Diabetic emergency kit

pls5286

my husband and I are settling on the Epic in December. I am now a brittle diabetic and in my bag of tricks I have a glucagon emergency kit, which has a big needle. Much bigger than the needles I give my insulin with. Does anyone have any experience with taking these on and off the ship since the needles are so much larger than diabetic needles? I'm going to email special needs on Monday.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Forums mobile app

my husband and I are settling on the Epic in December. I am now a brittle diabetic and in my bag of tricks I have a glucagon emergency kit, which has a big needle. Much bigger than the needles I give my insulin with. Does anyone have any experience with taking these on and off the ship since the needles are so much larger than diabetic needles? I'm going to email special needs on Monday.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Forums mobile app

As with other meds or medical equipment, make sure that you have a letter from your physician just in case you are ever questioned about your actual need. It should state the names of meds and that they are "medically necessary".

Have the pharmacy label on any drug/device, showing your name.

And then yes, let Special Needs at the cruise line know.

They'll probably want to make sure you have a "sharps" disposal unit, to protect others cleaning your cabin/suite, etc.

And CARRY these items with you; do NOT check them. (That is, don't let them out of your eyesight!)

We have a variety of meds that we need to carry, and that bag stays with one of us at all times, until we are in a room/etc., that we can lock.

Even then, we keep these things in a locked suitcase or such.

It's not that it's of value to others, but it would be *bad* if we were without it, and I assume the same for your medical supplies.

Some are things we take/use regularly; others are "in case of need", when they could be life-saving.

The cruise line should be well familiar with almost all such medical needs.

GC

If you are flying to the ship be sure you will be OK with TSA with the needle. And do exactly as GC said with clear and complete documentation and labeled meds.

I carry 14 different meds and do what GC says, clearly labeled meds in separate containers. I've never been stopped or questioned, but with the way things are these days you can't be too careful.