Cruising Snobbery

e3g

AWWWW - thank you (Blush)

When you live in a country with 5.5 mill people you have to learn at least one other language. Every kid in Denmark is taught English from the age of 9-10 and all the way up (age 16 or 19). Every kid is taught a third (or even fourth) language as well, but not for so many years.

I think I had lessons in English, German, French and Latin. And was expected to be able to read Swedish and Norwegian as well (The three Scandinavian languages are somewhat similar).

WOW ... a country with only 5.5 million people! That's the size of an average city in the US. It would be wonderful to live like that. Example: NY City is 8.6 million as of July 2016.

If you want to shut people down, all you have to say is that, "Our company designs, markets and sells custom imprinted urinal cakes. I'm the 7th generation in the family business."

You can also mention that you are in life insurance sales.

Both of those should work.

If you go with the former, you can shut down suite conversations by talking about how disappointing it is that the PS has a bidet but no urinal.

Best Laugh of the day!!!! Worked for a nationwide restaurant supplier and those sold real well.

Yes, since about 2013, I have noticed a discernable increase in "status snobbery" while cruising Celebrity (by far the most), Princess and HAL.

Contrary to popular cruise lore, experienced no "status snobbery" on my Cunard voyages.

Experienced no "status snobbery" on my Oceania voyages which have been the best cruise experiences of my life.

Since the cruise lines implemented class segmentation, I have found, both on CC and on the ships, a level of snobbishness and entitlement from some people (not all) particularly in the "suite class". Whether by word in conversations "how was your dinner in the MDR" or by deed, at the Guest Relations desk "can you please keep non suite people out of our lounge", some "suite class" passengers seem to exude arrogance.

We no longer cruise Celebrity for many reasons, but Celebrity's overt fawning over the "suite class" I believe has created an atmosphere on board their ships that truly separates guests.

Versus the original design of cruising, where everyone mingled and ate in all venues, today's cruise design is focused on separating people geographically and by experience. This I believe reducess the atmosphere of being "together" on the voyage. The separation provides opportunity to compare and contrast between guests.

One of the main reasons we adore Oceania, is that everyone eats and drinks in all venues. The Oceania guests are the most friendly, engaging and informative guests we have experienced.

My analysis does not apply to most cruising guests, but I have seen and experienced "status snobbery" over time aligned with the design changes in cruising. We only book verandas and have most certainly been looked down up by guests booked in suites.

Such are my experiences, others will have different experiences.

You are totally correct about sailing on Oceania where people are comfortable in their own skin.

The other interesting comments are about New Haven pizza. We prefer Moderne to Frank Peppe’s And Sally’s. Cannot wait to go again.

WOW ... a country with only 5.5 million people! That's the size of an average city in the US. It would be wonderful to live like that. Example: NY City is 8.6 million as of July 2016.

A bit of an exaggeration maybe? The ONLY city in America with a population over 5 million IS New York City at 8.6 million. That is a far cry from saying that is the AVERAGE size is 5 million.

For your question #3, you want to put the poster on "ignore". That way you don't see their posts unless someone quotes them.

to put a poster on ignore, go to your usercp (User Control Panel) - right hand side at the top where your name is, there is an arrow, click then and you will see the ignore option on the left hand screen about 1/2 way down.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for reminding me how to do that! If ever it was needed...

Best Laugh of the day!!!! Worked for a nationwide restaurant supplier and those sold real well.

I once heard a fellow say he worked for IRS in Audit divsion......... He then asked f in what state they lived and told them thatt was included in his 'territory.'

Of course, that is only 'fu' n or efffective if they are from U.S.

We are just in, last Friday, from the 49 Transatlantic on the Veendam. Experienced a lot of things but snobbery was not one of them. Fabulous itinerary; great ship, mixed feelings about shipboard activities, but doubt I encountered any snobbery.

One thing I have learned on this very long and complicated thread. Don't ever ask someone on a cruise what they do for a living. I don't think I or DH have ever done that, but it is good to know that some people find it offensive. Others can ask me or DH, we don't really mind, as we are retired anyway. But I can understand that a doctor, dentist, lawyer, tax professional, or judge, or a few other occupations may not like that question because of where the conversation may lead. I will make sure I never ask, unless the information is offered. Religion and Politics are definitely not mentioned by us. Now, asking where someone is from, or where they have traveled I feel are pretty vanilla questions provided a person never criticizes the response.........like mocking someone's accent or lack thereof, for example. I like talking to others on a cruise or tour when the situation presents itself and learning some very valuable travel information in the bargain. But evidently occupation is a touchy subject and I will make sure I never go there!! It is a good thought for everyone to keep under their cap when traveling!!

