This is crazy

Drill2dk

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

I totally agree!! I am SO disappointed and will not be Loyal to Royal anymore. I feel like I was had. I was told when my final payment was due that if they decided to go to San Juan and Saint Maarten I would be able to change my itinerary if I was unhappy. Now they are saying that they are putting people on a list and I may not be able to change my itinerary/sailing. I called RCCL corporate 305-539-6688 and they said that they are definitely going back to Saint Maarten as of December 1st. Other cruise lines are waiting - - Carnival late January possibly, NCL March possibly. SO concerned that the island isn't ready and that people are suffering and how does one enjoy their vacation while others are suffering. As of now I was put on a list of people that are asking for their itinerary to be changed. If enough people are concerned they are saying that they will consider other options. If you are concerned be vocal...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I am happy to donate money and or what ever is needed. RCCL should continue to support the island financially. My issue is that it seems to be too soon. Let the island heal.

RCCL playing the old bait and switch game is offensive. Don't trap me into an itinerary that I don't want my very young children to see just because RCCL says so. It should be my choice not my deposit that I lose. Shame on you RCCL...it's TOO SOON!

Call...I did!

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

It's not wrong. These islands depend on tourists. The sooner the better for them. Where do you think their money will come from without tourist $$$$???

The government of St Maarten has openly said they are ready for the cruise ships to return. Many businesses and citizens there rely on tourist dollars to survive. Things aren't 100% there obviously, but them accepting cruise ships and the $$$ that come with them will go a long ways to helping them recover. I get people's concerns/frustrations and agree continued recovery efforts are vital but if they are openly ready and asking for ships to come back then I for one am glad to spend my money there. St Maarten is one of our favorite islands and I'm looking forward to seeing them get back up and running.

Drill2dk I agree with you 1,000%. How do you visit an island that is not ready for a visit. Royal is not thinking. They want you to NOT get off the ship so they can make money onboard selling you booze. I guarantee if problems occur on the island for passengers no one will care on board. They always turn a deaf ear when problems occur on the islands.

I'm calling corporate ASAP. I want my voice to be heard. I will donate money but not my morals.

Someones disaster, is not your playground. You should donate money, not check out the sites. If my house was destroyed, I would not want to have you over for dinner. I think the cruise industry has obligation to donate money and help rebuild.

We contacted one of our favorite tour operators in St. Martin to see if they would be back in business by February, when we are scheduled to visit. His reply? That he could be back in business now, but there aren't many hotel visitors and the cruise passengers haven't returned yet. His livelihood and the livelihoods of thousands of others depend on tourists visiting and spending money locally. He can't wait for visitors to return, since it will help the island to rebuild.

And those that live on those islands may feel differently. They may welcome the influx of tourists dollars to help them get their lives back in order.

I agree with tfrcal. The local St. Maaeten newspaper last week quoted St. Marten government officials trying to convince RCI to have the Grandeur of the Seas start visiting the port on November 5, 2017.

Someones disaster, is not your playground. You should donate money, not check out the sites. If my house was destroyed, I would not want to have you over for dinner. I think the cruise industry has obligation to donate money and help rebuild.

They have no such obligation. It is a business and while you may want to impose your morality on RCCL, the company has to answer to its shareholders.

The islands need people to come and spend money. As they saying goes "money does not grow on trees". If the local governments want the ships to come and they can do so safely, the ships should go.

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?

It's not wrong. These islands depend on tourists. The sooner the better for them. Where do you think their money will come from without tourist $$$$???

People work hard and save for a vacation...It is not their role or obligation to visit a port that is not ready for that purpose. If folks want to donate that's fine but going there is another story, esp when they were told they could change and now they reneg..

Glad we cancelled as soon as we saw St Maarten was going to be on our itin...and a hewelry stire was going to be open.

We contacted one of our favorite tour operators in St. Martin to see if they would be back in business by February, when we are scheduled to visit. His reply? That he could be back in business now, but there aren't many hotel visitors and the cruise passengers haven't returned yet. His livelihood and the livelihoods of thousands of others depend on tourists visiting and spending money locally. He can't wait for visitors to return, since it will help the island to rebuild.

Very well said. I agree with your post.

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?
Are they the only cruise line going back? Or just the first ship? I believe RCL has been doing a lot of humanitarian work to all of the islands. They have been committed to rebuilding ports and the popular tourist spots so that the people there can make money. The people on these islands want the tourists back. And that is why the cruises are continuing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

At this time, there not able to take on tourism. With an influx of aprox 3500 passenger, on a ship. They don't have the infrastructure to handle it. How many taxi and buses have been destroyed? They have limited gas and power. So I agree we should go back, but first help them rebuild. If you bring people back to soon they won't have such great memories as we do.

Stop it! Think! They are not ready for tourism. What are you going to do? Are you going to get off the ship and stare at them. You are NOT going to the beach because the beaches are "swim at your own risk." Call a hotel in St. Maarten and ask them. Wait, you can't do that because there are no phone lines. We can't visit a place that is not ready to be visited.

Call RCCL and tell them it's just TOO soon!!

Soccergirl....while will it be OK to go there, how will you know, will you still keep saying it is too soon if one destroyed house is still not rebuilt.

Listen to the authorities on the island: St. Martin is asking cruise ships to return.

When we arrive in December we will go to Phillipsburg and buy from local vendors, eat at local restaurants, and drink at local bars. We will spend far more than the “check” says we owe, tip heavily, and probably hand out some $100 bills to locals.

If only one restaurant, one bar, one store is open then they will be the recipients of our spending and gifting. I can not help but believe that they will be happy to accept the money.

Have you any plans for contributing to their recovery. Have you already sent money. We have.