Which beach would you recommend between Valley Church, Darkwood or Dickenson

beachcruiser2

Antigua beaches

We had taken several excursions when docked in Antigua in the past. Instead of a tour we plan on a beach day and a walk around town before getting back on the ship. We started researching but undecided which beach to visit for a swim. We are thinking of going to Valley Church, Darkwood or Dickenson Bay. I have read that there is a local bus to Darkwood but not sure about the other beaches. Have been dropped off at the beach at the end of tours in the past so never went on our own before. Not sure if we would take the bus as described being available on TripAdvisor or take a taxi. Does the bus take you to all three beaches? What beach would you recommend?

We also would love to find a few pieces of sea glass. Does any of the beaches have sea glass wash ashore? Would also buy a few pieces if shops sell it.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I just read this post sorry or I would have responded earlier, I have been to all 3 of these beaches and many others on Antigua, take the city bus to Darkwood. I've been here twice, I think the bus is #22. The first time I was on Darkwood I had rented a scooter from Cheke at the port, the second time we took the bus, it's the only way to go. They'll drop you off right at the Darkwood Beach bar, last bus I think runs at 4pm, you can leave on the bus that corresponds when your ship leaves.

Valley Church beach it's fine:rolleyes:, but I much prefer the set-up, lay-out and area altogether at Darkwood. It's nice out there, great view of Nevis and Monserratt on Darkwood. I think the bus was $3. I thought they were kidding. Rented a gazebo thingy on the end of the beach and chair, $5 Best time ever. Great little bar, food is always good, locally caught like MAJOR fresh fish everyday, ice cold brewski's, the lady that operates this establishment is simply lovely. Real Antigua.

We were on Antigua again back in 2013 did a ship tour with friends and ended up on the beach somewhere around Sandals:eek:. I was so pissed off:mad: I went and got my money back. I could have been on Darkwood all freaking day!!! Sandals???? Anyway what I just told you is what I'm doing when our ship ports on Antigua 11/29.

Have fun I always do. Todd

Todd - do you remember the name of the little bar at the end of the beach at Darkwood? We are going in September and wondered about those same 3 beaches. Do you know where Beachlimerz is (which part of the island)?

Thanks much!

Melissa

Todd - do you remember the name of the little bar at the end of the beach at Darkwood? We are going in September and wondered about those same 3 beaches. Do you know where Beachlimerz is (which part of the island)?

Thanks much!

Melissa

Hi Melissa

The Darkwood Beach Bar and restaurant we rented a palapa(authetic) type cover from the lady who owned it at the time. If you get on the Antigua Nice website, look up Darkwood Beach, all those aluminum 4 and 2 person cabana's, everything is all new, that lady has done well for herself, the restaurant she's completely expanded it. None of that was there when I started going there 11 years ago. I cant wait to go back this Dec., you are going in Sept. great time of the year to be there.

My plans unless I can find someone on my sailing who wants to go in on a driver for the day and head over to Long Bay Beach, I'm getting out of the port area early, heading to Darkwood on the bus, and spend the day.

Have a great time. Take care Todd

Hi Melissa

The Darkwood Beach Bar and restaurant we rented a palapa(authetic) type cover from the lady who owned it at the time. If you get on the Antigua Nice website, look up Darkwood Beach, all those aluminum 4 and 2 person cabana's, everything is all new, that lady has done well for herself, the restaurant she's completely expanded it. None of that was there when I started going there 11 years ago. I cant wait to go back this Dec., you are going in Sept. great time of the year to be there.

My plans unless I can find someone on my sailing who wants to go in on a driver for the day and head over to Long Bay Beach, I'm getting out of the port area early, heading to Darkwood on the bus, and spend the day.

Have a great time. Take care Todd

Thanks, Todd! I will definitely check out that website. Have fun when you go in December!!

Melissa

Following this thread with interest as like the OP, I am also looking for a beach to go to when my ship stops in Antigua in a few weeks (can't wait). Thanks for all the input so far.