Interesting, we have found recently that some of the doctors, lawyers and judges made sure we knew what they did. But we do understand about the sometimes intrusive questioning depending on your occupation. Still overall we have found very interesting people on HAL. So up to the individual to decide what they wish to share. We have enjoyed The company of a wide variety of individuals from many walks of life.

A bit of an exaggeration maybe? The ONLY city in America with a population over 5 million IS New York City at 8.6 million. That is a far cry from saying that is the AVERAGE size is 5 million.

There are, however, at least 9 US metropolitan areas with over 5 million population. As such and especially since most discussions of US population figures are based on metropolitan areas (ergo the SMSA nomenclature), I say we give CruiseGal999 some leeway ... unless that would be forbidden by the First Amendment to the US Constitution, a topic on which you provided insights in another Thread ...

Maybe we have been the exception. However, the bigger question/issue is do you see/experience in cruising snobbery?

Short Answer: NO.

Longer answer, even when somebody mentions their status or cruise history, I see that as informing me of their perspective, because we’re probably sharing opinions. I can say 100% for sure we’ve been asked how many cruises we’ve taken WAAAAYY more than we’ve ever had someone tell us their history without asking. I will admit to promoting Carnival Cove Balconies, but since they are the cheapest balconies on the ship I don’t see that as being snobbish - rather sharing the value I see. I’m same holds true for those who pay more for more. It’s not that they are trying to make somebody feel bad, but but convince that person (or perhaps themselves) that what they spent was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder what the impression is for people who are reading this thread as background information on the people they might encounter on a H.A.L. cruise.

Will their fellow H.A.L. passenger be good company, able to display socialization skills, or critical snobs, more interested in cliques and elitist behavior.

Some seem to forget (or have never understood) that we will all on this ship together. It should be incumbent on all of us to do the best we can, to not only make our vacation pleasant, but also make those around us comfortable and want to share our company.

There are, however, at least 9 US metropolitan areas with over 5 million population. As such and especially since most discussions of US population figures are based on metropolitan areas (ergo the SMSA nomenclature), I say we give CruiseGal999 some leeway ... unless that would be forbidden by the First Amendment to the US Constitution, a topic on which you provided insights in another Thread ...

I'll gladly give you the 9 metropolitan areas and agree on your numbers. Considering the number of cities in America, I still contend that 9 can hardly be considered when arriving at an average which is what the OP was stating ... the average city size.

Yes, since about 2013, I have noticed a discernable increase in "status snobbery" while cruising Celebrity (by far the most), Princess and HAL.

Contrary to popular cruise lore, experienced no "status snobbery" on my Cunard voyages.

Experienced no "status snobbery" on my Oceania voyages which have been the best cruise experiences of my life.

Since the cruise lines implemented class segmentation, I have found, both on CC and on the ships, a level of snobbishness and entitlement from some people (not all) particularly in the "suite class". Whether by word in conversations "how was your dinner in the MDR" or by deed, at the Guest Relations desk "can you please keep non suite people out of our lounge", some "suite class" passengers seem to exude arrogance.

We no longer cruise Celebrity for many reasons, but Celebrity's overt fawning over the "suite class" I believe has created an atmosphere on board their ships that truly separates guests.

Versus the original design of cruising, where everyone mingled and ate in all venues, today's cruise design is focused on separating people geographically and by experience. This I believe reducess the atmosphere of being "together" on the voyage. The separation provides opportunity to compare and contrast between guests.

One of the main reasons we adore Oceania, is that everyone eats and drinks in all venues. The Oceania guests are the most friendly, engaging and informative guests we have experienced.

My analysis does not apply to most cruising guests, but I have seen and experienced "status snobbery" over time aligned with the design changes in cruising. We only book verandas and have most certainly been looked down up by guests booked in suites.

Such are my experiences, others will have different experiences.

Everyone's experiences are indeed different. One thing I found on the O cruise we did was the constant reminder that we were newbies "oh you are not being invited to this", etc. While many were kind and gracious there were enough who were the opposite letting us know that we were "new" that I can't say there isn't snobbery on O. And I am not just talking about cruisers but staff.

I have sailed many ships in my time and certainly you meet the odd "snob". There was no question about it on this ship.

