Is the water drinkable on Carnival Dream?

leekh

Can you drink the water from the tap/faucet on the Carnival Dream? What about the water at the dining areas like Lido or MDR? Do we need to drink hot water instead? I see several post where people purchase bottled water from the Fun Shop. Our family drink a lot of water.

Can you drink the water from the tap/faucet on the Carnival Dream? What about the water at the dining areas like Lido or MDR? Do we need to drink hot water instead? I see several post where people purchase bottled water from the Fun Shop. Our family drink a lot of water.

The drinking water on the ship is safe. It has to be or they wouldn't be able to use it. However, I just saw a documentary (about Carnival as a matter of fact). The documentary showed how they desalinate sea water for use on board. I have drank the tap water and it tastes OK but not like the drinking water at home. I have now decided to buy the bottled water and keep in the "fridge" in the cabin.

The drinking water on the ship is safe. It has to be or they wouldn't be able to use it. However, I just saw a documentary (about Carnival as a matter of fact). The documentary showed how they desalinate sea water for use on board. I have drank the tap water and it tastes OK but not like the drinking water at home. I have now decided to buy the bottled water and keep in the "fridge" in the cabin.

Do you bring bottled water with you to dinner on the ship? I guess some people must, but I've never noticed. I think cruisers are all drinking tap water and don't even realize it :)

We were on the Dream a couple of years ago and found the water had a strange taste to it so bought bottled water the entire trip. It was the only ship we have had to do it for out of eight different ships. We are on the Dream again this January and hope it’s not the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:) The tap water is fine and a lot of it is filtered. Also it dose not have the chemical particles that the plastic bottles are known to add to the water. Been drinking the ships water for years and I'm still here. Don't sweat the small stuff just have fun.

Do you think they will have unsafe water to drink?:o:o:o

I have wondered about this as well as I drink tons of water. I have ordered a pkg of water bottles for the cabin but may order more. Friends of ours that have gone on many cruises have told us it depends where the ship ports. Since we are sailing out of San Juan, they have said that the ship will fill up with water there and to not drink it as that area doesn't have good water. Anyone have similar experience?

I drink tap water at home all the time & I think the ship's water from the tap tastes odd. I drink it anyway because I know it's safe. Since I don't feel the water in the dining room or on Lido tastes odd, I think it may just be the taste stands out more at room temperature than iced down. It's no different than going to another city & tasting the difference between your hometown water & theirs. We usually order a 12pack of water from the fun shops. That just gives us a bottle to carry into port & if for some reason we lose it, we're not losing a water bottle from home that we spent money on. And even that water has an odd taste to it, to me. Again, I feel it is safe, so I just try to get used to the taste.

I drink water from the tap, and find it to be exactly water. I use it in my CPAP where it is also perfectly water. You will find that it not only gets you wet, but it can have either a cooling or warming effect depending on how you adjust the dispenser levers.

All cruise lines will only give you water that is poisonous!

The water on ships are fine. It comes from the earth. Sometimes, the water tanks are topped off from the port it is docked. When it runs out of water, desalination plants on board take over. Many cities use desalination plants on land also. Basically, it is handled the same way your city water is handled but it usually is better.

I heard that the ship's taps are positively FULL of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) - an odorless, colorless liquid. It's also called Hydric Acid!

It is a major component of acid rain, and inhaling even small quantities can result in death!

I have wondered about this as well as I drink tons of water. I have ordered a pkg of water bottles for the cabin but may order more. Friends of ours that have gone on many cruises have told us it depends where the ship ports. Since we are sailing out of San Juan, they have said that the ship will fill up with water there and to not drink it as that area doesn't have good water. Anyone have similar experience?

Despite what many believe on CC, it costs more to bunker water from shore than it does to make it onboard, so ships will only load water in port if the itinerary does not allow sufficient time at sea to make all the water needed. Water loaded in port, must be certified, within the last month, to meet either EPA or WHO standards for safe drinking water, and this test must have been done at the hydrants being used to load water, not a generic municipal water board report. Further, the water is chlorinated to 4ppm (typically higher than all municipalities) before it goes into the ship's tanks. Then, the water must be kept segregated, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test on the water comes back negative, and this takes 18-24 hours.

I drink tap water at home all the time & I think the ship's water from the tap tastes odd. I drink it anyway because I know it's safe. Since I don't feel the water in the dining room or on Lido tastes odd, I think it may just be the taste stands out more at room temperature than iced down. It's no different than going to another city & tasting the difference between your hometown water & theirs. We usually order a 12pack of water from the fun shops. That just gives us a bottle to carry into port & if for some reason we lose it, we're not losing a water bottle from home that we spent money on. And even that water has an odd taste to it, to me. Again, I feel it is safe, so I just try to get used to the taste.

The difference between the water in your cabin sink and the water in the dining room or buffet is that in the latter locations, as well as the bar guns and ice makers, there are carbon filters on the equipment to filter out the chlorine, because the chlorine can form scale in the equipment (not for taste improvement). The water circulating around the ship (and unlike municipalities, the water is in constant circulation, not stagnant in underground pipes until you turn on the tap) must be constantly chlorinated until there is a residual chlorine content of 0.5ppm at the furthest point from the injection point. Your municipality chlorinates, and then sends the water into the piping system, where it sits and the chlorine dissipates naturally, so there is usually no residual chlorine in the water coming from the tap at home. You can replicate this by filling a pitcher of water from your cabin sink, and letting it stand open on the counter or in the "fridge" for a couple of hours, and the chlorine, and its taste will dissipate.

We always drink the ship water instead of buying water (the whole concept of buying water seems weird to those of us who lived before bottled water became a thing. To me buying water is the biggest con ever). I've never noticed any sort of off taste whatsoever on any of the ships. It tastes just like... uh, water. It may lack some of the impurities of spring water and the like, which I suppose might alter the taste a bit. That seems like a good thing to me.

We always drink the ship water instead of buying water (the whole concept of buying water seems weird to those of us who lived before bottled water became a thing. To me buying water is the biggest con ever). I've never noticed any sort of off taste whatsoever on any of the ships. It tastes just like... uh, water. It may lack some of the impurities of spring water and the like, which I suppose might alter the taste a bit. That seems like a good thing to me.

I don't buy water on the ship either. But I prefer the bottled water that is included in my Cheers package. It was a total bummer on NCL as we didn't know they didn't include bottled water in the package. In which case, we just drank from the water containers at the bars. But bottled water is just simply more convenient and if it's included at no additional cost, then why not?

I don't buy water on the ship either. But I prefer the bottled water that is included in my Cheers package. It was a total bummer on NCL as we didn't know they didn't include bottled water in the package. In which case, we just drank from the water containers at the bars. But bottled water is just simply more convenient and if it's included at no additional cost, then why not?
Sure, as long as it is free... as water, imho, should be. But that's just me. If folks want to buy water it's nothing to me. I just don't do it. I just wish I was the guy that decided to put water in bottles and see if people would pay for it. :D