Beaches with less scary drive :)

kayjay76

Hi all,

Can anyone give some suggestions on beaches in Tortola where you don't have to go up and over the mountains? Looking for an easier, flatter drive lol. We went to Cane Garden last year and was perfect except for the drive ( although props to those drivers, they are great!). Any and all suggestions would be great, ty!!

A few options, Long Bay (West End) is probably the best as there is a restaurant there with restrooms and lounges for $5/pp. Gorgeous, long picture postcard beach, you'll travel along the coast toward Soper's Hole (West End) on a mostly flat road, then go over Zion Hill Road to meet the North Coast Road. That hill is much smaller and less steep than the main spine you go over to get to the other beaches. That is also the narrowest point to cross. Long Bay is to the left over a small knoll.

Just beyond down an unpaved road is our favorite Tortola beach, Smuggler's Cove. There may or may not be a vendor selling drinks and food, and there was a portapotty but I read that was removed, the driver should know.

Another option in the opposite direction with a relatively flat drive is Marina Cay, you'll find mention of that in my posts in other threads here or you can google that if interested...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, blue_water said:

A few options, Long Bay (West End) is probably the best as there is a restaurant there with restrooms and lounges for $5/pp. Gorgeous, long picture postcard beach, you'll travel along the coast toward Soper's Hole (West End) on a mostly flat road, then go over Zion Hill Road to meet the North Coast Road. That hill is much smaller and less steep than the main spine you go over to get to the other beaches. That is also the narrowest point to cross. Long Bay is to the left over a small knoll.

Just beyond down an unpaved road is our favorite Tortola beach, Smuggler's Cove. There may or may not be a vendor selling drinks and food, and there was a portapotty but I read that was removed, the driver should know.

Another option in the opposite direction with a relatively flat drive is Marina Cay, you'll find mention of that in my posts in other threads here or you can google that if interested...

This sounds perfect Blue Water.

We wanted to go to Long Bay Beach on the West End.

Do you know the name of the restaurant?

Thank you for any additional information...lounge chair and umbrella rentals on this beach, etc.?

Don

I’ve just learned that the Long Bay Beach Club has been sold by Elite Island Resorts to a California buyer who is returning the resort to its original larger size with more facilities. I don’t know the current status of the Tropical Fusion Beach Bar or if lounges are an option, sorry. Will post any updates I get, please share any news you may get when on Tortola!

FYI - The original Long Bay Resort offered day passes that included use of lounges/towels, access to the large pool, and a drink and sandwich. That changed to just lounge rentals when the resort downsized. With this change back to the larger resort a day pass may be an option again but it’s too soon to know...

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

I’ve just learned that the Long Bay Beach Club has been sold by Elite Island Resorts to a California buyer who is returning the resort to its original larger size with more facilities. I don’t know the current status of the Tropical Fusion Beach Bar or if lounges are an option, sorry. Will post any updates I get, please share any news you may get when on Tortola!

FYI - The original Long Bay Resort offered day passes that included use of lounges/towels, access to the large pool, and a drink and sandwich. That changed to just lounge rentals when the resort downsized. With this change back to the larger resort a day pass may be an option again but it’s too soon to know...

Thanks for that information Blue.

I emailed Kenny (owner of the Tropical Fusion asking if he is open for lunch.  He confirmed he would accommodate a group from our cruise when we arrive in Tortola on January 25th.

I responded I would check with my roll call group on CC.

Then asked about lounge chairs on the beach near his restaurant.

No response yet.

Will keep you posted.

Don

I also touched base with Ken who said he will be open by our sail date in March. I guess we will plan on Long Bay as long as there is a place for us to grab a bite and some drinks. Where do the taxi drivers typically drop off at Long Bay? Is it near Tropical Fusion or will we have quite a walk on the beach to get there? I am just wondering if we should ask them to take us straight to the restaurant and we'll find our beach spot nearby there, or if the normal drop off is close by. I just need to figure out all the logistics ahead of time, otherwise husband will say, "This is far. I thought you had this figured out." lol. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, CruisingTheWaves said:

I also touched base with Ken who said he will be open by our sail date in March. I guess we will plan on Long Bay as long as there is a place for us to grab a bite and some drinks. Where do the taxi drivers typically drop off at Long Bay? Is it near Tropical Fusion or will we have quite a walk on the beach to get there? I am just wondering if we should ask them to take us straight to the restaurant and we'll find our beach spot nearby there, or if the normal drop off is close by. I just need to figure out all the logistics ahead of time, otherwise husband will say, "This is far. I thought you had this figured out." lol. 

I received a response from Ken...

He said the beach is still beautiful and he has 20 beach chairs.

Although his website indicates he is only open for dinner, I got the impression that he would open up for lunch if I could organize a group from my Roll Call.

So far, I only have one other couple.  I might have to see if I can do anything at my Meet and Greet.

(Thanks Blue for your help!)

Don:classic_rolleyes:

20 hours ago, dongordon said:

I received a response from Ken...

He said the beach is still beautiful and he has 20 beach chairs.

Although his website indicates he is only open for dinner, I got the impression that he would open up for lunch if I could organize a group from my Roll Call.

So far, I only have one other couple.  I might have to see if I can do anything at my Meet and Greet.

(Thanks Blue for your help!)

Don:classic_rolleyes:

Thanks, we aren't headed till March and I did mention that we would want to visit for lunch, he didn't say anything about not opening up for lunch and only being open for dinner. He's pretty responsive, so I will e-mail him again the week before we leave to make sure that's still the plan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...