Oceania certainly has suites and like HAL, everyone dines in the same venues. I see no difference here and have sailed both. the one thing I did see different is how a new cruiser is welcomed on HAL versus O. but, again, like you, just my experience.

On HAL, we have welcomed every new cruiser. but again, that's just been my experience.

Edited by kazu

Everyone's experiences are indeed different. One thing I found on the O cruise we did was the constant reminder that we were newbies "oh you are not being invited to this", etc. While many were kind and gracious there were enough who were the opposite letting us know that we were "new" that I can't say there isn't snobbery on O.

I don't quite understand this post. Oceania certainly has suites and like HAL, everyone dines in the same venues. I see no difference here and have sailed both. the one thing I did see different is how a new cruiser is welcomed on HAL versus O. but, again, like you, just my experience.

It just may be a cultural idiosyncrasy since the vast majority of Oceania cruisers (often more the 75% per trip) are repeat customers.

i wonder what the impression is for people who are reading this thread as background information on the people they might encounter on a h.a.l. Cruise.

Will their fellow h.a.l. Passenger be good company, able to display socialization skills, or critical snobs, more interested in cliques and elitist behavior.

Some seem to forget (or have never understood) that we will all on this ship together. It should be incumbent on all of us to do the best we can, to not only make our vacation pleasant, but also make those around us comfortable and want to share our company.

👌👌👌

It just may be a cultural idiosyncrasy since the vast majority of Oceania cruisers (often more the 75% per trip) are repeat customers.

as are many HAL cruisers - especially on some ships and itineraries. But new cruisers were welcomed with open arms :D

At least, on my cruises.

Everyone's experiences are indeed different. One thing I found on the O cruise we did was the constant reminder that we were newbies "oh you are not being invited to this", etc. While many were kind and gracious there were enough who were the opposite letting us know that we were "new" that I can't say there isn't snobbery on O. And I am not just talking about cruisers but staff.

I have sailed many ships in my time and certainly you meet the odd "snob". There was no question about it on this ship.

Oceania certainly has suites and like HAL, everyone dines in the same venues. I see no difference here and have sailed both. the one thing I did see different is how a new cruiser is welcomed on HAL versus O. but, again, like you, just my experience.

On HAL, we have welcomed every new cruiser. but again, that's just been my experience.

So are you saying you wanted Oceania to let you attend events you did not qualify for? Why would staff or passengers even bring up the topic?

I’ve been on eight cruise lines and was a first timer on each one. I had no idea what events were being held for repeaters and staff members did not go around talking about these events. Just saying

Really....who cares about these events?

Are people that desperate to get a free glass of really cheap plonk, are their egos that small or their aspirations such that they need have a need to be in a group with a ship's officer and be recognized for being an 'important' repeat customer of some sort.

I would much prefer something more tangible like a discount on my next cruise or an upgrade. My customer loyalty can be bought...but it will take a little more than a glass of $3. wine to get me in the mood to place another order without shopping the deal.

I'll gladly give you the 9 metropolitan areas and agree on your numbers. Considering the number of cities in America, I still contend that 9 can hardly be considered when arriving at an average which is what the OP was stating ... the average city size.

IMO CruiseGal999 was, at worse, guilty of hyperbole and sloppy choice of the word "average" ... which makes her no worse than other CCers who make categorical statements about matters of which they are ignorant ... I say CruiseGal999 should be given a pass.

So are you saying you wanted Oceania to let you attend events you did not qualify for? Why would staff or passengers even bring up the topic?

I’ve been on eight cruise lines and was a first timer on each one. I had no idea what events were being held for repeaters and staff members did not go around talking about these events. Just saying

The same thoughts crossed my mind when I read the referenced Post ... GMTA ...

I would never take offense to someone asking me what I do for a living. It’s nice to have someone actually take an interest. I doubt that most people ask to “size you up,” financially. They’re just trying to make conversation. It’s a whole lot better than discussing the weather! Geez.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think s/he was wanting unearned access. Nor do I think O regulars meant their question about "what no invite?" as a negative slight.

Really, the O Club returnees cocktail party pretty much involves 75% of those folks on the ship (often they have to do two different ones just to fit everybody in). Whether you're on your second cruise or twentieth, everyone is treated exactly the same. And BTW, it's an open bar - so a double Sidecar (or two) with VSOP, Cointreau and fresh lemon juice is no problem.

Thus, newbies are somewhat of an oddity and veteran O cruisers usually help them get the most out of things like O Life, book onboard, etc.