I am debating between Jolly, Darkwood and Dickinson. I saw recent pics of Jolly on another thread and was wondering if anyone had any pics of Dickinson or Darkwood. Any advice or feedback is also really appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-)

Following this thread with interest as like the OP, I am also looking for a beach to go to when my ship stops in Antigua in a few weeks (can't wait). Thanks for all the input so far.

I am debating between Jolly, Darkwood and Dickinson. I saw recent pics of Jolly on another thread and was wondering if anyone had any pics of Dickinson or Darkwood. Any advice or feedback is also really appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-)

There are many new and updated photo's of off all these beaches you have mentioned, if you happen to read somewhere that "very powerful waves a couple weeks back have washed away this or that" and "this or that is no longer there" I could never tell you how many times I've heard that lame story especially when it comes to beaches on Antigua, I have no idea why those stories have always persisted when it comes to Antigua but they do, I have no clue as to what they are talking about, and either do they.

In 2007 I went to Darkwood Beach for the 1st time, in 2010(3 years later to the date) I went back again, mentioned on this board that I was heading back, instantly I started getting responses about how Darkwood was down to it's last 2 palm tree's the beach had been washed away from this hurricane and that hurricane, and so forth and that whatever I did I didnt want to go back to Darkwood Beach because there wasn't anything there anymore. Whatever you see on Darkwood Beach is still there, not only is everything still there it's only gotten better, this is coming from someone who was on Darkwood over a decade ago when there was very little of anything on Darkwood.

The only thing I dont know about Darkwood Beach is how popular it's gotten, when I went there years ago there was maybe other than a small handful of people nobody there, we had the whole beach to ourselves it was great, I'm not sure thats the case anymore. Go and have fun. Take care Todd

Thanks Todd for your response. I can only go on the pictures on another thread, a comment that the owner said she would have to wait until her beach returned, and a comment that other beaches had the same impacts a couple weeks back. I much prefer your version.

• 2 weeks later...
Do the buses take USD? the website I checked talked about using local currency on the buses. Thanks.

You have to buy your ticket at the counter first, yes they take the USD. It's the Valley Church #22 bus. No problemo. Have fun Todd

When we went to Valley church beach there was a huge drop off as soon as you entered the water. also the waves were pretty rough...rough enough to knock my husbands prescriptions sunglasses off (thankfully they were found near the shore about 1/2 hour later). The strong waves washed them to shore:) People had to be helped out of the water because of the drop off. It was such a hot day that most people wanted to be IN the water.

Was this a unique experience or is this how Valley Church beach is most of the time?

When we went to Valley church beach there was a huge drop off as soon as you entered the water. also the waves were pretty rough...rough enough to knock my husbands prescriptions sunglasses off (thankfully they were found near the shore about 1/2 hour later). The strong waves washed them to shore:) People had to be helped out of the water because of the drop off. It was such a hot day that most people wanted to be IN the water.

Was this a unique experience or is this how Valley Church beach is most of the time?

The drop off is always terrible there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is Darkwood easy to get in and out of the water? Not sure where to go and thought it would be Limerick but a bit concerned the beach is now very rough and washed away.

Darkwood beach walk right in the water no drop off or whatever beautiful stretch of beach, great bar, vibe cant be beat. Darkwood only way to go. Later Todd

• 4 weeks later...

We stopped at the little booth right at the pier, and asked what beach to go to. Can't remember what they said, but they sent us to a driver and I asked him "is this a beach you would recommend?". Absolutely not. I said, take us to a beach you would recommend. It was over on Picarts Bay. Quiet, until the ship excursion showed up, but they weren't there all that long, so we had the quiet back again.

We just got back from our cruise, went to Darkwood Beach by cab. Beach was GORGEOUS, not at all crowded when we were there- a Wednesday, 2 ships in port. One thing we didn't know was that there is a new water park down the beach from the bar- my kids loved it, and it's far enough that we couldn't hear yelling or anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app