus the music was not the best.

I can tell you P&O service although some may say its bad it is some of the best in the world and their shows are by far the best in the world.

I am not sure what is meant by and "American" way when it comes to entertainment staff- would anybody care to elucidate further. Barry

I could Barry,

but I would either be banned or flamed by the PC brigade...

Shall we just say, some cultures show flesh,

and others are still coming out of the closet.:rolleyes:

I am not sure what is meant by and "American" way when it comes to entertainment staff- would anybody care to elucidate further.

Barry

Okay I will, but first I must go put on my flame proof suit. I guess I am harking back to the Pacific Sky and the good 'ol Kiwi/Aussie entertainment staff, i.e Cruise Director and assistant ones. I do not mean the Production/Show side of things when I say Americanisation. As someone else said, on P&O the shows are the best I have seen anywhere.

There is no sponenatiey(sp) now, everything is scripted, except on the 2nd Liars Club when the immigration announcments come on during this show and the comdedian stood up and did a very un pc version of sign language. This was hilarious.:D:D:D This is what I mean, this sort of thing has gone. Zoltina did not look at all amused when he did this but people were laughing till tears run down their cheeks.

If they have changed the job description of a cruise director they should be called something else instead because our idea of cruise directors includes people like Demo, Dan Styne and the guy on the Sun last year. The guy on the Sun last year was a bit of a twaat but he got people involved, was seen around the decks and actually talked to people. This year the Canadian guy tried to get people to do the scavenger hunt. He asked very droly, couldn't really be bothered. He was a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but it was like he was hoping nobody would do this game, and nobody did. There was an older crowd onboard, I will admit to this but there were a lot who would probably have joined in in the past. It's almost like the cruise companies have gone back to catering for the really old crowd and not the younger people. I am not one of the younger crowd, i.e 20's, 30's or even 40's, but health seminars do not do it for me. I like the good old participation activties P&O used to have.

Interesting, Rockie

Our first experience of a "Cruise Director" was Adam Godar on Pacific Star. Have seen 6 others since - none of them as good as him.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

The guy on the Sun last year was a bit of a twaat but he got people involved, was seen around the decks and actually talked to people.

Was that Paul Hancox? We had him on Pacific Jewel last year, and yest he was a bit of twat.

This year the Canadian guy tried to get people to do the scavenger hunt. He asked very droly, couldn't really be bothered. He was a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but it was like he was hoping nobody would do this game, and nobody did.

Sandy's OK, at least he does more than just host the shows and do the TV show. We had him on the cruise from Brisbane to Perth on Pacific Sun in 2009 and he did lots, including ensuring a smooth disembarkation in Melbourne, where dismebarking from one door through the airport style airbridge into the terminal was a slow procedure. And he does a great Q&A session with his Captain's.

Our first experience of a "Cruise Director" was Adam Godar on Pacific Star. Have seen 6 others since - none of them as good as him.

Barry

Adam's one of our favourites, we had him on a 7night Island cruise on Pacific Star, and I still haven't recovered from the sight of him a pink tutu!

I think the guys name on the Sun was Dave somebody. Think we had Adam on one of the cruises but can't remember which one, I will have to dig out my dailys. I don't think I would do another cruise with Zoltina-J.

The great thing I liked about the Pearl was lots and lots of seating. On the Sun you had to wait till somebody stood up and then raced for the chair. The Pearl has so many sitting to read areas it was great. I also love the old fashioned open promenade deck like the Sky had.

Sorry to keep harping back to the Sky but some of you here understand what I mean. AND, there were lots of people on the Pearl with the Sky lanyards and I had a lot of conversations with people who said the Sky was still their favourite.:D

We went on Pearl in March, and I think I'd been on board for about half a minute before I made the first comment of how nice she was because she was a lot like Sky. They are closeley related of course, Pearl was the 'next model', designed and built by the same people.

Friends were on the Pearl recently and liked Zoltina-J, but we don't like her, for much the same reasons as you mentioned.

Sorry to keep harping back to the Sky but some of you here understand what I mean. AND, there were lots of people on the Pearl with the Sky lanyards and I had a lot of conversations with people who said the Sky was still their favourite.:D

Harp back to Sky as often as you like! She was a lovely ship! I did my first cruise on her in 2004.

I think the guys name on the Sun was Dave somebody. Think we had Adam on one of the cruises but can't remember which one, I will have to dig out my dailys. I don't think I would do another cruise with Zoltina-J.

The great thing I liked about the Pearl was lots and lots of seating. On the Sun you had to wait till somebody stood up and then raced for the chair. The Pearl has so many sitting to read areas it was great. I also love the old fashioned open promenade deck like the Sky had.

That would probably have been David Pepper. He was OK. We were on the first cruise he did with P&O Aust. after he came over from Cunard.

Yes, Pearl was great for getting seats... We didn't once have to wait for a table in the Buffet, or in the showlounge or any of the bars.

• 3 years later...
? :confused:

, Zoltina-J. mmmmmmmmm. What can I say. She is a really good MC but in the past cruise directors have got involved in deck games etc.

:confused: We have been on the Pearl twice once with Sandy once with Zoltina ,although to be fair two different styles of CD`s enjoyed both, BUT Sandy was more Visible than Zoltina and he got involved on the pool deck a lot more ,interested to see who we get in 2016 to Raro :D

• 7 months later...

Interesting on how thoughts can vary. Even my own - had a ball twice on the Dawn, and that feeling didn't translate to the Jewel - and maybe that was just my own mood, or perhaps certain subtleties that didn't quite measure up. Having said that, we recently did QM2, and as lovely as that was, I'm feeling wildly more excited about the upcoming Pearl trip - P & O are definitely more laid back, but right now, that's what I need, to kick back, relax and not care or fuss about much. Also, I've got to say, food wise, the P & O dining room food compares well - very well, with the QM2 dining room experience. Just a lot less cost - gotta love that, more $$ to cruise again :)

I haven't cruised on the Pearl for about 3.5 years now. We loved her when we sailed on her. And the food on the Jewel recently, was a MAJOR highlight. P&O seem to have put a lot of effort into improving the food and it really shows.