Explore 4 question (All Explore 4 threads have been merged into this thread)

We were given the explore 4 package several months ago when we booked a cruise. I assumed the limit of 15 drinks a day was for each person however now I am wondering if it means a limit of 15 drinks a day for the couple.

We were given the explore 4 package several months ago when we booked a cruise. I assumed the limit of 15 drinks a day was for each person however now I am wondering if it means a limit of 15 drinks a day for the couple.

It's per person. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense - because it would mean 7 1/2 drinks per person...

It's per person! But that includes alcohol, water, and specialty coffee's.

Drink responsibly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was 15 per person, although one bar tender on our cruise thought it was 17!?

The good part of it was that it was embedded on your room key, also you could order up to 3 drinks at once, also you could order for your room partner (who also has there own spb) ... All these were an improvement on what we experienced on X (albeit 2 years ago).

The poor things were that the bar staff couldn't tell you what your running total was and the front desk had to manually count it, so you need to count yourself how many you are charging to each card ... Annoying.

As mentioned it's handy for proper coffee and for sparkling water, most cocktails are covered. Wine by the glass is the let down, especially as on our b2b they changed the menus and removed several popular options (they did honour it to us as we knew the wines but new passengers would not have known).

On K you can get some great beers at Dutch cafe.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There is another thread out there that claims the "new" Explorer 4 has free non alcoholics that do not count against your 15.

It would not surprise me ... We wanted to test the system because many of our orders were clumped together so were above $8 and the fact that no system onboard could tell us how many we had I am still sceptical that the limit is real.

15 drinks person is good. We don't drink a large amount of alcohol but we drink a lot of coffee, soda and bottled water. I am looking forward to trying some different cocktails, knowing that I can get something different if I don't like the first one. Is the 15% gratuity included in the explore 4 or will that be charged to our account?

It's per person. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense - because it would mean 7 1/2 drinks per person...

Your answer is correct, but you should have left off your "doesn't make sense" remark. If it were 15 drinks per couple or cabin it could be 1+14, 2+13, etc., so her question did make sense to me, but then my math education goes through differential equations. ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

Your answer is correct, but you should have left off your "doesn't make sense" remark. If it were 15 drinks per couple or cabin it could be 1+14, 2+13, etc., so her question did make sense to me, but then my math education goes through differential equations. ;)

Now who's being snarky??

:)

The good part of it was that it was embedded on your room key, also you could order up to 3 drinks at once, also you could order for your room partner (who also has there own spb) ... All these were an improvement on what we experienced on X (albeit 2 years ago).

The terms and conditions of the Explore 4 package state you can only order one drink at a time and no sharing. What ship were you on that allowed you to order 3 drinks at once and also order for your room partner? Was this just a friendly bar-tender or was this a change in the conditions? Were you given anything in writing regarding the change?

I will be on the Maasdam soon with Explore 4 and would love to be able to order 2 or 3 drinks at once.:cool:

The terms and conditions of the Explore 4 package state you can only order one drink at a time and no sharing. What ship were you on that allowed you to order 3 drinks at once and also order for your room partner? Was this just a friendly bar-tender or was this a change in the conditions? Were you given anything in writing regarding the change?

I will be on the Maasdam soon with Explore 4 and would love to be able to order 2 or 3 drinks at once.:cool:

We were on koningsdam and did it in every bar and restaurant, the staff regularly said just give us one card. Often towards the end of the night we would order 3 each at the same time. Only once or twice did they say only 2 at a time and never were we limited to what you suggest.

Sorry if I offended someone with my remark - and here I was so happy that I could divide by two - maths were never my choice at school - a looong time ago... ;)

Sorry if I offended someone with my remark - and here I was so happy that I could divide by two - maths were never my choice at school - a looong time ago... ;)

If anyone was offended, they're in the wrong forum, although I was worried I'd offend you with the math/logic lesson. Kinda like my saying, "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong."

Edited by blizzardboy

In the "old" days when we had 2 Explorer 4 cards, I would run upstairs and grab two glasses of wine with 2 cards.

Would seem pretty stupid to expect the wife to run up to the bar with me.

We were on koningsdam and did it in every bar and restaurant, the staff regularly said just give us one card. Often towards the end of the night we would order 3 each at the same time. Only once or twice did they say only 2 at a time and never were we limited to what you suggest.

How closely did you look at your account at cruise end? The computer doesn't play favorites very often. If 3 drinks hit the same card at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if one was charged against the pkg and the others against your account or OBC. I'm not saying that's the case as maybe there's a computer anomaly that let's it slide. I couldn't order a double on the pkg until the barkeep started ringing them as two, and not entered at the same time. A small, rectangular piece of green paper with numbers on the corners, given to your favorite barkeep early-on in the cruise, will often help him work the system for you. I've seen the evidence on my cabin folio of both charges for doubles and paying for my DW's and my drinks on one card at the same time.

In the "old" days when we had 2 Explorer 4 cards, I would run upstairs and grab two glasses of wine with 2 cards.

Would seem pretty stupid to expect the wife to run up to the bar with me.

We had a drink at the same bar before dinner every night in January and they always asked for both cards.

How closely did you look at your account at cruise end? The computer doesn't play favorites very often. If 3 drinks hit the same card at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if one was charged against the pkg and the others against your account or OBC. I'm not saying that's the case as maybe there's a computer anomaly that let's it slide. I couldn't order a double on the pkg until the barkeep started ringing them as two, and not entered at the same time. A small, rectangular piece of green paper with numbers on the corners, given to your favorite barkeep early-on in the cruise, will often help him work the system for you. I've seen the evidence on my cabin folio of both charges for doubles and paying for my DW's and my drinks on one card at the same time.

Checked my account daily and never charged incorrectly even the ones rung up in groups that were well over $8. Either the system can't deal with the limits or perhaps the bar staff can ring them up as "package" but definitely never an issue

Checked my account daily and never charged incorrectly even the ones rung up in groups that were well over $8. Either the system can't deal with the limits or perhaps the bar staff can ring them up as "package" but definitely never an issue

Lucky, boy! Did you say it was on the K'dam? Might have been the sailing equivalent of a Welcome wagon deal.

We had the Explore4 on our Eurodam cruise last fall.

We were able to order 2 drinks each time -- we had to give both our ID cards when we ordered.

Two people ordering one each on separate cards is how it's supposed to work. That's why I was surprised to hear gent saying they ordered 3 on one card. If 3 or 4 in a cabin all had the package, I can envision the barkeep being able to see all cards after accessing the system with one. I know the computer caught it on the Oosterdam in Jan when I ordered a drink for me and a friend on my card.

Two people ordering one each on separate cards is how it's supposed to work. That's why I was surprised to hear gent saying they ordered 3 on one card. If 3 or 4 in a cabin all had the package, I can envision the barkeep being able to see all cards after accessing the system with one. I know the computer caught it on the Oosterdam in Jan when I ordered a drink for me and a friend on my card.

When I had the card they told me one per card with I think a 5 minute pause between drinks. They said that this was done to prevent people from ordering drinks for others who did not have the card/Explore4.

Besides being told at several different locations on the Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this month that only alcoholic drinks counted towards our 15 per person daily allotment, every evening when my husband ordered Bailey's (again in different bars onboard) each and every server offered a double and said it was no problem ringing them up that way.

I've had e4 on several cruises. At dinner, every wine steward was able to take an order for three glasses of wine, three varieties, at the top of the meal. A different wine would arrive with the appropriate course. It was great, and I was on open seating with different wine stewards each night.