Amber Cove Damajagua Waterfalls

DADDYOFTHE7SEAZ

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're taking the Magic next week, and wanted to do the falls on our own like you did. Did it take you 2 hours to get out to the taxis because of the lines getting out, or did you guys just not go out immediately after docking?

So the ship left Amber Cove late that day? I would have been really freaked out if I was still at the falls when the ship was supposed to leave. What happens when you get there by taxi? Are there guides there ready to take you, and so you just join whatever group is there at the time?

FWIW, we just got off of the Magic this morning and the trip to the falls by taxi is just as described.

We were in port approx 9:30 to 3:30pm and didn't get out to the taxi line until around 11:30am. We talked to a taxi driver who quoted the $100 round trip fee and he would wait for us. We got to the falls and there was a huge group of about 30-40 people from a Carnival excursion who had already suited up.

Our taxi driver quickly got us the equipment and got us into this group. I assume it was one of the last groups of the days (was around noon thirty at this point), just cause of the time and the fact that we had to be back on the boat in 3 hours.

We did the 45 min hike with a couple rest stops and then got into a huge log jam with others. There must have been 100's of cruisers at our first water fall. I think some of them were coming down from falls higher up. It took quite a bit of time to get thru our 7 falls. By the time we got done, it was after 3:30 but were very comfortable knowing we were with 100's others from the ship.

We got back to the ship around 4:30 beating the buses. We ended up giving our driver $180 which took care of the $100 ride plus $13x4 falls admission. $10 tip for the guides at the falls.

If I ever went back I would probably find a way to miss all of the crowds. It did get pretty chilly standing in the cold water or shade waiting for 100's of people to go down the slides and jumps.

I did the falls in December through carnival and loved it. I will do it again in June but I will probably use an outside company to do at least 12, if not all 27 falls. We had plenty of time in port as well.

How was the water ? I'm going this December and haven't seen anything about the water temps.

How was the water ? I'm going this December and haven't seen anything about the water temps.

Water temps were very chilly like a cold swimming pool. Make sure you get a big enough life vest. Mine was a tight fit. With the tightness of the vest and extremely chilly waters a few times I hit the water and couldn't catch my breath, almost like hyperventilating. I'm of average shape and a excellent swimmer. No fear of drowning or anything like that. I would surface from the jump and dog paddled till one of the guides could assist me to were I could stand and move on to the next jump.

How safe do you think this was? I heard not to go if it has been raining a couple days earlier, there have been a few drownings due to high water velocity. Did you think it was pretty rough or hard to surface for decent swimmers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you jump into the water or slide into water? Need a bathing suit?

What are the jumps and slides?

There are some where you jump and others where you slide. The highest jump is maybe 8 feet or so, most are much less. They do have ways around most of them, if you aren’t comfortable with a particular jump / slide.

Shorts and a t-shirt are fine if you don’t want to wear a bathing suit. Anything you don’t mind getting wet is fine. I would wear water shoes or shoes you don’t mind getting wet.

We are doing this trip thru Carnival. I know you were bathing suit and water shoes on the actual excursion. My question is can you bring a backpack with the ship towel and clothes to change into after your done? If so, where do they or can you store your stuff and things like your S&S card and money if needed to keep that stuff safe and dry?

Edited by Robpuffdaddy

We did this in March. I don't think my 8 year old could handle it. But everyone is different. The jumps would have scared him. There are some way bigger than 8 feet. (not sure if that person who posted that did all 27).

We went thru iguana mama. I joined their facebook page before hand. I saw that They cancelled a few trips due to rain. It made me feel comfortable that they are willing to give up the much needed money to ensure safety. They were great.

• 3 weeks later...

This my be a stupid question...do you have to be a good swimmer for this adventure? My husband is great...me, not so much. I am also slightly terrified of heights, but I know my husband would really enjoy the 27 falls experience. It looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks!

This my be a stupid question...do you have to be a good swimmer for this adventure? My husband is great...me, not so much. I am also slightly terrified of heights, but I know my husband would really enjoy the 27 falls experience. It looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks!

Not at all! Everyone wears a life jacket and you are basically floating along - or walking through the river bed - depending on the water depth.

From the research I have done, you don’t want to go if it has been raining. Water levels can get high and dangerous currents. Even good swimmers need to be pulled by the guides in these conditions.

Very helpful...thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Not at all! Everyone wears a life jacket and you are basically floating along - or walking through the river bed - depending on the water depth.

I've booked this excursion with DSRR and I was curious if you brought along towels and a change of clothes etc? If so where did you leave it while touring the falls?

Anything else I should know about DSRR?

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an excursion that could be booked at the port through one of the independent guides (like Mama Iguana) or if it has to be booked in advance?  It is our first port stop and we aren't sure if we want to do something this active right off the bat.  :)  I know some ports have the ability to book some excursions right near where the ship is docked but hadn't seen anyone mention anything about Amber Cove.  TIA!

On 10/16/2018 at 10:35 AM, HangryGrl said:

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an excursion that could be booked at the port through one of the independent guides (like Mama Iguana) or if it has to be booked in advance?  It is our first port stop and we aren't sure if we want to do something this active right off the bat.  🙂 I know some ports have the ability to book some excursions right near where the ship is docked but hadn't seen anyone mention anything about Amber Cove.  TIA!

