Garden Villa Question

ad69690

We found out we got upgraded to a garden villa room on the star as part of the bid program. We never dreamed that we would get it so we never really looked into the garden villa rooms. Any tips, tricks or advice? Also, my father is taking the same cruise, but in a balcony room, will he be able to tag along and take advantage of any special things we can?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on the upgrade! You beat us out...we are on the same cruise and also bid on the H1 :)

Can you give any details of your bid range and what type cabin you were in originally?

We were in the Star GV 14500 before and it is wonderful.

You will have your own sauna and hot tub and HUGE courtyard.

You will get 6 bottles of liquor and all of the water and soda you want.

Don't forget to arrange the Limo ride post cruise with the Concierge!

As to your dad...just ask the Concierge for a key card for your dad. You will need to use it in the elevators to access the 14th floor.

There are 3 "cabins" in the GV complex with their own key cards for the individual cabins. He can actually stay in one of the cabins if you want:)

It will be up to the Concierge if your dad can utilize the suite perks, such as breakfast and lunch in Moderno, priority tendering, show seating etc...just ask!

Edited by jvsnana

Thank you for the info.

Here's another one, what about laundry services for villa guests, is it discounted?

As for the bid range, I'll have to pump my husband for that info, he did it on a whim at work one day and won't tell me now (probably thinks I'll be mad because of how much it ended up lol).

Thank you for the info.

Here's another one, what about laundry services for villa guests, is it discounted?

As for the bid range, I'll have to pump my husband for that info, he did it on a whim at work one day and won't tell me now (probably thinks I'll be mad because of how much it ended up lol).

The GV on the Star and Dawn are our favorites. The deck area is amazing. As someone has mentioned they will make your dad a key so he will have access to the floor and your room. You can order any meals in and he can eat with you.

If I am thinking correctly one of the GVs has a galley and one more a bar. We prefer the one with the galley because we like having a microwave available.

As far as your dad staying with you that is not "allowed" since he is not registered in the room but may be overlooked. He would not be entitled to meals in Moderno but there again that may be overlooked. We have never received a GV as an upgrade and not sure how that would apply.

This is just a thought. Could he cancel his room and rebook in your room. That may be something to look into. He would not have any money coming back from his balcony except the taxes and port fees. We have added people to our room as close as 2 days prior to a cruise. You would have to pay the 3rd person rate but some time that is a low as $299 plus the taxes and port fees. That way there would be no question as to whether or not he would be entitled to the perks.

Also look at all the bedrooms before you choose one. The first time we stayed in it we chose what is the obvious master bedroom but since then have always stayed in the one that opens to the deck.

Enjoy your room. It is amazing.

Thank you for the info.

Laundry services are not discounted, however we asked the Butler if we could send out some items for pressing on the first day and he said that was complimentary :) There will be laundry specials during our 11 day cruise, so watch out for those.

The info on the bid range will be great to know, not the actual price ,lol. You will have such a wonderful time in the Villa especially knowing it was a winning bid and not full price :D

If I am thinking correctly one of the GVs has a galley and one more a bar. We prefer the one with the galley because we like having a microwave available...

As far as your dad staying with you that is not "allowed" since he is not registered in the room but may be overlooked. He would not be entitled to meals in Moderno but there again that may be overlooked...

Also look at all the bedrooms before you choose one. The first time we stayed in it we chose what is the obvious master bedroom but since then have always stayed in the one that opens to the deck.

Good info.

I will note that 14500 has the bar area with stools, 14000 has a more industrial galley type kitchen, both have microwaves. I prefer 14500.

We had our adult children stay with us in the GV, they were booked in another cabin. No problem, although I have read one couple had the other extra rooms locked. That would not fly with me. I asked the concierge if we could arrange for them to eat breakfast and lunch in Moderno and he accommodated, also giving them VIP status. Of course I let him know we recognized this was at his discretion and we would be most appreciative, that means we tipped him well.

We also prefer the back bedroom by the patio as the forward one can be noisy. In the 14500 back room you can get some kitchen noise from Moderno/Cagney's in the morning.

All great info, thank you so much!! Keep em coming, will give a sort of live from during the cruise and a review after. It's been awhile since we've cruised. We've mostly cruised Carnival (Plus DH has cruised Princess and I did one RCCL). We were kinda disgusted after our last one in 2012 and started doing adults only all inclusives since. I am hoping that NCL will be a true upgrade in itself and will erase our past mediocre experiences. We're looking forward to it.

Thank you again!

Cant speak for any GV other than the Gem. We have done it quite a few times. Our favorite thing was having breakfast waiting in the room in the morning and a few dinners as well. Your Dad is welcome to join you for the meals. Just be kind ($$) to the Butler. We always request a blender and mixers when we board or pre-concierge. Your laundry will come back the same day usually and discounts depend on your status, We are Platinum Plus so that works out well for us. The worst thing about the Villa is you'll never want to leave it and you'll have a tough time going back to any other room. We sail the Owners Suite and think its just too small. Enjoy it ! Its a bucket list item and you will have the time of your life.

Good info.

I will note that 14500 has the bar area with stools, 14000 has a more industrial galley type kitchen, both have microwaves. I prefer 14500.

We had our adult children stay with us in the GV, they were booked in another cabin. No problem, although I have read one couple had the other extra rooms locked. That would not fly with me. I asked the concierge if we could arrange for them to eat breakfast and lunch in Moderno and he accommodated, also giving them VIP status. Of course I let him know we recognized this was at his discretion and we would be most appreciative, that means we tipped him well.

We also prefer the back bedroom by the patio as the forward one can be noisy. In the 14500 back room you can get some kitchen noise from Moderno/Cagney's in the morning.

We have been in the GV on 5 different ships and have never had a microwave except when we were in the one with the galley type kitchen. Just curious where it is placed in the other ones?

I was only speaking as to the Star; 14500's microwave is in a upper cabinet shelf to the left as you walk into the bar area. Above the mini fridge on the wall facing the master bedroom's entry. It was a smallish residential unit and not like the commercial fixtures in 14000.

I was only speaking as to the Star; 14500's microwave is in a upper cabinet shelf to the left as you walk into the bar area. Above the mini fridge on the wall facing the master bedroom's entry. It was a smallish residential unit and not like the commercial fixtures in 14000.

That could be why we have never seen one. We have always had the galley on the Star and Dawn. But the other ships we have been on have never had a microwave. I have stepped across to the prep area in the haven and popped popcorn on occasion. I like it hot and fresh and it's easy enough to do myself.