Dress Code on Britannia

Cruisin'cockney

My first P&O cruise will be in December and I am concerned that I might fall foul of the dress code on formal nights. We have 4 formal/Black Tie nights on our cruise and I am unsure whether these are compulsory or optional. With relatively small baggage allowances I am not sure I can safely transport a full dinner suit and accessories.

Do I need to worry about this if I want to eat in the MDR’s or Premium restaurants? If so, what do fellow UK cruisers do to safely transport formal wear when flying with one piece/23 KG baggage allowances? If I decide to not take a dinner suit what will be my dining options? Advice, please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most importantly, just enjoy your holiday whichever way you are comfortable with.

To my knowledge, for the MDR you need to dress up, either DJ or suit and tie on formal nights. I believe select restaurants do not have a dress code, even on formal nights. The Limelight on Britannia was great with no dress code.

Although you don’t want to spend your cruise washing clothes, the on board laundry service is very good. The buffet and beach house do not mind what you wear, just no swimwear.

Have a fantastic time.

Andy

My first P&O cruise will be in December and I am concerned that I might fall foul of the dress code on formal nights. We have 4 formal/Black Tie nights on our cruise and I am unsure whether these are compulsory or optional. With relatively small baggage allowances I am not sure I can safely transport a full dinner suit and accessories.

Do I need to worry about this if I want to eat in the MDR’s or Premium restaurants? If so' date=' what do fellow UK cruisers do to safely transport formal wear when flying with one piece/23 KG baggage allowances? If I decide to not take a dinner suit what will be my dining options? Advice, please.

Whatever some people say P&O is still quite formal, well on the formal nights. In my experience 90% to 95% of my will be in a DJ and the rest in a suit. When in the Caribbean you can save on other clothes for daytime wear. You don’t need much shirts and shorts. When there buy a few tropical shirts on shore, very light and easy to pack.

Enjoy.

My husband wore a pale blue suit, navy shirt and stripey tie and brown shoes on both of the formal nights. We had no problem accessing all areas of the ship. He was a little bit worried that he might be “told off”.

He actually looked like he was going to a wedding as blue suits seem to be in the fashion at the moment

Before I bought a dj I had grey ‘office’ trousers with white shirt, tie and blazer. In fact what I wore to the office most days. Then swapped tie for bow tie. Even better. Now I take 5 bow ties and swap them around as appropriate. On Cunard I bought a striped blazer which a young pretty waitress in local restaurant told me was gorgeous.

Whatever some people say P&O is still quite formal, well on the formal nights. In my experience 90% to 95% of my will be in a DJ and the rest in a suit. When in the Caribbean you can save on other clothes for daytime wear. You don’t need much shirts and shorts. When there buy a few tropical shirts on shore, very light and easy to pack.

Enjoy.

I agree, that's also been our experience.

DJ or suit will be fine, make it part of you cruising experience and enjoy.

Don't worry I am sure you will have a great time.

BTW, welcome to P&O :)

If you want to take part in the formal activities take a suit, it is more flexible than a dinner jacket and you can wear the trousers on other evenings. You can be more adventurous with the shirts and ties as well.

It is entirely possible to enjoy a cruise on P&O ships without taking formal wear, You won't be able to use the main dining room and some other pay restaurants and a bar or two on formal nights but all the main public venues will be open to you.

I take formal wear if I have a specific reason for dining formally otherwise I go casual.

Another thought that hopefully will not get me put in the brig. Something like Black sketchers that have a black everything(sole etc), with black laces. That will do you fine during the day, but also should do you on formal nights as well (saving on a posh pair of shoes, and weigh a lot lot less). People tend to look at the top bits, rarely pay attention to the bottom bits...and as long as all black, will people know the difference.

If you want to take part in the formal activities take a suit, it is more flexible than a dinner jacket and you can wear the trousers on other evenings. You can be more adventurous with the shirts and ties as well.

It is entirely possible to enjoy a cruise on P&O ships without taking formal wear, You won't be able to use the main dining room and some other pay restaurants and a bar or two on formal nights but all the main public venues will be open to you.

I take formal wear if I have a specific reason for dining formally otherwise I go casual.

All pay restaurants are smart casual every night. Some will wear formal because the like to fit in with rest of the ship, and does not restrict their choice of venue pre or post dinner.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am feeling a little more relaxed about this now. I am used to NCL freestyle where any dressing up is completely optional. What are people’s experiences regarding transporting of suits in a suit carrier on TUI airlines in the cabin rather then the hold. Surely they are too big and will need to go in the hold?

Thanks for the replies so far. I am feeling a little more relaxed about this now. I am used to NCL freestyle where any dressing up is completely optional. What are people’s experiences regarding transporting of suits in a suit carrier on TUI airlines in the cabin rather then the hold. Surely they are too big and will need to go in the hold?

Hand luggage in the cabin is stated as 1 piece max 5kg (measurements on personaliser) pp. Many will come up with all sorts of ways of getting round the system (personally never felt the need) or say they have got away with taking additional bags etc etc but others including us have witnessed TUI and TC staff enforcing the advice strictly and asking the ladies in particular to put handbags into other cabin bag leading to some passengers having to put stuff into their hold bag. The funniest is seeing some folk turning up with cabin bags that are obviously over the requested cabin size and then get really angry when challenged by the staff (I have no idea why - the measurements are clear enough). I think it's a matter of luck whether its enforced strictly but don't be surprised if it is. In the end, cabin space is limited on the plane so they have to limit what they allow people to take so everyone gets a fair share. I just fold 2 suits in my hold luggage and they are fine after being hung up for a while. If hold luggage weight is an issue, additional KGs can be purchased direct from the airline.