Knitting and crocheting on a cruise

gepgelmik

With October looming, I'm now starting to think about what I want to take on my 10 day cruise in December. As anyone addicted to knitting/crocheting knows, the first and lengthiest step of packing is deciding what crafting supplies to take. Should I take the cheap needles I don't really enjoy working with just in case? Should I take only mindless projects in case I'm distracted? Will people leave me in peace if I knit in public, or will I get interrupted by people asking me questions about what I'm doing and if they can have it and if I'll make something for them?

Any knitters/crocheters who take their projects along with them on cruises? What do you take and what are some of your experiences?

Edited by gepgelmik

I read/listen to music on headphones in the library or lounge on NCL ships. The vast majority of passengers will respect your space and let you knit in peace.

Amateur knitter, but I think I'll take some projects along on the next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be plenty of places, such as on the promenade deck, where you can sit quietly and enjoy your knitting. I highly doubt anyone will stop and ask you to give them what you are making or to make something for them. Most people on cruises are concerned with what they are doing, not what others are doing, and certainly not with having you do something for them.

Enjoy your cruise.

I take handwork on every cruise. I crochet potholders with bedspread weight cotton, and I always have a completed one along in case someone asks what I am making. I have been on longer cruisers where there were informal meetings of needleworkers on sea days. Knitting socks was very popular on one cruise. EM

I've crocheted in many places during my travels. Never has anyone asked me to make them something. At worst, I've been pleasantly interrupted by other knitters and crocheters interested in what I was making. At Half Moon Bay I (accidentally) started a yarn circle with the spouses of conference attendees.

If you do not mind the interruptions then sit in a high traffic area. (This is how I got a quick lesson in knitting two socks at the same time on a circular needle.) If you do not want interruptions then be like the gal we saw onboard -crocheting an afghan in the far corner of the atrium while the Halloween party was going on.

ETA--I'd bring needles that work well for me and the yarn. Lousy needles will prevent you from enjoying your craft.

Edited by SadieN

With October looming, I'm now starting to think about what I want to take on my 10 day cruise in December. As anyone addicted to knitting/crocheting knows, the first and lengthiest step of packing is deciding what crafting supplies to take. Should I take the cheap needles I don't really enjoy working with just in case? Should I take only mindless projects in case I'm distracted? Will people leave me in peace if I knit in public, or will I get interrupted by people asking me questions about what I'm doing and if they can have it and if I'll make something for them?

Any knitters/crocheters who take their projects along with them on cruises? What do you take and what are some of your experiences?

I'm a knitter/crocheter, but I just can't bring myself to bring such things along on a cruise. I find it difficult to do this when my hands are sweaty (makes things dirty, and yarn doesn't slide easily through my fingers). And on a cruise, the probiblity of sweaty hands is pretty high. And it would cut into my packing space.

On Princess cruises, they often have a dedicated time and place for sewists like you to meet up, called "knitters and knatters". I was there once when I had some beading to do. I see them in what seems like a congenial group working and meeting each other. It's a good thing Princess does, I think.

Only one cruise so far for me, but I always take my knitting when I travel, mainly because I find it's far more portable than some of my other craft projects (I'm also a bear maker, and I suspect the very sharp, pointy scissors I use might just be frowned upon ;) )

Most airlines explicitly state that knitting needles are a "permitted item" in carry on, so you shouldn't have any issue if you're flying to meet your cruise, and as paluni said, there is a space/time provided on Princess (at least on my cruise...though sounds like it's a common thing?). I try to pick a project that works well on IC circulars as I find them easier to pack - and figure that if worst comes to worst and security somewhere does decide to confiscate my needles, I can detach them from the cable and keep my work. I always put my work in carry on so that there's no risk of it ending up in a different location to myself

Will people leave me in peace if I knit in public, or will I get interrupted by people asking me questions about what I'm doing and if they can have it and if I'll make something for them?

You think a total stranger is going to ask you to make them something? No one cares what you are doing.

Edited by 6rugrats

I usually take some knitting along unless I am on a short, port-intensive cruise. People have stopped by to ask what I am making but they have always been polite and it is a great way to meet people. I take projects that I can do pretty much "without thinking" in case I get interrupted.

Hello all. I learned to crochet last year. I crochet different snowflakes and ask for a donation near Christmas time, when i set up a table at a Christmas fair in my local village. The money i receive from these snowflakes i give to a charity that helps those in our village who are less fortunate than myself.

I do take my crochet on a cruise and on sea days i sit and spend some time on this project. Some people are very surprised and i do hear some negative comments passed,but others are genuinely interested and when they learn what i am doing a few have asked if they can take a snowflake and leave a donation.

A lot of the negative comments i believe are because they are looking at a Man sitting and crocheting,but i enjoy it and it's for a worthy cause.

Hello all. I learned to crochet last year. I crochet different snowflakes and ask for a donation near Christmas time, when i set up a table at a Christmas fair in my local village. The money i receive from these snowflakes i give to a charity that helps those in our village who are less fortunate than myself.

I do take my crochet on a cruise and on sea days i sit and spend some time on this project. Some people are very surprised and i do hear some negative comments passed,but others are genuinely interested and when they learn what i am doing a few have asked if they can take a snowflake and leave a donation.

A lot of the negative comments i believe are because they are looking at a Man sitting and crocheting,but i enjoy it and it's for a worthy cause.

When my wife learned to crochet, I wanted her to also learn to knit so she could make me a sweater. She refused, so I taught myself to knit and made my own. And one for our daughter. And I got half way through making one for my wife before I ran out of free time in my daily life. Last January I made a mobius cowl (like an infinity scarf, but not as long and made on circular needles instead of a long scarf with the ends sewn together).

