NCL Out of New York - Best Airport?

ps4125

For hotel suggestions I would ask on the East Coast Departures Board.

For airports Laguardia, JFK or Newark are fine.

If you fly the day the cruise ends I would not book a flight before 1:00 PM as traffic can be bad plus there can be long lines at the airport.

Keith

First off where are you coming from ?

???

NYC area airports:

LGA - LaGuardia

EWR - Newark

JFK - Kennedy

For domestic arrivals-departures east of the Mississippi River LGA and EWR are preferred.

For cross country flights and Canada JFK would be the preferred airport.

But this is not a positive certain factor.

If you have a affinity relationship with an airline that comes into play also.

LGA is the closest airport to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

EWR would be the next closest

followed by JFK.

Bear in mind that you will have to use perhaps 2 or more forms of transportation to get to the

cruise terminal crossing rivers by bridge; tunnels; subways and grid locked freeway/expressways.

This will entail a lot of research here at CC and from other sources.

As Keith has noted about planning your departure back to home - flights departing after 1pm maybe

on the threshold of the bare minimum time to go from cruise terminal "A" to airport "B" and still comply

with the airlines check-in times and presence at the gate for boarding.

Suggested very heavily to plan on flights after 3pm although that may crimp a connection flight to your

final destination. Cruises are generally planned for the weekends so the rush hour factor is not a factor

but then weekend schedules vary from weekday ones.

Factor in clearing Customs and Immigration in how soon you can disembark the vessel and get on the

way to your airport.

If you live on the East Coast anywhere from Washington DC to Boston consider Amtrak as an alternative

to airline travel --- as the airlines point out in their safety announcement the closest exit door maybe behind

you - be aware of all your options - don't overlook any of them.

Knowing where you are coming from and returning to - some of us can provide further guidance.

Having a hotel reservation pre and post cruise maybe the security blanket needed to avoid pushing the

transportation envelope into dream the impossible dream and trying to recreate a Miracle of 42nd street.

LGA is not a walk in the park -

EWR is not over the hills and through the woods -

and JFK is not a stroll down a country lane -

All these take serious transportation coordination to a scheduled timed event !

Clicking those red ruby slippers isn't going to get you to Kansas.

Hot Air balloons will be a wrong way Corrigan - Phineas Fogg.

Star-Trek beaming will not put you in the right GPS quadrant.

This is a real time issue of travel from "A" to "B" via multiple points !

My advice - go at least two days before the cruise. NYC has so much to see, especially for the first time visitor. I would NOT stay near the airport. Get into town. It will be expensive, but then you can walk, take subway or quick uber/taxi to some places.

We have stayed within a few blocks of the cruise terminal in the past and would do it again.

As to airport - check to see what flights are available to get a better idea. Folks can make an argument for an against most of the three options. If you use New York City and not the specific airport name in most websites, it will help.

OP, looked like Sacrmento is your nearest home airport so I am guessing that you are unlikely flying nonstop into JFK or EWR, 1-stop connection can take you into all 3 area airports. How many of you, luggage and mobility issues, if any ? Factor these elements into your overall air/land transportation costs + transit time.

East Side destination forum has vast variety of resources, answers to these common FAQ and proven recommendations on deals on lodging, not just for NCL but for other mass market lines.

As a general rule, allow plenty ... lots of time for getting to/from the cruise terminal, which is in midtown West (MCT) ...

I would avoid LaGuardia at all costs. That airport is a nightmare and us locals NEVER fly in/out of there, ever. JFK is much better and the one I would recommend if you have a choice.

Absolutely correct. LaGuardia has been a total mess due to construction. The other day people were getting dropped off on the Grand Central Parkway and being forced to walk to their terminals. It's not an isolated incident either and has been happening a lot.

EWR and JFK have their downsides as well, but LGA should be avoided at all costs.

We've never been to NY and are contemplating a cruise to Bermuda out of NY. Which airport should we fly in and out of? Hotel suggestions? Thanks! :cool:

In my opinion JFK is the best airport . i do not have a hotel in mind but my suggestion is to stay away from hotels on the west side of Manhattan.

Enjoy the cruise

In my opinion JFK is the best airport . i do not have a hotel in mind but my suggestion is to stay away from hotels on the west side of Manhattan.

Enjoy the cruise

Is there some reason you say to avoid the Westside of Manhattan?

We flew into JFK on last trip and took train into city and walked to hotel - 8 blocks.

We left via LGA - was not too bad taking taxi. Only challenge is the number of people trying to do the same thing. We walked across the street from cruise terminal for 2 blocks past the lines waiting for cabs and got one in a minute or so.

We stayed on west side of Manhattan, about mid way between Times Square and Cruise Terminal

We flew into JFK and took a cab for $54 to the Skyline Hotel which is right near the port. We stayed for two days and toured. The worst part about JFK Was the skywalk. It was a very long trip from the baggage claim to the skywalk where you catch the cabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realize that other lines sail from Bayonne and Brooklyn...but NCL sails from Manhattan Cruise Terminal....at leas my last 3 sailings have.

David

If you're commenting on my reply to your previous post, what I was saying had nothing to do with which cruise lines sail from which cruise terminals. I was correcting your statement that taxi fares were fixed from both LGA and JFK. Flat fares are only in place between JFK and Manhattan. Taxis fares to and from LGA are metered.

Further, I specifically mentioned Manhattan so that people reading this thread who are not familiar with taxi regulations in NY don't come away with the mistaken idea that taxi fares from JFK to everywhere are fixed.

We flew into JFK and took a cab for $54 to the Skyline Hotel which is right near the port. We stayed for two days and toured. The worst part about JFK Was the skywalk. It was a very long trip from the baggage claim to the skywalk where you catch the cabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which JFK Terminal? Each terminal is different. The AA terminal 8 has cab rank outside the baggage claims.