MSC Customer Service / Cancellation Issue

DickyGB

Hi there,

Has anyone else had problems dealing with MSC customer services?

We've previously called them and been told to email and on several occasions not had responses.

Our latest is really annoying. We've booked a very short trip on the Sea view for next November. However we subsequently booked a much longer Splendida, cruise which sails over the same date. With over a years notice, I have called and now emailed to ask to cancel.

With over a years notice and due to the fact that we have gone for another much longer cruise it didn't occur that MSC would refuse the refund. It's not the amount, but the principle that really gets to me.

We love their cruises and currently have 7 forthcoming trips booked.

I have appealed to their email response saying "rules is rules" and am now not getting any response from them.

Shockingly bad service in my opinion and our last cruise we will take if this is how they treat loyal customers.

Be warned and aware all! :(

I see your profile says Uttoxeter, which google tells me is in the UK. Assuming you booked via the UK site orba UK TA the booking terms and conditions are very clear about the £100 pp deposit being non-refundable. I don't understand why you say it's evidence of bad service to hold you to a contract that you agreed to when making the booking? I'm sure you'd want MSC to honor the parts of the contract that protect you. Of course if you paid your entire fare early and they're refusing to refund the amount over the deposit that's a different story, is that what's happening?

Hey Tina,

The bad service is that you call and get told to email. But when you email, you don't get a reply. Or am I just being petty? :rolleyes:

I fully understand and appreciate "T&C's for anything, but however would common sense or a little flexibility not be considered do you think?

We wish to cancel a 1 night cruise booked more than a year in advance due to booking onto any MSC cruise lasting 28 nights in length over the same period.

I feel aggrieved :mad:

Hey Tina,

The bad service is that you call and get told to email. But when you email, you don't get a reply. Or am I just being petty? :rolleyes:

I fully understand and appreciate "T&C's for anything, but however would common sense or a little flexibility not be considered do you think?

We wish to cancel a 1 night cruise booked more than a year in advance due to booking onto any MSC cruise lasting 28 nights in length over the same period.

I feel aggrieved :mad:

Ah okay, I understand what you meant now and no, I don't think it's petty or unreasonable to expect a response to your email.

On the other hand, while I completely understand the underlying desire to get your deposit back and the hope that MSC would exercise some flexibility I can't understand what you were trying to communicate with the rest of your post. It sounds less like your message is that MSC is firm on their cancellation policies (simply as a matter of fact) and more like your message is that MSC has wronged you in some way or owes you something, and I just don't agree. When I buy something that's listed as 'final-sale' if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I wish so hard I could get my money back, but I can't. I knew that before I bought it, and bought it anyway. Griping (for lack of a better word) that the store won't give me my money back is for the birds.

I've took 2 MSC cruises last year and have one more booked. Never been told to email when I have a question. That must be coming from what ever office you have to deal with from Europe/England. I too would not like doing that.

But as to your issue, I would have at least called and asked ahead of time if I could have changed cruises, instead of asking after the fact. Not sure if that would helped, but might have.

Never been told to email when I have a question. That must be coming from what ever office you have to deal with from Europe/England.

We called Customer Service but were told our request had to be in writing/email format.

Hi there,

Has anyone else had problems dealing with MSC customer services?

We've previously called them and been told to email and on several occasions not had responses.

Our latest is really annoying. We've booked a very short trip on the Sea view for next November. However we subsequently booked a much longer Splendida, cruise which sails over the same date. With over a years notice, I have called and now emailed to ask to cancel.

With over a years notice and due to the fact that we have gone for another much longer cruise it didn't occur that MSC would refuse the refund. It's not the amount, but the principle that really gets to me.

We love their cruises and currently have 7 forthcoming trips booked.

I have appealed to their email response saying "rules is rules" and am now not getting any response from them.

Shockingly bad service in my opinion and our last cruise we will take if this is how they treat loyal customers.

Be warned and aware all! :(

To be able to recuperate your deposit you should have called them before making the second booking and asked them to 'transfer' your reservation to the Splendida.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be able to recuperate your deposit you should have called them before making the second booking and asked them to 'transfer' your reservation to the Splendida.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You aren't listening :D

To be honest the second cruise was booked with an external agent and without realising that the date co-incided with first.

We book a lot of cruises! One a month.

They just won't be with MSC anymore :(

MSC Website states: Cancellation requests must be in email, fax or post.

I guess this is why you were told to send an email (you can't cancel by phone). I always received a reasonably prompt reply, but also no flexibility to break the contract terms & conditions.

I would be interested if any other cruise line booked from the UK allows free cancellations and deposit refund.

If you think another cruiseline would treat this matter any differently - you're wrong!

The reason MSC won't accept the cancellation from a phone call is that they need something on record to show that you requested cancellation. The issue of not getting a response raises the question: did you use the correct email address? Did you get an automated answer? If not, I'd advise you email them again.