Purchasing FCDs for others while on your cruise

StLouisCruisers

We just got off the Sun Princess and our Future Cruise Sales representative, Kirk told us that he was now able to offer us the ability to purchase FCDs for family members (and possibly friends) who have previously sailed with Princess. This interested us because we are going to be booking a cruise with all our immediate family for our 50th anniversary in 2019. Eight of the ten people involved have sailed with Princess before and he was able to look them up and sell the FCDs to us right on the spot.

Just thought everyone should be aware because in the past, if you weren't on the ship, you wouldn't have gotten those FCDs.

We just got off the Sun Princess and our Future Cruise Sales representative, Kirk told us that he was now able to offer us the ability to purchase FCDs for family members (and possibly friends) who have previously sailed with Princess. This interested us because we are going to be booking a cruise with all our immediate family for our 50th anniversary in 2019. Eight of the ten people involved have sailed with Princess before and he was able to look them up and sell the FCDs to us right on the spot.

Just thought everyone should be aware because in the past, if you weren't on the ship, you wouldn't have gotten those FCDs.

I just called customer relations at Princess and was told NO! you can only purchase FCD's for persons onboard, so how Kirk was able to do this? I will be sailing on the Royal next week and verify with the Future cruise person on board.

I know we were surprised when Kirk told us this. He said he had a conference call to Corporate and was discussing various items. He brought up the FCDs and they agreed to this new policy. We didn't ask questions - just bought for all family members who were previous Princess passengers. Today we used them all when we booked 5 cabins for our 50th anniversary cruise in 2019. Not a word was said against using them.

The consultant's name was Kirk Alexander on the Sun Princess. Since he was given the go ahead on a conference call, perhaps the policy hasn't been written in stone yet. I was very surprised to hear about it but happy it occurred at this time which was to our benefit.

Oh, man, missed it by that much. My wife was on a cruise with our younger daughter in November (CROWN) and tried to get FCD's for me instead of daughter and that was a "no go". But I'd like more evidence this is a real change and fleetwide. If extends to "friends" then tons of people could get more FCD's by having a CC friend buy them up.

Question. If you are now able to buy FCD on board for others not on the ship does Princess offer the same Future Cruise Credits or are they different amounts?

Personally I see purchasing FCD as a perk for those who actually cruise. Buying them for others who aren't cruising seems like something "odd" to offer.

I have to say that I agree with you. It is one of the perks of taking a cruise or even paying to do a BVE. What worries me is that they start to dilute the OBC at some point tied to the FCD or make changes to the program since they are changing how they can be purchased.

Personally I see purchasing FCD as a perk for those who actually cruise. Buying them for others who aren't cruising seems like something "odd" to offer.

I do know of one time in the past Princess offered this 'perk' as a promo called 'Triple Play' while on an Alaska cruise about three years ago? The deposit was a very low amount like $5 or less, you got 30% discount and OBC, but was valid for only certain getaway/short cruises. You could make deposits for others not onboard. I had a lot of friends doing these short cruises and I made about 40 deposits. It was a great promo and I think we did all the sailings except one. I think this was after the 'never to be repeated'(was told this by a future cruise rep onboard after the promo ended) book one of these getaway cruises and princess will refund your fare as goodwill credit to be used on a 7 day or longer cruise in the future and you had 1 year to use the goodwill credit.

This account originated with a CC member that was on a sailing operated by Princess Australia.

Previous threads on CC indicate that FCD's are handled somewhat differently by Princess Australia.

Could that be true in this case?

I have to say that I agree with you. It is one of the perks of taking a cruise or even paying to do a BVE. What worries me is that they start to dilute the OBC at some point tied to the FCD or make changes to the program since they are changing how they can be purchased.

When Princess first started doing Future Cruise Deposits, they allowed me to get some for others (they were very well traveled Princess cruisers who had ran out). I had done this multiple times. At that time, the benefits were better and also lasted longer. So if this is true (I heard it elsewhere a few months ago), it doesn't necessarily mean that Princess will make these less worthy/dilute them. They did it previously when they were more worthy. They can dilute or increase these anytime they want with out any changes. They have proven that.

It may be easy for some of you to do a BVE, especially if you live in driving distance of the port. Some of us have to travel all day and spend $500 on a plane ticket to get to a port.

• 2 weeks later...
This account originated with a CC member that was on a sailing operated by Princess Australia.

Previous threads on CC indicate that FCD's are handled somewhat differently by Princess Australia.

Could that be true in this case?

Hello All,

I am currently sailing on the Royal Princess and the future cruise consultant did verify you can now purchase FCD's for passengers not onboard as long as they have sailed with Princess and have a captain circle number. I told her I got the opposite answer when I called corporate in Santa Clarita and she said she would send them an email.

We just got off the Crown Princess this past Friday and were able to purchase FCD for our son, who has sailed on Princess many times but was NOT on the ship with us. The future cruise consultant told us that this is a new policy and has only been in effect two weeks.

Can anyone confirm that the credit amount is the same for passengers not on the cruise?

As posted, allowing passengers to purchase FCDs during a period of time post-cruise has reduced credit.

It’s not surprising that Princess will now accept our money for non-cruising passengers to be used as a deposit & potentially to provide some non-refundable OBC.

Can anyone confirm that the credit amount is the same for passengers not on the cruise?

As posted, allowing passengers to purchase FCDs during a period of time post-cruise has reduced credit.

It’s not surprising that Princess will now accept our money for non-cruising passengers to be used as a deposit & potentially to provide some non-refundable OBC.

The OBC amount is the same as if our son had been on the cruise and had purchased the FCD on board himself.

I just got off of the Coral Princess on Dec. 21st.

I had the same experience. I was told that I could purchase Future cruise credits for anyone who had cruised with Princess before and they did not have to be with me on the cruise. This is Princess USA, not Princess Australia.

I don't know if this is a temporary promotion to increase sales or a permanent change in policy.