Vancouver Tips

Nic9Fingers

I think you need more than one night....

Day 1: Grouse and Capilano

[YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Day 2: Hop on Shuttles to Gastown, Granville Island and Stanley Park

[YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE]

Day 3: Whistler w/ Peak 2 Peak

Day 4: Victoria w/ Butchart?

Day 5: Seattle?

With regards to hotels.... Vancouver has lots of hotels for all budgets. It's a relatively compact downtown. $10 cab fare will reach all hotels. Do you have a tentative hotel date? I can make some suggestions with prices and availability.

Definitely Stanley Park and the cable car up Grouse Mtn. If you have the time and means, visit the largest Chinatown in Richmond for authentic food.

Vancouver is a gem, certainly worth a few days stay.

We are going to spend two weeks in Alaska so, we can not afford the time to extend the stay in Vancouver. Cable car up the mountain sounds like breathtaking views of the area and we can definitively plan a meal in Chinatown. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you need more than one night....

Day 1: Grouse and Capilano

[YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Day 2: Hop on Shuttles to Gastown, Granville Island and Stanley Park

[YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE]

Day 3: Whistler w/ Peak 2 Peak

Day 4: Victoria w/ Butchart?

Day 5: Seattle?

We would like to spend more time in Vancouver but, we will be spending two weeks in Alaska so we cannot afford extra time. Thank you for the points of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family will end our Alaskan Cruisetour in Vancouver. We are spending an extra night in Vancouver. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions? Also, does anyone have suggestions for must see/do activities in Vancouver?

Depending on the makeup of your family, the YWCA Hotel might be the perfect accommodation for you (rooms with up to 5 beds, adjoining rooms that share a 'Jack & Jill' bath, as well as regular type rooms for 2).

I try to avoid 'Must See' as there's no such thing as one place or activity that literally all people enjoy. If you're a couple with young kids you might need to stick together, but if it's all adults or older kids you might find that splitting your group maximises the enjoyment of everybody. I'd start with TripAdvisor - as well as the usual popularity lists, a good place to get an idea what most folks find most enjoyable, there are many posts of 'one day in Vancouver' itineraries with subcategories including 'with kids' that could give you a good idea not just of the 'best' sites but which ones link together efficiently. The other consistently-useful advice is to have a Bad Weather plan involving indoor activities unless you have the right gear to let you stay outdoors in the rain and still enjoy yourselves (which would be a very good idea for your cruise tour as well of course).

And if any of your group is 19-20, they'll probably thank you for at least one local brewery visit - not only to get started on boozing before your domestic laws allow it, but also because you can start them off right with some real craft beer instead of mass-produced flavourless swill;-)

We are also just staying overnight in Vancouver after getting off the ship. After reading here on cc I booked a night at the Blue Horizon hotel in Vancouver. Reasonably priced (comparatively speaking) and not too far from cruise port. It was recommended quite a few times. I also checked them out on Trip Advisor.

I recommend the Pan Pacific Hotel as it is next door to the cruise port - you won't need a taxi in the morning, just check out and walk next door with your luggage. But there are many more reasons I particularly like this hotel. It has an amazing view whether you get a water view or city view room, it has great restaurants with outstanding food (book a reservation for 5 Sails for dinner - it is a great experience but I also loved Oceans 999 and the Patio Terrace). I remember dining at 5 Sails and seeing an Eagle fly by the windows over the Harbor and the absolutely spectacular view of the mountains and harbor. It has a great spa and the rooms are large and lovely with great bathrooms. There is a beautiful pool and hot tub and indoor saunas for guests to use. It is very convenient for walking around Vancouver, if your choose or take the HOHO bus. I've stayed at this hotel several times for business and also for vacation and it is such a beautiful location and property and things always go smoothly. There is an ease to this place even though it is a massive hotel. Anyway, thought you might want to consider this lovely place for your hotel.

I recommend the Pan Pacific Hotel as it is next door to the cruise port - you won't need a taxi in the morning, just check out and walk next door with your luggage. But there are many more reasons I particularly like this hotel. It has an amazing view whether you get a water view or city view room, it has great restaurants with outstanding food (book a reservation for 5 Sails for dinner - it is a great experience but I also loved Oceans 999 and the Patio Terrace). I remember dining at 5 Sails and seeing an Eagle fly by the windows over the Harbor and the absolutely spectacular view of the mountains and harbor. It has a great spa and the rooms are large and lovely with great bathrooms. There is a beautiful pool and hot tub and indoor saunas for guests to use. It is very convenient for walking around Vancouver, if your choose or take the HOHO bus. I've stayed at this hotel several times for business and also for vacation and it is such a beautiful location and property and things always go smoothly. There is an ease to this place even though it is a massive hotel. Anyway, thought you might want to consider this lovely place for your hotel.

Yes, we love this hotel but it is very pricey ;)

Vancouver is a great city. We were there in October and had a lot of fun. In fact, we've been giving some thought to moving there after I retire. We stayed at the Delta. Nice hotel, nice rooms, moderately priced. Poor food. Within walking distance from the cruise terminal.

Stanley Park has already been mentioned-- a quick way to see a lot is to rent bikes and "circumnavigate" the park on the wonderful seaside bike path that goes all around it. And I also second the motion for Granville Island-- the food hall alone makes it worth a visit.

In Chinatown, seek out the Dr Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden-- a walled oasis of quiet calm and beauty, including architectural beauty, in the midst of a busy modern city.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154943-d186963-Reviews-Dr_Sun_Yat_Sen_Classical_Chinese_Garden-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Edited by jeph
add link