Like Mahogany Bay in Roatan, they do not allow the private vendors into the port area, so you have to walk through the port and out to the main highway to meet the tour operators.They do allow the private vendors in to drop off returning tours, so the walk back is not as far.  It’s a fairly long walk and I’m not sure they have anyone selling tours, although there were taxis available. It would probably be best to book a tour in advance, if you really want to do the tour.

• 1 month later...

I just filled out the price match for this fingers crossed I get it.  My question is do I need to do one for each person or one per booking?  I was also curious about if there is a place to leave bags/towels while climbing?  Is there a changing room t get out of the wet clothes at the end of the tour?  

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 8:18 AM, Kelsey D said:

My family did all 27 waterfalls last week, and I estimate that we were onsite about 4 hours from drop off to pick up by taxi. The hike itself was 45 minutes and well worth it. We paid $100 USD round trip for a taxi and about $14 USD per person for the tour. We did not purchase the lunch.

I’m so glad that we did all 27. We had the first 15 to ourselves, and when we hit the wall of people at 12 (there had to be over 100 people waiting in line for their turn to jump), our guides led us to the front of the line. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3115.thumb.jpg.c6cdded24891b3ac8d246513d16ec62f.jpg

IMG_3116.thumb.jpg.bc6db3fb1e8ab5abf883d0c41d7fbdc9.jpg

IMG_3119.thumb.jpg.2601c0937ff59eccdd97489b9f43d436.jpg

IMG_3121.thumb.jpg.8820f1e72c0758f3f47fed4bd2acc3e5.jpg

IMG_3122.thumb.jpg.a6e09a80f6b186c9dcba569f6f1cef1c.jpg

Question for you Kelsey D...we are considering going the route of just getting a taxi and heading to the falls on our own. When you got to the lower falls that were crowded with the other tours how did your guides manage getting you to the front of the line? Is this something they are accustomed to doing for the much smaller groups who get a guide directly from the park? I’m 99% sure this is the route we want to go especially if it means getting to pass the masses of people in the lower falls is guaranteed because the guides from the park do this automatically when you’re not with a larger tour. 

7 hours ago, rinzler78 said:

Question for you Kelsey D...we are considering going the route of just getting a taxi and heading to the falls on our own. When you got to the lower falls that were crowded with the other tours how did your guides manage getting you to the front of the line? Is this something they are accustomed to doing for the much smaller groups who get a guide directly from the park? I’m 99% sure this is the route we want to go especially if it means getting to pass the masses of people in the lower falls is guaranteed because the guides from the park do this automatically when you’re not with a larger tour. 

When we arrived, they grouped us with another family that was doing all 27, and we were assigned two guides, one to lead and one to trail the group. From what I understand, when you book through a tour company, at least one guide is assigned from the park itself; so every group, whether booked through a tour company or directly at the park, is officially led by a guide from the park. The guides all knew each other and worked together. What they were doing for us seemed customary. Nobody questioned it, and even the waiting tourists didn’t seemed phased by it. I can’t guarantee that they do this for every group, but they sure did make it seem like business as usual. I suspect that not too many opt for all 27 on any given day, so it’s probably not too disruptive to let a small group go to the front of the line when this happens. I am so thankful that we went this route. It was easy and less expensive; though, I’d be willing to pay more for this experience over that of a tour group. That’s just our preference though. Best of luck in your planning, and enjoy yourselves whichever route you decide!

Edited by Kelsey D

On 3/23/2018 at 8:18 AM, Kelsey D said:

My family did all 27 waterfalls last week, and I estimate that we were onsite about 4 hours from drop off to pick up by taxi. The hike itself was 45 minutes and well worth it. We paid $100 USD round trip for a taxi and about $14 USD per person for the tour. We did not purchase the lunch.

Kelsey - how did you and your daughter find the water temps?  I'll be there in early March and am wondering if I should wear my wetsuit top.  I actually just bought it to bring on my next cruise because I get cold even when I'm snorkeling for 30 - 45 minutes, so hoping it will help a little.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, RW_MI said:

Kelsey - how did you and your daughter find the water temps?  I'll be there in early March and am wondering if I should wear my wetsuit top.  I actually just bought it to bring on my next cruise because I get cold even when I'm snorkeling for 30 - 45 minutes, so hoping it will help a little.  Thanks.

In March, it was...refreshing. You don’t really have time to think about it once you start, and after you take that first plunge, it’s fine. We weren’t uncomfortable at all, but it was definitely chillier than my preferred 80 degree water temp. I wore a long-sleeve bathing suit top. A wetsuit top isn’t a bad idea if you’re prone to being cold in water. 

Edited by Kelsey D

We were there in November and found the water temperature fine.  Kind of refreshing like we would find swimming in our local lakes here in BC during the summer.

The walk up to the start of the falls will get your blood pumping.  You won't want to do that in a wet suit, but I guess you could carry it if you want.  Frankly, I was far more concerned about the jumps into a narrow ravine and slides down a rock waterslide - hitting the water safely was a relief and the part we enjoyed the most.

Don

• 3 months later...