"Friends of Bill W"?

DC Traveler244

Bill W was the founder of what eventually became Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles and programme of which which eventually spread to include Narcotics Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous and others.

So it's called Friends of Bill W rather than AA for anonymity but also so that people in NA, GA etc know that they are also welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bill W almost always travels with Dorothy who also likes to host events for her friends too. ;)

Some folks are friends with both. Some with only one. Many with neither.

FOD aka Friends Of Dorthy are hosted on many cruise lines including Crystal. Friends of Bill W is a lifeline for people in recovery which lasts a lifetime. I am sure Seabourn as well. Read below.

http://www.cruisedork.com/ask-the-cruise-dork/bill-dorothy-friends/

Edited by Suite Travels

On Seabourn, and no doubt on many other lines, the quaint "FOD" has been replaced for some time now by the more modern "LGBT" moniker.

Actually in this day and age, there really isn't a need for LGBT gatherings. Seabourn, among many other cruise lines, have very inclusive clientele.

Actually in this day and age, there really isn't a need for LGBT gatherings. Seabourn, among many other cruise lines, have very inclusive clientele.

Dan is correct. As of the last few years it is now referred to as LGBT. Friends of Bill W still remains the same.

True, on Seabourn, such gatherings are really unnecessary and rarely organized, except by special request of a guest or staff.

OTOH and a bit OT, it would be nice to have some "T" representation at LGBT gatherings - I have yet to see one on Seabourn...

Edited by sfvoyage

A few years ago Crystal had a FOD meet and mingle. Funny thing was we had already met each other in the beginning of the cruise. Oh well, it was still nice they did this and the Captain and Society Hostess joined in. It really is not necessary today. Bill W meetings are still very important.

FOD aka Friends Of Dorthy are hosted on many cruise lines including Crystal. Friends of Bill W is a lifeline for people in recovery which lasts a lifetime. I am sure Seabourn as well. Read below.

http://www.cruisedork.com/ask-the-cruise-dork/bill-dorothy-friends/

I'm very familiar with Dorothy and her many friends. 😉

• 1 month later...

Host Dan says: “Actually in this day and age, there really isn't a need for LGBT gatherings. Seabourn, among many other cruise lines, have very inclusive clientele.”

Daniel, some ‘clientele’ may be ‘inclusive’, but some ain’t. Let me explain.

On a 35-day cruise a couple of years ago, my wife and I quickly realised that the two most worthwhile dinner/pool deck companions on the ship were a gay male couple. These guys were fun, and so worthwhile. We sought out their company at every opportunity.

Then, early on, the hosted table invites started coming out. We always accept. We got one nearly every night. We tried to get them on our table. No success. Time went on. We asked them, 20 or so days in, what hosted tables they’d been invited to. Not one.

We made inquiries. You find out it is hard to find out who is in charge of such matters. But, in the end, there is a person. You ask and get told: “Oh, is that so; we’ll surely have to do something about that!” Next night, they are invited to a table hosted by one of the gay dancers etc. Nothing after that. So, we stopped accepting invites to hosted tables (probably, in the main, a good idea) and had dinner with them every night from thereon and this was indeed a good idea: it was fun.

But, during this time you still probe and then, right at the end, you find the reason why they don’t get hosted table invites and are told quite bluntly: some Americans might possibly find it difficult to be at a table with a gay person. It's a pity, for both sides.

Host Dan says: “Actually in this day and age, there really isn't a need for LGBT gatherings. Seabourn, among many other cruise lines, have very inclusive clientele.”

Daniel, some ‘clientele’ may be ‘inclusive’, but some ain’t. Let me explain.

On a 35-day cruise a couple of years ago, my wife and I quickly realised that the two most worthwhile dinner/pool deck companions on the ship were a gay male couple. These guys were fun, and so worthwhile. We sought out their company at every opportunity.

Then, early on, the hosted table invites started coming out. We always accept. We got one nearly every night. We tried to get them on our table. No success. Time went on. We asked them, 20 or so days in, what hosted tables they’d been invited to. Not one.

We made inquiries. You find out it is hard to find out who is in charge of such matters. But, in the end, there is a person. You ask and get told: “Oh, is that so; we’ll surely have to do something about that!” Next night, they are invited to a table hosted by one of the gay dancers etc. Nothing after that. So, we stopped accepting invites to hosted tables (probably, in the main, a good idea) and had dinner with them every night from thereon and this was indeed a good idea: it was fun.

But, during this time you still probe and then, right at the end, you find the reason why they don’t get hosted table invites and are told quite bluntly: some Americans might possibly find it difficult to be at a table with a gay person. It's a pity, for both sides.

I'm actually quite shocked to read your post! On every Seabourn cruise I have ever been on (250 days), my partner and I have always been invited to hosted tables, from the Captains table all the way to the entertainers! Several times we had to respectfully cancel due to other dinner plans with new found friends!

If I were told that some Americans might possibly find it difficult to be at a table with a gay person, I would make it my mission to get that idiot fired.

Edited by Host Dan

And honestly, not being invited to a hosted table is much more desirable for me. Saves me the trouble of having to decline. But that's just me. I understand that many like them.

Wripro, we feel the same. After twenty years with my partner now husband we have never had an issue with being a gay couple or being invited by others to join them for dinner or cocktails. We are no different than anyone else. We are both professionals and have college degrees and love hanging with anyone straight or gay. However I would have an issue with the comment made by a Seabourn crew member as Host Dan pointed out.

I have heard many wonderful comments from our friends that have told us " You have no worries."

What is always funny and some of you may know this, people ask us if we are brothers? We get this all the time. We look nothing alike...because I am the better looking one. Just kidding.

On Crystal this has never been a problem and I am sure this will not be an issue on Seabourn. We just blend in with everyone else and they will figure us out after a few drinks.:D

I'm told that Seabourn transatlantic voyages are very popular with LGBT guests and certainly there seemed to be a higher proportion of that demographic on our last TA on Odyssey last October. We all had an absolute ball and several told me they've never experienced any hint of disapproval or non-acceptance; quite the opposite in fact. Times have changed indeed :)

Wripro, we feel the same. After twenty years with my partner now husband we have never had an issue with being a gay couple or being invited by others to join them for dinner or cocktails. We are no different than anyone else. We are both professionals and have college degrees and love hanging with anyone straight or gay. However I would have an issue with the comment made by a Seabourn crew member as Host Dan pointed out.

I have heard many wonderful comments from our friends that have told us " You have no worries."

What is always funny and some of you may know this, people ask us if we are brothers? We get this all the time. We look nothing alike...because I am the better looking one. Just kidding.

On Crystal this has never been a problem and I am sure this will not be an issue on Seabourn. We just blend in with everyone else and they will figure us out after a few drinks.:D

Seabourn passengers, like Crystal passengers, are a sophisticated bunch. You will have no issues. And, if for some reason, you come across a boor it's his problem, not yours.

• 2 months later...