I think it's great that you crochet snowflakes for charity. Keep doing what you enjoy and don't let the negative people change your mind :)

You think a total stranger is going to ask you to make them something? No one cares what you are doing.

Total strangers have indeed bothered me before and been annoyingly persistent about getting me to make something for them, either for free or for money. I think it should be obvious that I've had that experience if I'm concerned enough about it to post about it.

Another thing I've experienced is that it's more pleasant for all involved if those who don't have anything pleasant or useful to say simply respond to a topic that they can contribute more to.

I read about a P&O ship calling all knitters to meet up, after the disaster in Nepal, and knit warm winter clothes for children..many of the crew were from Nepal, and had family struggling back home. Since then, other knitters have met on their cruises to make baby clothes which can be left with charities at ports of call.

I did read that there was a request from that line, for knitting needles not to be placed in hand luggage, but in secure suitcases, so I presume there's been some piercings through soft bags! :rolleyes:

I emailed RC to make sure there were no special rules/guidelines regarding knitting needles and they just responded that they're allowed. I did read that any scissors have to have blades no greater than 3 or 4 inches in length.

jocap- that's a good point about soft-sided bags!

I'm a knitter/crocheter, but I just can't bring myself to bring such things along on a cruise. I find it difficult to do this when my hands are sweaty (makes things dirty, and yarn doesn't slide easily through my fingers). And on a cruise, the probiblity of sweaty hands is pretty high. And it would cut into my packing space.

Oh no! Why would hands be sweaty on a cruise? We're cruising in December and I've heard ships are pretty cold, so I assumed I'd be chilly most of the time (except for port days).

I laughed when I read what you said about packing space because I'm the total opposite. I always feel like my clothes and stuff cut into the space I need for my yarn!

You think a total stranger is going to ask you to make them something?...

I thought the same thing as you.

Total strangers have indeed bothered me before and been annoyingly persistent about getting me to make something for them, either for free or for money. I think it should be obvious that I've had that experience if I'm concerned enough about it to post about it.

Well, it's just that a couple of us found it interesting that strangers would bother you while you are knitting. That's just rude, but there is no reason to be rude back to them. Wouldn't your saying, "I'm just knitting for fun, not for profit." put an end to any further discussion? Sincerely asking.

On the RCI website, this is the list of prohibited items; knitting and crochet needles are not specifically mentioned by name.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Q. What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Guests are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Always bring my knitting - rarely leave the house without my small knitting bag with socks on the needle. For our 14 day TA I am thinking I need a new project to work on - though I have several on the needle that I can pack right now. I find I need to keep my hands busy and at night knitting is my Zen for relaxing to sleep.

I thought the same thing as you.

Well, it's just that a couple of us found it interesting that strangers would bother you while you are knitting. That's just rude, but there is no reason to be rude back to them. Wouldn't your saying, "I'm just knitting for fun, not for profit." put an end to any further discussion? Sincerely asking.

On the RCI website, this is the list of prohibited items; knitting and crochet needles are not specifically mentioned by name.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Q. What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Guests are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Thanks for posting this- I couldn't remember exactly where I came up with the 3 or 4 inches thing.

I started the thread to ask people about their experiences doing craft on cruises and to see if they had any tips, favorite spots, funny stories, etc....I'd really like to re-direct to that.

(As to why some people bother knitters/crocheters/cross-stitchers,etc., I have no idea.

I'm irritated by people who are annoying about asking me to make stuff for them, but not rude. The last time I knit in public I was wheedled for 30 minutes by a woman who wanted me to make booties for her dog. I had to say no several times, and even after she stopped asking she stayed and stood over me staring as I worked on a scarf. This wasn't the first time something like this has happened, and other people who do crafts have experienced it as well.)

The last time I knit in public I was wheedled for 30 minutes by a woman who wanted me to make booties for her dog. I had to say no several times, and even after she stopped asking she stayed and stood over me staring as I worked on a scarf.

Wow, that's incredible! Oh my goodness, talk about awkward. :eek:

wow, I would think that so inconsiderate to be bothering someone to make something for them, especially a stranger. Never had that happen to me...I would probably suggest they could google "booties for pets" or something and they'll find some sites selling those items. If it's someone I know who wants something that's quick and easy (back when I didn't have this tendon problem in my right hand), I might be more willing to find a pattern on line, buy some inexpensive yarn and make it (if it's someone I like). I have made sweaters to give as a baby gift and the parents really appreciate it as they known they're handmade.

Years ago when reporting to jury duty I was disappointed to arrive at the courthouse and discover that knitting needles were a no-no. Had to return the knitting to my car. the next time I reported I did switch to circular needles which were okay (and I don't mind using).

When my wife learned to crochet, I wanted her to also learn to knit so she could make me a sweater. She refused, so I taught myself to knit and made my own. And one for our daughter. And I got half way through making one for my wife before I ran out of free time in my daily life. Last January I made a mobius cowl (like an infinity scarf, but not as long and made on circular needles instead of a long scarf with the ends sewn together).

I think it's great that you crochet snowflakes for charity. Keep doing what you enjoy and don't let the negative people change your mind :)

Thanks Krozulo,

I usually take simple projects and sit & knit at MUTS, no one usually bothers me. If I don't like what's playing, then I'll pull out my iPad and watch something on it with my earphones on.

The only incident I've had of someone coming over and hassling me was during a TA cruise when I was sitting out mid morning knitting after a late breakfast. This woman came barging over and demanded to know why I wasn't coming out to the "knitters and natters" thing every morning.

I told her I was on vacation and didn't get up that early. :cool:

She looked a little confused by that and just walked away.

I have to admit that it was a courteous lie, I don't like chit chat but didn't want to risk getting into an argument with her about it. I just wanted to get back into that nice, relaxing knitting zone.

I don't consider knitting a group activity, but that's me.