Azura to Fjords - DIY!

OrianaOf1995

Hi all :)

Going to be doing the Fjords cruise on 08/09 on the Azura.

I've done some research, but would like to have some help from you Fjords vets who have been there and done it!

I was thinking of doing the below:

Stavenger

Pulpit rock via a local boat?

I imagine this would be easy to find when asking the locals or easy to see from the port, but any information as to where this is would be appreciated :)

How long does the ferry take to Pulpit Rock and back?

Flam

Only thing really though of here would be the railway, I've seen the price on P&O and saw it looks easy to do DIY.

I've heard this gets quite busy? Is it so busy we wouldn't be able to get on?

Is it in walking distance from where Azura will berth/tender to?

Olden

Booked Kayaking via P&O for here, but wanted to potentially see the Briksdale Glacier - I saw a bus is available from the port. Whats the timings like on getting there and back?

Bergen

Booked the funicular here as looks nice and easy :)

Any help appreciated and apologies if there's another section to put this in...

:)

Pulpit rock v easy good choice

Flam railway is the one. See if you can check how many ships are in. If only you then leg it to the station and you will be ok. If Port is busy prebook it .

Olden glacier has retreated so far it is not so great. Don’t expect lovely blue glacie, more a dirty blob a long way away. But it is a nice walk.

Bergen stroll around do the funicular. Buy some fish at the market. Lovely place.

Pulpit rock v easy good choice

Flam railway is the one. See if you can check how many ships are in. If only you then leg it to the station and you will be ok. If Port is busy prebook it .

Olden glacier has retreated so far it is not so great. Don’t expect lovely blue glacie, more a dirty blob a long way away. But it is a nice walk.

Bergen stroll around do the funicular. Buy some fish at the market. Lovely place.

A second vote here for buying a fish salad lunch at the fish market before getting on the funicular. Expensive but worth it and there are places at the top to sit with your lunch and enjoy the view.

If you've feeling energetic the walk back down takes a while but is fairly easy.

My father in law has been trying to book Flam railway for weeks, fully booked both through P&O and direct, but that is for next week. Hopefully it won’t be as busy when you go.

Just be aware departure time from Bergen can be quite early if last port of call, so don’t overstretch yourselves.

Have a fantastic time,

Andy

We gave the Flam railway a miss, based on a number of reviews which stated that it gets very crowded and, while there are some great views a lot of time is also spent in tunnels etc. We did the fjord safari instead, which was fantastic! The ships docks in the centre of Flam and you can easily walk to either.

In Bergen I prebooked tickets for the funicular because the queue to the ticket office gets very long indeed. You can do this easily online. After that, we visited the fish market which is quite an experience and bought a couple of beers in a bar/restaurant on the quayside (at £11 for just over a pint, probably the most expensive we have ever bought, but well worth it for the experience and we were fully aware of the cost beforehand).

Have a great time - you will love it!

We took the bus with Olden Adventure to the glacier. While it is retreating, the journey there and the walk up is spectacular and well worth it. I do believe, however, that there is a public bus service from Olden to the glacier, which probably works out cheaper and you won't be restricted on time (if you use Olden Adventure, you only get 3 hours at the glacier).

In Stavanger, we just walked around and did our own thing. The old town is very pretty.

I did did a Vision boat trip though the Naeroyfjord to Gundvangen via Visit Flam. Beautiful trip, stunnng scenery and a shuttle bus return. The boat is electrically powered and so is quiet as you glide through the fjord. Highly recommended.

In Olden I booked the Loen Sky Lift with shuttle bus. Amazing views from the top. Booked through Olden Adventure, similar price to P&O but you can stay there as lng as you like, you don't get much time there on the ship’s tour.

Again highly recommended.

I did the Glacier tour last year and agree that it has receded so much there is little there but the scenery is beautiful on the way there and back but definitely preferred the sky lift.